LegacyGT.com

SPT Intake Out - Stock Box Back In

Carter

^ The OEM system is very efficient. AEM's are a waste of money unless you're running really big power mods. As I mentioned previously, Subaru engineers aren't going to leave easy gains sitting on the workbench.

Actually, my AEM CAI's "functionality" is superior to the stock system. Having the means at hand to swap back and forth to test them I have found that the AEM, once properly calibrated, offers two distinct advantages over the stock system, power gains aside.

For one, the stock system will NEVER provide air as close to ambient as the AEM. Period. That big plastic assembly heatsoaks quickly and stays that way. At best it will get withing 5-7 degrees of ambient if you run it long enough to clear whatever heatsoak you can.

Secondly, LTFT were unstable on the stock system. This shocked and puzzled me but extensive tests over several swaps left no doubt. The AEM on the other hand has remained stable now for months inside of 1% LTFT.

The sounds enabled by the AEM are coveted by some and reviled by others. I suppose I like it. Even if I didn't like it I would put up with it for the two reasons above.

It is true, however, that there is little performance advantage.... other than the fact it supplies cooler air, thus keeps timing stabilized lower along with whatever power comes from cooler air.... on a VF40 system, except at the top of that turbo's performance envelope.

One can, and some do, keep their stock intakes and exhausts even with bigger turbos. It is a personal balancing act. But for those of us who leave few stones unturned in our search for all the performance we can unearth the AEM CAI is an integral part of the overall picture.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, my AEM CAI's "functionality" is superior to the stock system. Having the means at hand to swap back and forth to test them I have found that the AEM, once properly calibrated, offers two distinct advantages over the stock system, power gains aside.

For one, the stock system will NEVER provide air as close to ambient as the AEM. Period. That big plastic assembly heatsoaks quickly and stays that way. At best it will get withing 5-7 degrees of ambient if you run it long enough to clear whatever heatsoak you can.

Secondly, LTFT were unstable on the stock system. This shocked and puzzled me but extensive tests over several swaps left no doubt. The AEM on the other hand has remained stable now for months inside of 1% LTFT.

The sounds enabled by the AEM are coveted by some and reviled by others. I suppose I like it. Even if I didn't like it I would put up with it for the two reasons above.

It is true, however, that there is little performance advantage.... other than the fact it supplies cooler air, thus keeps timing stabilized lower along with whatever power comes from cooler air.... on a VF40 system, except at the top of that turbo's performance envelope.

One can, and some do, keep their stock intakes and exhausts even with bigger turbos. It is a personal balancing act. But for those of us who leave few stones unturned in our search for all the performance we can unearth the AEM CAI is an integral part of the overall picture.

Sounds like you are running heavy mods and probably for drag racing. If that is the case, an AEM CAI to mitigate heat soak would be a stone to turn over. As a first mod, meh. It's not going to really net you much.

Sounds like you are running heavy mods and probably for drag racing. If that is the case, an AEM CAI to mitigate heat soak would be a stone to turn over. As a first mod, meh. It's not going to really net you much.[/quote]

You are correct. Certainly NOT a first mod.

Also, although I don't drag race this car I do have it extensively modded with more to come. If I did not self-tune with Street Tuner my results would not have been so positive. When I had it tuned either by dyno or eTune the results were not that good. My comments had more to do with potentials in certain cases, and perspective. The practical reality is that most will be better off with the stock intake system with an AVO or similar filter.

This argument has gone way past pointless and one sided, but I got a big kick out of this ...

Lets see the variance with both then, because i'm calling a big B.S. here. And were you switching maps as you went back and forth between AEM and stock each time?

This argument has gone way past pointless and one sided, but I got a big kick out of this ...

Lets see the variance with both then, because i'm calling a big B.S. here. And were you switching maps as you went back and forth between AEM and stock each time?

Apparently you do not log. Nor self tune. And your comments are not constructive nor instructive.

It is not an "argument," it is information. Use it or not.

Apparently you do not log. Nor self tune. And your comments are not constructive nor instructive.

It is not an "argument," it is information. Use it or not.

There's a difference though between slapping on an AEM or AVO CAI that actually performs as a CAI and using a tune vs. slapping on an AEM or AVO CAI on a stock car.

Obviously, region also plays a part of where you're using the intake as well.

Data logging and such with a CAI intake is part of the reason that they're designed in the first place. If the CAI didn't suck in cold air, then what's the point?

However a 5-7 degree variant on a stock airbox I would say is a bit off. The whole point of the stock system is to bring up the air from the front air damn from under the hood. I would say that that the stock airbox is getting a 10-15 degree variant from the engine temp.

Heat soak is going to happen and does happen even with CAI's. That said, the AEM/AVO do a better job of sucking the colder air up due to design and don't get heat soaked as quick.

So while in some cases, yes the CAI's are better, in some cases the stock box is better. However if you get into numbers/tunes/data logging and so on, depends on the mods, depends on the car, depends on the driver and ultimately the tune.

I've seen numbers on both sides of the isle so really, it depends.

I think stewert's response is more based on what the variables are with the car you have and/or cars you've seen or data logged to state your point of view on the matter.

So while in some cases, yes the CAI's are better, in some cases the stock box is better. However if you get into numbers/tunes/data logging and so on, depends on the mods, depends on the car, depends on the driver and ultimately the tune.

I've seen numbers on both sides of the isle so really, it depends.

The EOM is fine for most purposes. Even a tuned AEM CAI won't really net you that much at all at the wheels over the stock intake. However, if you're into engine moddding and tuning then why not go for it.

The EOM is fine for most purposes. Even a tuned AEM CAI won't really net you that much at all at the wheels over the stock intake. However, if you're into engine moddding and tuning then why not go for it.

sure, why not.. but it does depend. I've seen fully tuned Stage 2+ cars pulling some nice #'s on the stock box. However if you go above Stage 2, the stock box gets to be a hurdle. The application and the price for it on a stock car will not see the benefits that a tuned/heavily modified car would have.

Guest DJ Proez
All I have to say is they aren't stupid when they design cars. The stock box has inlets right under the hood for a reason. You will get colder air with the stock than with an intake.

this thread is about someone almost getting beat by a ford explorer! I am thinking more time behind the wheel is the only thing that will help. If you are not famliliar with reving it up and driving these cars where the power is you will not get much of a start. BUT A FORD EXPLORER!

It was 110 degrees in SoCal last week I didn't notice much of a loss.

A FORD EXPLORER! :eek:

this thread is about someone almost getting beat by a ford explorer! I am thinking more time behind the wheel is the only thing that will help. If you are not famliliar with reving it up and driving these cars where the power is you will not get much of a start. BUT A FORD EXPLORER!

mighta been an explorer sport :lol:

How am I supposed to "rev it up" with a 5 EAT without runing the TC let alone void my warranty?? And sorry, my flux capacitor was broken that day. :rolleyes:

:whore: even an automatic should win

All I have to say is they aren't stupid when they design cars. The stock box has inlets right under the hood for a reason. You will get colder air with the stock than with an intake.

minus 1

even? no... with three tires I could beat a explorer with my auto lgt! stock! if we where racing in deathvalley in the summer a lgt could beat a explorer. apples and oranges... apples and oranges.... I may stretch a little and say the first 40 feet or so might be close but after that.. forget about it

First: SPT intakes are just for noise. Myself and others found this out the hard way, you did now as well.

Second: Power without actually voiding warranty is nearly impossible. SOA claims a ridiculous gain in HP from their SPT intake & exhaust, it's completely false.

Sorry if this is a repeat. Carry on.

Edit: When it gets hot, I just let the midget out of my trunk to run up front and spray some water onto my intercooler. Works like a charm; gets difficult when the car's moving though.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Archived