LegacyGT.com

08 Legacy Limited steering wheel upgrade

PartShippers

So has anyone done this in an '06?

SIDE NOTE: I do know that the steering wheels are different shapes. I am just asked if anyone has swapped an '08 into an '05 or '06 and if the radios can do it.

**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got an 08 wheel at home. It's a different shape so it requires a different airbag. I' m waiting for someone smarter than me to figure out how to wire one up. I would love to have the SI Drive functional from the whee along with the audio controls.

testing the values? You do realize there are only two wires, a 12V power source wire and a signal wire that goes to the radio (your ground). Only one of these wires actually goes to the stereo.

Hmm Basmoq mabey they are feeding me a line of shit?

not really sure,i can say that it worked in the honda with same pac unit.

when the steering wheel controls were installed the cruise worked and they lit up.so the problem was not there.

i was not aware of how it was hooked up just what they said,they have done plenty of work for me before and i have never had any issues.

it is all resolved now so i am happy anyways

• 4 weeks later...

For those who did this:

When you added your controls, was the circuit board already in place on the left and you just add the buttons, or did you get a new harness as well?

The 83154AG001 kit with audio + cruise includes the two button pods, both wired to a Y harness. It replaces the single cruise pod (which has only half of the "Y"). Picture:

[ATTACH]81222[/ATTACH]

AWESOME.

That answered my exact question.

• 1 month later...
Just had them installed on a 2010 Impreza WRX base model with the 601 whatever single disk factory radio and the control's work, all of them, turns music up down and changes betweent the presets and mutes. Dealer installed for $83 including tax in OHIO. Very happy

P6CL: are you telling me your dealer sold the part and installed all for 83$? Dealers in Mass charge way more just for the part and I can't seem to find anyone who has done such a mod. They all arescared of touching the steering wheel or just don;t want to accept that such a mod would function.

Can anybody recommend a decent sie to purchase this component?

Does anybody for such an installation around the Springfield, MAss area or driveable CT? Thanks

• 5 months later...
I've got an 08 wheel at home. It's a different shape so it requires a different airbag. I' m waiting for someone smarter than me to figure out how to wire one up. I would love to have the SI Drive functional from the whee along with the audio controls.

Well thank you, you ruined my day, but answered a burning question (I really wanted the thicker rimed '08 wheel for my '05), I'm bummed, but thankful for the answer.. :rolleyes:

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

225/60HR16 Bridgestone G009's

• 2 months later...

You're probably going to be stuck with that. As far as I know, the HU isn't reprogrammable, and it's extremely unlikely it will respond to additional remote control commands using different resistor values.

When you tap the button briefly, is the radio actually seeking to the next active station, or is it simply stepping up by the next increment?

Does it do anything different when you hold the button a little longer (and then release)?

What is the model number printed on the front of your OEM radio? (near the display)

I keep forgetting to look at the model number for the head unit. I'll try to remember to write it down at lunch. But it's the 6 cd changer.

When I tap the buttons, it scans to the next available frequency.

As for holding the buttons down longer, it doesn't do anything (I tried that hoping it would reset it) although it still scans to the next station

I double tapped it and it only goes up to the next increment.

@basmoq I would love to do that but I'm not too electronically inclined. AND everything else seems to work great (for CD's and MP3 cd's it'll jump ahead to the next song) I don't have xm or sirius so I can't check that. But all of the other buttons work as they're supposed to. I'm not sure why I would have to replace the resistors when it should've been a plug and play piece as it's an OEM part.

But, I haven't tried disconnecting the battery yet. I might do that next and see what happens.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep you posted!

• 2 years later...

Did anyone with the same problem of the up/down buttons scanning instead of going through the presets manage to work out why your controls would scan the radio frequency instead of going up or down your station presets?

I just installed the switches in my MY09 Subaru Outback and have the same problem. It is fitted with the GX-204-KH 6 CD unit.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back up, I just bought an 07 limited with the 6 disc HU can someone tell me what I need to do this??

i'm assuming a new steering wheel but will my bag work ?? and then the switch pod of course and can I assume again that it will be the part number - 8315AG001 ?

thanks much

Brining this back up, I just bought an 07 limited with the 6 disc HU can someone tell me what I need to do this??

i'm assuming a new steering wheel but will my bag work ?? and then the switch pod of course and can I assume again that it will be the part number - 8315AG001 ?

thanks much

You do not need to change the steering wheel, and the bag is not involved at all. Its quite simply an "insert" into the steering wheel. It replaces the blind insert currently in its place. See also drawing furter up this page...

Did anyone with the same problem of the up/down buttons scanning instead of going through the presets manage to work out why your controls would scan the radio frequency instead of going up or down your station presets?

I just installed the switches in my MY09 Subaru Outback and have the same problem. It is fitted with the GX-204-KH 6 CD unit.

It's unfortunately the way the HU works. I have the same issue on the actual radio - the steering wheel is just replicating a press on the tune up/down button. There is no "Next Preset" on the radio (stupid but true :spin: ). I would certainly also have preferred "Next preset" in stead of "Scan"

I just bought an 07 limited with the 6 disc HU can someone tell me what I need to do this??

This thread is for Legacy/Outback 2008-2009 model years. In those cars, the cruise controls are on the wheel's right spoke (instead of on a multi-way lever behind/below the right spoke, as with earlier years). Lower trim levels have a blank ("dummy") panel on the wheel's left spoke.

The upgrade involves simply replacing the existing cruise-only pod and blank panel with the audio+cruise buttons -- the parts shown in the diagram in post #155 (in this same thread), and the pictures in post #5 (in this same thread). Higher trim levels already have the audio and cruise buttons.

2008-2010 Impreza, WRX, STi, and 2009-2010 Forester (and some later years) use the same kind of wheel. See this post for more guides and pictures.

For Legacy/Outback 2005-2007 model years, in many cases you must switch to a different wheel (retrofit a wheel used in 2006-2007 Legacy spec.B and some 2005-2007 Outback 3.0 models), or swap in audio SWC button pods onto a wheel that has the shift up/down buttons (some turbo models). See this thread:

There is at least one thread out there that describes retrofitting a 2008-style wheel into a 2005-2007 car, but that procedure is a bit more complicated -- it involves hacking the harnesses to make the cruise controls work.

Archived