LegacyGT.com

SPT Intake Out - Stock Box Back In

Carter

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have it good with heat soak as far as turbo engines go.

I had a A4 with the longitudinal 1.8t. Some German engineer thought it was a great idea to put the intake about 6" from the turbo. That thing would heat soak like CRAZY. I could sit in traffic on a hot day and watch the water temp needle slowly tick over. It could barely keep itself running with the A/C going, much less get anywhere in a hurry. The 2.5 turbo in our cars is fantastic in comparison.

it's well documented that the SPT intake "sucks" quite literally.

Go with either the InJen or AVO intake that gets the air from the duct from the bumper and actually sucks in cooler air than engine bay air.

You're also soon going to not car about voiding your warranty, specially when the AP comes out for the '07's/'08's.

it's well documented that the SPT intake "sucks" quite literally.

Go with either the InJen or AVO intake that gets the air from the duct from the bumper and actually sucks in cooler air than engine bay air.

You're also soon going to not car about voiding your warranty, specially when the AP comes out for the '07's/'08's.

Consider the AEM CAI as well.

I live in the valley in California and honestly havent noticed, or havent tried to notice any power loss due to heat or due to my SPT intake. Which, yes makes a little noise, but does add some HP to my 07' leg. Without it I have no noise and basic stock hp. I have no prob commuting in the heat @ 90mph. I wouldnt want to race (profesionaly in the heat) but other than that the difference seems very subtle, and the LGt has enough horses to get past a little heat dont you think.... and a 98 explorer almost beat you,. you might want to rethink your driving style more than change your intake...put it in Sport and put the hammer down... then wait.... then its over :)

Sorry I didn't specify AEM CAI. You know what I meant. High(er) air flow aftermarket cold air intake with heat shield.

From what I understand, the OEM intake is an excellent system. One of the AEM tuners on this site (TDC?) posted that the OEM CAI is good for all power modding purposes until really big hp (400+?) levels.

My contention is that Subaru engineers didn't leave easy to be had hp gains lying on the workbench.

From what I understand, the OEM intake is an excellent system. One of the AEM tuners on this site (TDC?) posted that the OEM CAI is good for all power modding purposes until really big hp (400+?) levels.

My contention is that Subaru engineers didn't leave easy to be had hp gains lying on the workbench.

That doesn't negate the fact that an aftermarket is better if done right.

That doesn't negate the fact that an aftermarket is better if done right.

Doing it right would require a tune. That's fine, but probably what would happen is that performance would be lost in other running conditions. The TDC (?) post remarked on this. It's all about compromise such as getting decent performance and relaibility from -40C to +40C. The OEM tune is quite remarkable in that regard IHMO.

Archived