LegacyGT.com

Heard a squeak = bad hub seal

Sponge

Just an FYI for anyone that may start to hear a low squeal that sounds like your brakes...

Took it in today to have the pads cleaned up thinking its what was causing the squeal...well they cleaned them and then drove it and still heard the squeal.

Amazing they did! Usually its 2 return trips in my experience with dealership's...Gerald Subaru Service is good in my books.

Pulled it back in pulled it apart and the seal has gone bad on the front left hub...

Only 5,600 miles....is this common? Or did I just get lucky?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're not alone....I think you just diagnosed my issue too. 11,932 miles and I have a squeal from the same corner.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Probably not related, but can anyone tell me why I get black goo consistently on my wheels, right around the lugnuts? Takes some inceredibly hard rubbing to remove it. All 4 wheels, been like this since I have owned it.
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

There is no grease on the boots that I can tell. I just installed some coilovers and didn't notice any. I have absolutely no idea where the stuff comes from. It might just be black because brake dust get on the greasy substance.
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

well when you said black goo and you also said you had a hard time cleaning your wheels, first guess was bad CV joint. had the same thing happen to me. That shit does not like to come off. LOL.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

I have it on my B rims...since new, right around the lug nuts. I highly doubt CV grease at this point, for me at least. Maybe on a slightly older car....but at all 4 on a newer car? Highly improbable.

Do I have a clue what it is? no.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

You're not alone....I think you just diagnosed my issue too. 11,932 miles and I have a squeal from the same corner.

Good deal glad I could help!

Just picked it up and the squeal is gone...he said it would have gotten worse if I hadn't brought it in.

He also said he was really suprised to see it and the first he has seen one on a new one. He said it probably wasn't seated correctly at the time of assembly. Then he thru in the comment of how it proves its good to have humans assembling vs. machines :lol:

BTW sat in a new WRX hatch...nicer interior, the exterior is very ho hum and bland. This dealership also sells Kia's and told him it looks just like the Kia on the other side of the show room...he didn't think it was as funny as I did.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I think I just got this issue, was driving to get some food and when I pulled in to the lot I noticed a squeal or squeak noise and thought it was someone elses car but when i went through the drive-thru beside the building it was much more evident and loud. Sounds like its the drivers front aswell, gonna have to get this fixed ASAP.

I think I just got this issue, was driving to get some food and when I pulled in to the lot I noticed a squeal or squeak noise and thought it was someone elses car but when i went through the drive-thru beside the building it was much more evident and loud. Sounds like its the drivers front aswell, gonna have to get this fixed ASAP.

+1

started friday night.

is this a warrenty-covered issue?

does this fall under 36k basic?

or under the ##k drivetrain warrenty?

Should be the basic 36K, yes it you will hear it much more clearly driving along a wall. I was in the express lane on the toll road when I noticed it.

Underdog have them drive it slowly thru a quite neigborhood if they are driving it around a dealership I doubt they will hear it. Roll the window down and kill the raido.

I think mine is back I noticed a noise the other day again...have to take it in for the 7K oil change this week I'll have them take a look again.

Archived