LegacyGT.com

Subaru, Toyota will build small sports car

Legacy BoB

Could be that Toyota is giving Subaru a "year's" headstart in the US market, payback for the engine and other work(?).

They can also get first year issues out of the car in Japan and see how Subaru does in the US - both for sale sas well as for mechanical issues. It could also create a tease and build demand for when the do bring the car over.

I don't think Toyota will completely ignore a major market nor do I believe they are worried Subaru would lock up the market for this vehicle.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/12/2009/10/500x_2011_Subaru_Coupe_02.jpg

Speedlux just spied the 2011 Subaru Coupe, the Subie version of the Toyota FT-86 on the Nurburgring. Who'd have thought that Toyota could make a better looking 2.0-liter, four-cylinder RWD sports coupe?

The 2011 Subaru Coupe is the fruit of cooperation between Toyota Motor Company and Subaru, and as such will wear a common chassis and some degree of engine commonality, at the least a 2.0 liter, four cylinder boxer engine dubbed the "C-45 Boxer" and making between 200 and 250 HP will power the rear wheels through a manual six speed transmission.

Perhaps most telling are the car's overall dimensions. At 163.7 inches long, 69.3 inches, a wheelbase of 101.2 inches, and 49.6 inches high, it's thankfully compact, smaller in length, width and height than the Nissan 370Z, and slightly longer in wheelbase. [via Speedlux]

http://jalopnik.com/5380485/2011-subaru-coupe-spied-on-the-ring

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

This is clearly a test mule with runing gear that is most likely close to the production version. The body panels clearly look like they chopped an impreza sedan and ditched the rear doors and shortened the rear overhang. Clearly not representative of the actual look on the production car.

I hope this confirms that Subaru will be producing their version of this car and that this mule is not just an FT-86 wearing a halloween costume. I couldn't bear the thought of having a toyota in my parking lot but wouldnt mind a subaru coupe to sit next to my spec.b. Maybe Toyota is planning for an entry level, low content sports coupe like the miata where Subaru is planning a turbocharged halo car (275+ hp/ftlbs)? I am excited to see what happens.

Hey, man... Those XR4Ti-s were pretty cool. Ford Sierras (the euro version with one-piece rear quarter glass, rather than multi-windows...) were used as rally cars, IIRC.

I drove an XR once. I spun it 270 degrees around on some loose sand at a rural highway intersection, when I got it a little too hot. The nose was facing directly into the ditch, and the front overhang was hanging past the point where the shoulder ended, and the ditch dropped off... but the front wheels were still on gravel when the car stopped. I think the passenger, who also was the owner, needed to change her skivvies... But that was 15 years ago... that car is long since gone... and I think one of her sisters bent it up.

It was quite the little beast, even as an automatic. RWD with a turbo 4, and more interesting than the Mustang or the T-bird Turbo Coupe, although those were decent, too... The XR was noticeably european in it's appointments and interior, though.

-------------------------

But that thing HAS to be a drivetrain/suspension mule. The front fenders are chopped up, the doors are lengthened, and the side glass has a seam in it... the whole rear body is covered... it is all chopped up. Even a pre-production body-buck body would be more cohesive than this thing is.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing shown counts for anything stateside. If SOA manages not to make shit, they might earn me back as a customer. It better have HIDS and an interior DNA with nothing in common with the Impreza or Legacy

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/10/subaru_216a_620op.jpg

he crew from Japan's BestCar magazine have apparently taken the initial pics of the Toyota FT-86 concept and grafted a unique nose, rear fascia and wheels onto ToMoCo's new sports coupe, and while the result is less-than-fetching, the accompanying report offers a pseudo-confirmation of what's been suspected all along.

According to BestCar's (notoriously unnamed) sources, the Subaru coupe (internally dubbed 216A) will come equipped with all-wheel drive, and a choice of two engines in Japan – the 250-horsepower 2.0-liter EJ20 or the worked over, 300-hp boxer four from the WRX STI.

Naturally, the additional kit will result in a substantial price increase over the Toyota version, not to mention a 220-power weight penalty courtesy of its AWD drivetrain.

There's also talk of a slight increase in height, width and wheelbase, but no word on whether the Subaru coupe will make it to U.S. shores. If it does, expect it to arrive sometime after its introduction in Japan in 2011, with a price tag somewhere around the $30,000 mark.

Riddle me this, why would they put the STI engine in this car when they are still selling the WRX STI?

Maybe because more than one body style might sell to more customers, MAYBE?

Funny how DIVERSITY is a buzz word sometimes, and completely ignored on other topics, entirely.

Cross posted from SVX World Network, and this is what I tried to post to the Autoblog discussion of this very news... but their comments system is crazy...

$30K is likely well equipped, not the base model's lowest MSRP price. The most recent article is still mostly conjecture or leaked info anyway. Not yet official.

I can see in my mind's eye, this coupe coming with the same base NA engine as the Toyota... as a base model, we'll call 2.0i, in deference to Subaru's NA naming scheme.

Then coming as a stripped down turbo model, with cloth, and few amenities, we'll call it RS, for the sake of argument.

Hopefully RS it would come with good suspension settings, and Subaru's monoblock brakes. Probably with Legacy's less expensive 6-speed gearbox, and horsepower level (~260-270hp). Optional 5 or possibly upgraded 6-speed electronic automatic, with sport shift programming, and paddle shifters behind the steering wheel (like 08-09 Legacy GT optionally had)

I would love to see then a full on STI version.... 300hp+ engine, with the robust 6-speed DCCD gearbox, Bilstein dampers, Brembo brakes, BBS forged wheels, Recaro seats, SI-Drive variable engine mapping.

(if they want to combine DCCD, SI-Drive, and Bilstein's PSS10 cockpit adjustable dampers, and maybe an electronically controlled torque vectoring rear diff into a unified driving dynamics system, that would be fine with me. maybe add a PDK-like transaxle into that mix... )

On top of that base configurations...

Optional Spec.B package to the RS model adds standard Bilsteins, Brembos, larger wheels and tires to the base ~270hp turbo model, without leather or sunroof. Purely a sport performance package. Maybe some slight visual change to identify it.

Optional Limited/GT package to all three models, base, RS, and STI.

-Adds Leather subaru seats for base and RS, or leather/alcantara covered Recaros in the STI.

-Adds glass moonroof, or Scion tC style glass-roof with blacked out roof center.

-Adds premium HK or McIntosh sound system, with bluetooth, iPod, USB, etc... maybe NAV as well.

-Adds HID/HIR/LED lighting package to base and RS models.

STI should have blacked out fixtures, an HID standard, with HIR high beams, and LED optically-focused fog/DRL lights. All other illumination on the car should be LED or Electro-luminescent, including every element of the tail lights and rear signals, and side-mirror signals

And, in order to accommodate all the variations... relieve dealers from having to carry at least one of each... let them carry the high-demand versions, or the versions they think they can sell, but still let people come in and ORDER a coupe in any of the configurations they want.

So, we would have:

-2.0i, and 2.0i Limited. CVT or 5-speed manual. (for CAFE and all...)

-RS (turbo), RS Spec.B, RS Limited, and BOTH Spec.B and Limited pkgs together. (6-speed manual or auto.)

STI, and STI Limited. (up-rated 6-speed only, or dual-cutch if they can do it...)

I could see the 2.0i starting around $21-22K.

I could see the STI Limited topping out under $40K, fully loaded.

Pretty much the segment that the Impreza 2.5i to WRX STI BBS-pkg also occupies, as well as the 2009 2.5i to 2.5 GT Spec.B range did, as well.

IF they can pull off that product mix they will be doing well. It should be wrapped in good exterior styling, and better interior styling, that is more like 05-07 Legacy with soft padded vinyls, and a driver-oriented, dignified interior design, maybe Tribeca's 3-LCD-dial auto climate control on the upper models, 3-dial manual controls on the lower models...

Please build it with a non-integrated, replaceable double-din audio system, though. Not stubbornly built-in and sharing a common PCB with the auto climate control, like the US market 05-09 Legacy. Japanese-built Legacy variants were replaceable with a different console fascia panel, and also offered McIntosh optional.

Also... 5x114.3 wheels. Base model to full-blown. This is going to potentially take the sport compact market by storm... let people fit a wide variety of aftermarket wheels, please. There is no real drawback to 5x114.3.

They could do this in such a way to be a home run. OR they could do the Subaru thing, and punt it at the finishing stage, and have it fall short of it's potential.

I am hoping that the Subaru will be more related to the BL Legacy/GR Impreza in the front structure geometry and offer AWD, rather than the forward-pushed front axle on the FT-86 concept.

If it is RWD only... obviously there would be no center differential. adjusting for 2WD, the rest of the proposal should still be sound.

Archived