LegacyGT.com

08 Legacy Limited steering wheel upgrade

PartShippers

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
same thing...after first controls that showed up...had to do a call tag. should be at my house now...maybe you'll get it done before me. i won't have time til probably tomorrow night to mess with it.

I picked up my controls at lunch today. Looks pretty simple if the wire harness is already there. Just looks like I need to take out the airbag? It looks like this just snaps in and connects right up.

take pics...but it works fine. remove and replace. take airbag out with torq drive x2 on side of wheel. disconnect airbag(2 pop up white clips and one ground wire...which is on new harness). undo 17mm steering wheel bolt. (mark where wheel is situated). pull off wheel. remove 2 phillips screws holding blank and cruise buttons. replace with new harness(buttons). put it back together. took me 10-15min...everything works fine. don't forget to disconnect battery before removing air bag!!! precaution

just remember who tested first!!!!

i'm very happy about this...its an option i was looking for when i purchased my 2.5i

ahh you beat me too it!! I did it last night after work it was very simple and plug and play. Thanks for the info on the part!

take pics...but it works fine. remove and replace. take airbag out with torq drive x2 on side of wheel. disconnect airbag(2 pop up white clips and one ground wire...which is on new harness). undo 17mm steering wheel bolt. (mark where wheel is situated). pull off wheel. remove 2 phillips screws holding blank and cruise buttons. replace with new harness(buttons). put it back together. took me 10-15min...everything works fine. don't forget to disconnect battery before removing air bag!!! precaution

just remember who tested first!!!!

i'm very happy about this...its an option i was looking for when i purchased my 2.5i

Part# 83154AG001

What is the price for that part?

Is it really as easy as you describe? No chance of screwing up the airbag as long as the battery is disconnected?

I've done plenty of car audio installs so the actual work to do this doesn't bother me but messing with the steering wheel and the airbag has me a little concerned.

they sold it to me around list which was $125ish. Yup, just makesure you removed the neg term from the battery and mark the wheel before you take it off.

Is it really as easy as you describe? No chance of screwing up the airbag as long as the battery is disconnected?

I've done plenty of car audio installs so the actual work to do this doesn't bother me but messing with the steering wheel and the airbag has me a little concerned.

the quick list above of what needs to be done is exactly what you need to do. its very very simple. just disconnect the battery before working on the airbag and your fine. its an unplug of three things on the airbag and plug them back in...no issues since your not messing with the airbag harness which is usually a no no.

order from kingofparts http://www.thekingofparts.com/servlet/Page?template=about tell tristan Jeff Taylor sent you for the 08 steering wheel radio controls...he'll help you out some

Thats a good question. I dont know if the single disc has the wires for it.

I just ordered the part but realized both of you installed in on a limited model. I have the 2.5 special edition with the single disc cd player.

Do you think it will still work?

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/Leg08specbsteerwhl1.JPG

when your done...it looks just like you have now but with the audio controls on the left. Your cruise buttons are replaced with exactly what you have now...but its a split harness. Think of the left side and right side coming together into one plug instead of one control into one plug. Its remove and replace.

so it'll look like this without those lower controls

any pics on how it looks? i have an 08 automatic also and want the same thing done. but i want to keep my cruise control buttoms where they are?

• 3 weeks later...
will this work with a single disc changer ?

rao741

Well I finally got around to doing this and I can confirm that this WILL NOT work with the single disk cd player in the 08 special edition.

I hooked it all up, connected the battery and the cruise control side still worked but the new radio buttons did nothing. I took it back apart and put it back how it was.

I will be selling the steering wheel controls if anyone is interested.

• 1 month later...

I just performed this mod on my 2008 Legacy 2.5i Limited with the 6 disc changer. I followed the instructions in this post from this thread. Works perfectly!

My wheel was on pretty tight, and we had to give it a few solid yanks to get it off, but other then that it went smoothly.

Thanks to everyone involved with figuring it out. The mute button alone is worth the price of admission :).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me if they got just the audio controlls, or does it come as a kit with cruise and audio. The dealer told me that part # is for a kit with both on one harness. I'd rather get just the audio if it's available being that I already have cruise...

Archived