LegacyGT.com

Subaru, Toyota will build small sports car

Legacy BoB

if that drawing is how its gonna look in real life

subaru has made a very sexy car...

Indeed. I don't even need the turbo...though I will take one.

Course, maybe Toyota made the design. The latest reveal of the LF-A is one pretty sick lookin ride.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd box up the fender flares a bit, and meld them horizontally into the fenders.

I'd black out the fog light pockets, and pull the whole chin spoiler back, behind the bumper line.

Not sure what the point of a fake, blocked-up grille slit is... Why not fit the headlights right to the character line, and fit the hood seam to the front bumper cover without the fake grille.

Black out the center of the roof... (and the car had better be a lift-back...)

The rear quarter windows look like those on the Solstice Coupe... not that bad... but perhaps should use a bit of the "hoffmeister kink" from the BL Legacy's rear quarter windows, toned down smaller to fit the trailing edge of those coupe quarter windows.

The rear fenders look odd from that angle. They look like really big hips. They might as well blend into the body character line, and blend smoothly to the door opening, and the tail panel, instead of having more crease lines.

Pretty good... but could be a tad bit cleaner.

If it comes out with a turbo engine and AWD, I am trading in my LGT for it. Plain and simple. I always wanted a 240sx with all wheel drive and a proper turbo engine. :)

Article suggesting it would cost about 1 million yen, in Subaru STI trim, that makes it about $33K. This is very well priced, but I would not be surprised if it came in at about what the current STI prices at.

Looks completely photochopped to me. They just took the Toyota photos and modified it.

Look at the last picture comparing the vehicle dimensions. Take a look at the reflection especially on the windscreen and compare the two cars.

The wheels on the other pictures are obviously cut and pasted too.

And what information and/or sources do you have to back up your claim?

Just look at the dimensions and they make no sense. Subaru only 20mm longer with longer (!) wheelbase - with the engine hanging in front of the front axle? (because of AWD as the article states)

It's BS. Like most of the Jap rags are known for. Don't remember all the garbage chops of upcoming then 2010 Legacy?

But I guess it's a food for fanbois so they can fantasize...

I still disagree with you. What makes you think that Subaru is going to put their current trans/diff on the vehicle? Maybe they are going to do what Audi did and put the diff ahead of the transmission which will enable them to maintain the front axle forward. Who knows? Either way, I will wait and see what happens but to me these magazines have more credibility (despite their fanboy status) than a hunch.

I still disagree with you. What makes you think that Subaru is going to put their current trans/diff on the vehicle? Maybe they are going to do what Audi did and put the diff ahead of the transmission which will enable them to maintain the front axle forward. Who knows? Either way, I will wait and see what happens but to me these magazines have more credibility (despite their fanboy status) than a hunch.

Putting front diff in front of the clutch like recently Audi (it's already in front of the transmission) did reduce the overhang quite a bit, I think about 6 inches in A4. This is still not enough to maintain favorable f/r weight balance in the RWD version. If the car is to have good handling there is no way there will be "symmetrical" AWD variant.

The only possible option would be a non-symmetrical layout with the diff being in an offset position. Doubtful as this is difficult with a boxer engine and the exhaust manifold being in the way.

Any symmetrical variant with the drive shaft going centrally thru the sump is pretty much sci-fi at this price level.

oddseth just made "The Uncle's" enemies list...

Absolutely not.

Btw, I found a diagram of the Audi layout (tried to google it in the past unsuccessfully). Tiny pic, but you can see the engine still hangs in front of the front axle. Absolutely sucks for handling, especially with a big ass I4 or V6 towering there. This is where Subaru flat motors have advantage. Still the ONLY way to get good weight distribution and reduce polar moment of intertia is to shove the damn engine aft of the front axle... Ain't happening with symmetrical AWDs.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/227DA0D754068CB4CA25742500147154/$file/audi_lower.jpg

And what information and/or sources do you have to back up your claim?

I hope everyone realizes all this is speculation.

But there is nothing wrong with saying you like/don't like the looks of speculation.

There does appear to be a Subaru variant of the FT being tested. So we could all just remain silent about it until it is debuted, or we can dream. Nuttin wrong with dreaming. Just don't forget my first sentence ;)

Well, lets wait and see what happens. I am trying to stay optimistic about this vehicle, which is contrary to the general sentiment on this forum. Frankly, I don't care if it has 4wd or rwd, I just hope they sell it as a Subaru with some variant of a turbocharged boxer engine because I will be looking for a weekend/track car in about a year. 4WD surely would make it easier to drive aggressively and maintain grip, but rwd has its benefits as well.

I thought this day would never happen (eyes start to water). First, I would like to thank my mom and dad, baby jesus, and high flow catalytic converters...

Don't get too cocky, the list is about 100,000 members long ;)

http://www.subaru-msm.com/global/sgt2009/imgs/09015_2.jpg

http://www.subaru-msm.com/global/sgt2009/machine.html

:wub:

Yeah, I saw it. First, I'd not take it too literally. Second, it does not appear to be practical for a street application, unless you want to roll on 30" wheels.

They could maybe route the front shaft under the engine but it's not a system you will see in affordable and lightweight 2-seater.

Time to get over it. ZOMG RWD Subaru!!! I think it has a potential to be a fantastic car. Think coupe Miata with the familiar boxer engine.

Well, lets wait and see what happens. I am trying to stay optimistic about this vehicle, which is contrary to the general sentiment on this forum. Frankly, I don't care if it has 4wd or rwd, I just hope they sell it as a Subaru with some variant of a turbocharged boxer engine because I will be looking for a weekend/track car in about a year. 4WD surely would make it easier to drive aggressively and maintain grip, but rwd has its benefits as well.

Easier. Yeah, sure. Faster? Nope. AWD is good for faster corner exits, sure, but then with the crappy balance of Subarus you either plow in the corners, or have to slow down a lot. If you're tracking cars you should know this very well.

I agree, I'd like to see the car with turbo Subaru engine. However, frankly, I'll rather go for Lotus Elise at this point.

I'm just trying to get added to the list so I can be part of something for once in my life.

:D

You need to be an idiot and an asshole to earn your spot. Are you? :lol:

Easier. Yeah, sure. Faster? Nope. AWD is good for faster corner exits, sure, but then with the crappy balance of Subarus you either plow in the corners, or have to slow down a lot. If you're tracking cars you should know this very well.

I agree, I'd like to see the car with turbo Subaru engine. However, frankly, I'll rather go for Lotus Elise at this point.

When I had my stock 05 gt auto on the track, the suspension was sloppy and leaned like a bitch at initial turn in, but after brake lift off, I smoothely rolled onto the gas and the 4wd system really kept the power to the outside wheels and got me out of the turn without understeer. I was also able to apply full throttle well before exit and the car just kept on track, semi-oversteering which can be compensated with changing steering input and letting off the gas a little bit. Nonetheless, the 4wd system helped kick my ass out and around the corner to compensate for the mash potato suspension.

I would hope that the stock suspension on a sports coupe would be much stiffer with significantly less roll from thicker stabiliser bars.

Archived