LegacyGT.com

all mods, all at once

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the fab work that is needed.........Shhhhhhhit!!!!

Even with the litte bit of fab work (BOV mount) it is far less than any other kit...ignorance! If you had a valid claim, maybe in regards to the efficientcy of the core or something then. But to say it is $hit cause a little fab work needs to be done is :spin: Its not like they are hiding the facts...

Any other FMIC options I'm missing that retain stock bumper beam?

While not quite available for purchase yet, COBB has a FMIC coming that retains bumper beam and fog lights. May even have an option for CF pipes and end tanks! Bling FTW! :lol: :lol:

Of course, with all the research you've been doing you probably already know about this and are unwilling to wait for COBB's notoriously long lead time with new products.

Got to admit it's good stuff though!

A little fab work?

Not from what I have read.........I always prefer installing parts that were made for the car. True the other kits are more expensive but they are made for the LGT. Not having to ghetto mod parts to get them to fit means alot to most owners.

Aside from that I have never been impressed with the quality of there products. Yes they are cheaper, knockoff's always are.........

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Tempted to throw step-by-step tweaking and modding to the wind, and just go all out, all at once.

Folks with highly modded LGTs, how did you go about the process? How did your approach/thoughts change as you got bit more by the modding bug?

11/26/07 Parts List Update is here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1524452#post1524452

Yikes! That is a big list! I have two pieces to add...

1) Everyone I know that "went big" all at once ended up with a car down for years and eventually parting it all out and selling it off... I can't think of one person that was successful with the all-at-once approach, or they completed the car and then had to sell it right away because they were broke. The task, money, and time all become overwhelming...

2) Do a staged approach... the money you put in to it seems less painful and you get to enjoy each little mod longer.. stock power feels fast at first, then you get used to it, but make a change and the car feels fast again, but then you get used to that and need more... even a fast car will feel dog slow once you get used to it... spread it out and make the euphoria last longer...

Bring up some good points SSpeed. I thought about a staged approach as well for months and months, hehe.

There is certainly something tempting about a TMIC and turbo upgrade along with pump and injectors and calling it a day. especially since I would probably be happy with it for a couple of years. Costs, complications and reliability issues would all certainly be much less.

However, made the mistake with my last car of going very slowly with mods, and ended up enjoying the last round for only a year or so before getting rid of the car when it was 8.5 years old. There's also the time spent selling used parts and sourcing new/used parts. Rather deal with it in one go.

I most certainly will be keeping the LGT wagon for at least as long, if not longer. It serves so many roles so well, and I want to enjoy the mods for as long as possible.

The setup I'm aiming for is really my dream Subaru wagon, meeting 98%+ of what I want in a car, and should keep me happy for many, many years. If I want more power, there's the option of some internal trans/engine work and sticking on the biggest stock location turbo possible, WI and an EWG without having to replace much at all on the setup.

Modding never makes financial sense, so let's get that out of the way. :) To rationalise the expense, I am lucky enough to have the play money resources, the car is paid off, I have a great Subaru performance shop literally a few miles away and I don't use the car to get to work.

I think one of the biggest reasons though, and this might sound extremly weird to some, is the excitement factor. The day I see and hear the car roll off the dyno and hit the road, I'm going to be floating a foot off the ground. Lame? Materialistic? Probably. But I think the first time I drive it will make it worth it. And so will the first time I have passengers in it, the first time I see a STI driver looking past my wagon with a canoe on the roof looking for the other burbling STI at a light, the first time I get a decent shove while accelerating on the highway, etc...

Maybe I am going about it wrong, will certainly say that in this thread in six months if that is the case!

I most certainly will be keeping the LGT wagon for at least as long, if not longer. It serves so many roles so well, and I want to enjoy the mods for as long as possible.

I can definitely see this argument too, if you are going to do the mod eventually, why not do it right away and get the most enjoyment out of it...

I can definitely see this argument too, if you are going to do the mod eventually, why not do it right away and get the most enjoyment out of it...

I totally agree with that.

Some people just get their last mod on the car, and then sell it a few months later. Makes no sense to me.

I bought my car to mod, if I couldn't mod it I would have got a different car.

A different car would have cost more, so instead of making higher monthly payments, I make lower monthly payments plus my modding cash.

I actually want to enjoy my mods.;)

I totally agree with that.

Some people just get their last mod on the car, and then sell it a few months later. Makes no sense to me.

I bought my car to mod, if I couldn't mod it I would have got a different car.

A different car would have cost more, so instead of making higher monthly payments, I make lower monthly payments plus my modding cash.

I actually want to enjoy my mods.;)

Lots of folks are like that though. Look at all the restored cars for sale. Many enjoy the process of restoring/modding, and after some enjoyment of the finished product, get bored and want to start again.

I fall into the opposite camp. I spend a lot of time, too much time, researching big ticket items, get what I want, and keep them for years and years.

As for other cars, nothing really falls into matching what I want in a car, another reason I guess I don't mind laying out cash for mods. I wanted a wagon/hatch, RWD/AWD, manual transmission, and either amazing stock or modded performance potential. That right there elimated all but a handful of Subaru, Audi, and BMW vehicles. With the Audis and BMWs, I would have to have paid at least triple the initial/mod cost to match performance, nevermind the additional higher insurance and maintenance costs.

Lots of folks are like that though. Look at all the restored cars for sale. Many enjoy the process of restoring/modding, and after some enjoyment of the finished product, get bored and want to start again.

I fall into the opposite camp. I spend a lot of time, too much time, researching big ticket items, get what I want, and keep them for years and years.

As for other cars, nothing really falls into matching what I want in a car, another reason I guess I don't mind laying out cash for mods. I wanted a wagon/hatch, RWD/AWD, manual transmission, and either amazing stock or modded performance potential. That right there elimated all but a handful of Subaru, Audi, and BMW vehicles. With the Audis and BMWs, I would have to have paid at least triple the initial/mod cost to match performance, nevermind the additional higher insurance and maintenance costs.

I will also be keeping my car for another 5 years or so. And, like you, also don't have many other cars to choose from that meet my goals (modded or stock)

-AWD

-over 300 whp

-sedan

-less then 3500 lbs

total cost in CAD dollars (including mods) 55ish

Weight and greenhouse were additional factors. I came from a car that weighed 2600 pounds. Every car I test drove felt like a boat, especially the Audi A4. The high sills was also something I didn't like.

The Forester was great in giving a huge airy cabin feel with low sills, but the LGT was close enough. BMW 3-series wasn't bad.

I also didn't want all of the extra electronic crap on the German vehicles. The Subaru HVAC is enough to drive me crazy.

Scary to think that the new STI weighs more than my car. Same goes with the EVO. Traditional manuals are disappearing from the marketplace as well. All the more reason to think I am going to keep the LGT for a very long time.

Also comforting knowing that when I do blow the transmission/engine on hopefully a glorious day on the track, there will be plenty of Subaru engine/transmission options to choose from for reasonable cost, considering what it is. Well, might not be reasonable for the DSM or domestic crowd, but compared to the cars in the class, they will be.

With all the fab work that is needed.........Shhhhhhhit!!!!

Wow! Will you please admit you don't know what your are talking about. I have no ideal where you are getting your info from? You said your info is from what you read? Did you read this thread? Here I will give you the link . http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43950&highlight=diy+fmic

I am the person that made the prototype for XO Racing. They saw my work on that thread and wanted to buy my setup. I found that the stock XO racing WRX/STi kit FMIC and tubing would fit our cars for the most part. I used their kit because the hot and cold sides don't cross. The turn that you see off the turbo is how the WRX kit is made. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/152535.jpghttp://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/154207.jpg All I added was this flange. http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/141340.jpg This is before I trimmed it. The only Problems was the turbo outlet and the location of the Throttle Body. As you read in the thread I was trying to make the simplest fix (Not Ghetto or shabby) for the problems, that everyone could copy. I had a flange made so our turbo would meet up with the WRX kit. I had to cut the TB side and add a new 90 deg. bend. I fab the whole thing so you would be able to easily put the car back to stock. You do not cut anything except trim the bumper beam. With this kit the only "fabbing" you have to do is add a BOV/BPV flange. You "may" have to make brackets for the IC. I say may because I have not yet got to test fit the production version and don't know what included in the kit. So what do you mean by "With all that fab work that is needed......Shhhhhit!!!" How much fabbing would make the Perrin FMIC shhhhit? Didn't you have the Perrin FMIC on your car? It probably cost over $1200 and fit "perfect". We All know how well Perrin stuff "fits". "No adjustments" I can see if you want to talk about the core. I have not found any info that XO racing IC cores are bad. They have been using the same core on WRX and STi for awhile.

Please, the forums are here to help people and spread info on others experience and knowlege. Not to comment on something you know nothing about and be very hostile and use vulgar language. Just wait till it comes out and see what the people have to say that bought it. If you read the link I added I'm not getting payed for each kit that is sold. I just don't like people posting untruths and try to defame the work that I have done. When you have NO WAY of knowing what you said is true. Do you? RIF(Reading Is Fundamental) So read the link and if you have any question then I will answer them. Until then stop spreading info that you don't even know or have no way of knowing is true. Do you?????????

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

A little fab work?

Not from what I have read.........I always prefer installing parts that were made for the car. True the other kits are more expensive but they are made for the LGT. Not having to ghetto mod parts to get them to fit means alot to most owners.

Aside from that I have never been impressed with the quality of there products. Yes they are cheaper, knockoff's always are.........

Silly....:lol:

A little fab work?

Are you high????:spin: What do you mean by "ghetto mod"? The flange in the picture is the "prototype". That means it not the production piece. Just a mock up. You have no ideal what you are talking about. Two small piece were added to a WRX kit that has been out for a while. So where did you get all your info from? IF you are going to say something. Please back it up.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Then where is the new piece??

Or are we still talking "prototype" FMIC's??

As I mentioned before, I have never been impressed with the quality of there products. Maybe they have stepped up to the plate and taken care of the lack of quality.

And actually my Perrin fit great after Jeff finally sent me the correct piping on the famous "drivers side fog"

I realize there are many Subaru owners & alot of Honda owners that like to mod in the cheapest way they possibly can. I personally never understood that thinking though & I never will......

As far as the language goes......who is using more profanity here sweetheart......

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Then where is the new piece??

Or are we still talking "prototype" FMIC's??

As I mentioned before, I have never been impressed with the quality of there products. Maybe they have stepped up to the plate and taken care of the lack of quality.

And actually my Perrin fit great after Jeff finally sent me the correct piping on the famous "drivers side fog"

I realize there are many Subaru owners & alot of Honda owners that like to mod in the cheapest way they possibly can. I personally never understood that thinking though & I never will......

As far as the language goes......who is using more profanity here sweetheart......

Let's recap. At first you said the kit was crap because the extra fabbing. Fact is you don't know. Can you please tell the truth you don't know. Now for the core. I really don't know how much better one is then the other. But all the stuff you complain about fabbing. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!. Come on say it. "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!" Finally, I only used the "S" word to copy you. I love you too. sweetheart