LegacyGT.com

Car broken into

UPDATE:

thieves are dumb :rolleyes:

one of my accounts that was in the process of closing (waiting for the rent check to clear) just had a check written from it that i didn't write. notified the bank, who notified their fraud team, i'll be getting that money back (since the handwriting on the checks isn't even close) and the fees to stop payments will be waived too. called the police dept and left a message w/ the officer who is handling the case, since the crook was dumb enough to write a phone number on top of the check at the place that he used it. hopefully its a valid phone number ;)

its an NYC number though, 212. looked it up in google :lol:

Darwinism at it's best!! :D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I would close that account immediately. Let the rent check bounce and talk to the rental agency about the situation, rather than leave the account open and have these idiots writing checks to it.

Didn't read the whole thread but dude you had way too much stuff in your car, its not like its your personal garage attached to your house, and even then... ;) Hope it turns out ok in the end but that check business is scary :(

yeah, its a check for my roommate, its gone through his bank, hasn't shown up in mine yet, the rest of the checks are stopped, and actually hopefully this will help us catch the person(s). we'll see i guess. i'm more worried about someone trying to steal my identity to get a loan or CC or something like that. gonna have to run my credit report again and see what's going on there.

Damn man, that sucks.

Heres some good reading for you... http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs17a.htm

I would suggest you follow those steps and call one of the credit bureaus and set up a fraud alert...that way if anyone tries to take credit out in your name the bank will have to contact you first.

Good luck man.

PS. Oh noes, they know your real name. :eek::lol:

Glad to hear about the update, Groff.

When my car was stolen 10 years ago, nothing ever came of it except getting it back after the thieves stripped it ditched it.

Usually the cops go after car theft cases here in the same urgency as 'neighbor's dog pooped on my lawn.'

yeah, police aren't being very helpful. this phone number might just receive a random call today from a restricted number...hmm...who could i be...verizon maybe looking to improve their service and i gotta confirm their address to make sure it wasn't one of the houses effected by the storms recently.

O H3LL.

was just talking with another person at work and showed them the check, then complained it was a NYC (212) number, and they were like no it looks like 802 to me...which is VT local. yeah, looked that up on google and now someone is gonna get pwn3d if the police don't call me back (again).

well i'm pretty sure we can't post names here or numbers or i would. but at any rate, with the number i looked it up in google, got the name, went to the phone book but the address is just listed as "burl" for burlington. so i googled the name, it came up in a few UVM articles, so i'm having my roommates gf look up the name in their student and staff directory today when she gets on campus to see if someone pops up. if anybody is a crimestopper out there and wants the name or number for official police business ;) PM me, i could use some help since i'll be out of town this weekend.

Sounds like the thiefs may be kids if I had to guess. I mean older kids of course (19-22). If it is still local in VT, be thankful, last thing you want is for your identity to fall in NYC! I can see all sorts of things with your name already!

GL and do not keep so much important stuff in your car!

X

---

Archived