LegacyGT.com

08 Legacy Limited steering wheel upgrade

PartShippers

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Hmm, looking at cars101.com, seems like every trim but the 2.5i comes with a 6 cd changer and mounted audio controls. Hopefully it'll be a simple thing and works, if not, I guess I can bite the bullet and sell it on the board. I'll think about it some.

aigochamaloh, Have you gotten to try this yet? I'm also looking at the steering wheel of my '09 2.5i SE and thinking that I'd like to have those controls.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I completed this mod for my 08 wrx and love it. My gf just bought an 09 2.5i SE and she wants me to do this for her too. Has anyone been able to confirm if this does or does not work with the single-cd head unit of the 09s?

I believe the model number is P-206UNB -- it is not the 204 of the 08 model.

My 2009 2.5i SE has the same stereo and I'm definitely interested in this mod. I'd a tad concerned about removing the steering wheel - never tried it before and with VDC potentially being damaged I'm a touch hesitant, but not so much that I won't try.

Does anyone have an online source for the controls? I'm willing to try the install and report back the results.

My 2009 2.5i SE has the same stereo and I'm definitely interested in this mod. I'd a tad concerned about removing the steering wheel - never tried it before and with VDC potentially being damaged I'm a touch hesitant, but not so much that I won't try.

Does anyone have an online source for the controls? I'm willing to try the install and report back the results.

Try Jeremy at King of Parts. He's on the board here.

I went through https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/

OEM catalog search for 83154AG001

$95.53 plus shipping and maybe tax... if you get a better price from someone else let me know!

• 2 weeks later...
Is this really just a plug and play for 08 limited? I called my local subaru dealer for the part, but they said it doesn't work for my car. Seems like it works, I'm just a bit confused about why they would say it doesn't.

Is this really just a plug and play for 08 limited? I called my local subaru dealer for the part, but they said it doesn't work for my car. Seems like it works, I'm just a bit confused about why they would say it doesn't.

Yes, it is, but it's not an authorized subaru upgrade so they aren't going to tell you it'll work. They are basically covering their butt in case something goes wrong.

Interesting. Thanks docsmitty & firepryo515 for the info. You guys have any useful tips about this install?

I've been waiting to do this for who knows how long. It looks awkward with just buttons on one side of the steering wheel and not the other. I've read now that the '09 has them standard on the Limited. :spin:

I check the website docsmitty posted for the part and after doing the search the part came up in two different catalogs, collision catalog and the OEM catalog. Are they the same?

-Collision catalog description: Steering wheel - Steering wheel and trim - Cruise switch - W/s/wheel buttons

W/s/wheel buttons 2008

-OEM catalog description: SWITCH SATELLITE

Okay.... so here's the deal with my 2009 Legacy 2.5i SE with the P-206UNB single disk player

Good news - The install was easy to do with common tools and I didn't see any risk of damaging the airbag or VDC system, or any other damage. If you don't rush and aren't like a gorilla with a hammer you have nothing to fear.

The bad news - It did not work for my car/stereo

Here's what I did, for those of you with the LE and 6 disk changer, which is described as working with these controls in earlier posts

Parts used:

I ordered the part described (83154AG001) above from https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

The part includes the cruise control and audio controls - they attach to a single connector so I can't imagine that you could buy just the audio controls. Both the original cruise only system and the audio/cruise combo were wired into a single connector that is the same shape. There wouldn't be a place to plug in just the audio controls.

Tools used:

small regular screw driver - just used to pry and depress electrical connector clips

phillips screw driver

17mm socket

hammer type impact driver

hammer (yes, I used a hammer, gently)

30T torx - I got a small L shaped set from Autozone for about $6

Procedure

I started by disconnecting the negative battery cable and letting the car sit for about 10 min.

I used the torx driver to loosen both bolts on the back of the steering wheel - the bolts don't come completely out, they are retained by the plastic back of the wheel. They were tight at first so I used an adjustable wrench on the end of my L shaped torx wrench to break the bolt loose.

After the torx bolts were loose, the airbag lifted away and there were 3 wires to disconnect from the airbag. There is a simple spade type connector and then the two wierd connectors that people mentioned in previous posts. I used the regular screw driver to pry the yellow part up and then used the screw driver to ease the connector up and away from the air bag. You don't need to twist or pull the connector sideways - they lift directly up and away from the airbag in the same direction that the yellow clip moved.

After unhooking all 3 wires I took the airbag and set it to the side.

I was staring at the 17mm nut that holds the steering wheel on - I double checked that the wheel was straight and used the 17mm socket and the impact driver to break the nut loose. My impact driver was one of those that looks like a big screw driver handle with a spot on the back that you strike with a hammer to cause it to turn. I tried turning the nut with a ratchet prior to this and the wheel was trying to turn - I used the imact driver to break it loose and not disturb the way the wheel had been pointing.

I loosened the 17mm nut a few turns and then tried pulling the steering wheel away from the column. I left the nut on so that if the wheel popped free suddenly it wouldn't go flying into my face and hurt me or damage anything.

The steering wheel was too tight to just pull loose with my hands so I used the hammer I had used with the impact driver to tap on the left and right back sides of the wheel GENTLY to loosen the wheel. With the nut just loosened a few turns I could tell when the wheel was free but it didn't violently come loose.

The steering wheel is mounted to a splined shaft, so even as you are pulling it away from the column, it won't spin freely. I'd never removed a steering wheel before and was wondering if it was just the tightness of that nut that was keeping the wheel surning the steering .

I disconnected the white electrical connector that connected the cruise control buttons to the column. I used the regular screw driver to depress the retention clip on it and it unplugged easily. I was having trouble getting it to release when I pressed the clip with my finger.

I removed the nut and then slid the wheel off of the splined shaft it had been bolted to. The wires for the airbag had passed through a hole in the steering wheel and went to the column, originating right next to where I'd unplugged the cruise control's white connector.

I noted that there was a nub that fit into a hole on the back of the wheel. That nub was attached to a free spinning sensor looking collar that was inside the column and spun around the splined shaft that the wheel mounted to. I'm guessing this is the VDC sensor system that others were afraid of breaking. The wheel came away from this and left all of the components intact in the colum. I could only see breaking something if you don't line up that nub with the hole it fit into in the wheel.

With the wheel completely free from the column, I noted the two phillips screws that had been staring me in the face as I was working on the 17mm nut held the back plastic to the wheel. I removed those two phillips screws and released the clip that held the bottom of the back plastic to the wheel. At the bottom of the back plastic there is a clip that snaps around the metal core of the steering wheel .

I removed the back plastic and found the phillips screws that held the cruise control and blank to the wheel. I removed both screws and removed the blank and the cruise button pod.

I attached the audio control pod and cruise pod with the phillips screws and then installed the back plastic with the two screws I'd removed earlier. I fitted the wiring for the pods into the clips on the back plastic - the clips held the wires across the top of the plastic and out of the way of the airbag.

With the controls and back plastic all installed I was careful as I slid the wheel back onto the splined shaft. I made sure to line up the nub from the VDC? sensor with the hole that was at about 2 o'clock on the wheel (as I recall). I double checked that the wheel was straight and the nub was properly aligned. I made sure to pull the air bag wiring back through the wheel as it had previously been routed.

I plugged the white connector from the audio pod/cruise control pod into the jack where I'd unplugged the cruise control wiring.

I tightened the 17mm nut back down, using the impact driver to make sure it was nicely snug. I suppose a torque wrench and the proper torque specs would have been in order but I was in part expecting to have to disassemble this all if the buttons didn't function.

I was tempted to tape up the controls to prevent scratching but the airbag seemed like it would slide right into place without any risk of bumping the buttons so I didn't bother.

I connected the 3 wires back to the airbag. The two clip on connectors snapped in and I pushed the yellow locking clips back down to secure the connectors. I slid the spade connector back on as well.

I slid the airbag in place and tightened the torx bolts back up.

I crossed my fingers and and reconnected the negative cable back up to the battery.

When I started the car all of the dash lights were as ususal, ie. my airbag light and VDC lights came on at startup and turned off. The airbag didn't deploy and no smoke came pouring out of anything. This was good :)

The lights in the audio controls illuminated as did the cruise buttons. I tested out the buttons and all of the cruise buttons worked as before. None of the audio buttons did anything when pressed.

At this point I'm kicking around the idea of trying to find a 6 disk changer to install but I don't want to drop a ton of money on that. I'm more likely to just leave the buttons in place or remove them and restore the car to stock and sell the parts.

I'm not terribly surprised that it didn't work with your factory stereo, I honestly would have been surprised if it did, as it did not for mine (look way back towards the beginning of this thread where I posted pics of my install.) I went the aftermarket route from the beginning, which I would recommend anyway given how terrible the factory HU is. I'd be interested to know if your HU is even powering the wires to the switch. You would need to check it at the two wires on the back of the stereo, as they are different from the ones that light up the buttons when the headlights are on.

Well, I'm pleased with my factory system.... I don't know whether the HK system in the 2009 models is significantly different than previous model years as this is my first Subie experience but I have no desire to change the head unit.

I was sorta expecting it to not work since reports of other Legacy single disk players were negative, BUT with the new head unit and the reports of the single disk players in the Imprezza being positive I wanted to definitively find out....

Archived