LegacyGT.com

SPT Intake Out - Stock Box Back In

Carter

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That doesn't negate the fact that an aftermarket is better if done right.

Yes I think it makes sense that a properly tuned OEM intake and a properly tuned AEM CAI ran under identical conditions would reveal the aftermarket CAI would make more power.

Doing it right would require a tune. That's fine, but probably what would happen is that performance would be lost in other running conditions. The TDC (?) post remarked on this. It's all about compromise such as getting decent performance and relaibility from -40C to +40C. The OEM tune is quite remarkable in that regard IHMO.

Are you saying the custom TDC tune I just ordered is good only for a smaller window of temperature than the stocker?

Are you saying the custom TDC tune I just ordered is good only for a smaller window of temperature than the stocker?

Most likely. Tunes all involve some amount of compromise somewhere. Serious race tuners set cars up for temperature ranges of just a few degrees for a given race day. The OEM intake and tune is for a wide range of conditions. If, let's say, you live in a warm climate and tune the car for your prevalent conditions taking the car into a cooler climate will probably result in some loss of performance in those prevailing conditions.

Put it this way, if all Subaru had to do was to stick an AEM intake on their cars to get instant better performance instead of designing and engineering their own, they would do it. They don't though, however, because there isn't much to be gained overall and probably more to lose from a reliability and warranty standpoint.

oem take more into consideration then performance. cost, servicability, how it can handel adverse conditions, and fuel milage

The hp gains to be had from AEM intakes even with proper tunes are minimal at the expense overall functionality and other things such as those you listed. The OEM system would be fine until really big hp mods are made and only then because much more air would be needed.

stock is fine.

that's what i am trying to get at. IF it is proven that the aftermarket actually filters as good or better while flowing more air, then yeah, improvement can be had. if not, then it is a give and take and one can't knock the stock system for trying to filter more dirt than flowing max air.

The point of an aftermarket filter is to filter the same amount of particulates, but just not suffocate for the purpose of muffling the sound. If I had to guess, I'd say the stock filter does catch a little bit more stuff, but that IS at the expense of performance.

Archived