LegacyGT.com

08 Legacy Limited steering wheel upgrade

PartShippers

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, did the install!!! no issues except that my PAC steering wheel adapter had a fuse between the control and ground wires that I had forgotten I installed when I put the system in my 06 civic... It took me a day to figure out why none of the resistance values I measured before installing matched up with what I was getting after it was all wired up. I've got a bunch of Login to a private Photobucket.com album posted on my photobucket account. The wires are all there on the 08 Outback, I tapped them right at the small black square plug, purple/white and orange/white. You ground the orange/white and run the signal wire from your PAC adapter to the Purple/white. Removing the steering wheel was no trouble at all compared to my previous cars, no wheel puller needed, just a bit of good old brute strength :) I'd rate this as a Very easy install. I also cut up a home furnace filter and replaced the dirty factory one while I was tearing apart the car, man was that a lot of work to get to!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a165/basmoq/Subaru/NiaCam124.jpg

OK, did the install!!! no issues except that my PAC steering wheel adapter had a fuse between the control and ground wires that I had forgotten I installed when I put the system in my 06 civic... It took me a day to figure out why none of the resistance values I measured before installing matched up with what I was getting after it was all wired up. I've got a bunch of pictures posted on my photobucket account. The wires are all there on the 08 Outback, I tapped them right at the small black square plug, purple/white and orange/white. You ground the orange/white and run the signal wire from your PAC adapter to the Purple/white. Removing the steering wheel was no trouble at all compared to my previous cars, no wheel puller needed, just a bit of good old brute strength :) I'd rate this as a Very easy install. I also cut up a home furnace filter and replaced the dirty factory one while I was tearing apart the car, man was that a lot of work to get to!

I went into your photobucket account and saw this picture:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a165/basmoq/Subaru/CIMG0412.jpg

Is this the stereo that you added the controls to? And what is your reference to a PAC adapter? Did I miss something?

I have the same "204" HU in my 2.5i and the reports have been that the OEM steering wheel controls do NOT work with the "204" series stock unit.

That's the HU I yanked out of my car, I'll take a pic of my current system, but if you look at my posts on subaru outback forum, I've done a lot of work on my car. Pioneer Premier HU, PAC SWI-SP steering wheel adapter, Infinity 4channel amp, Infinity components front and back doors, cheep old 2channel amp driving a Rockford Fosgate HE2 10" sub, 2awg wiring. The PAC adapter allows me to use nearly any steering wheel controls as stereo controls. I'll post the resistance values of the factory control buttons later today.

Here are the resistance values measured across the circuit (note that when a button is pressed, your value is the value of two resistors in parallel, one being the 4.68K ohm resistor, so you can calculate the value of the other resistor using ohms law if you need it)

Volume Up 89 Ohm

Volume Down 192.5 Ohm

Mute 23 Ohm

Mode 335.5 Ohm

Channel Down 1144 Ohm

Channel Up 602 Ohm

With no buttons pressed, 4680 Ohm

Oh, and yes, my roll connector has the VDC pins as well, but no, my car doesn't have it.

As for physics, you calculate the parallel circuit resistance (x) by adding the reciprocals of both resistors (1/X=1/Y+1/Z). So in our case, I provided the Y (no buttons pressed is a series circuit with one resistor) and several X values (what you get when you put a second resistor in parallel with Y).

again, you would only need to know the values of those resistors if you wanted to make your own controller. I still haven't decided if I can feasibly fashion my own circuit out of the blank plastic piece. It should be possible, but it's a lot of work to make it look good

Looks like the only way to get this thing to work for us SE guys is the Swap out the head unit and get a New bezel for the stereo. all together another $300+ depending on the stereo. From what I can tell, alot of the new stereos are offered with steering wheel controls. Maybe a DVD Nav system?

It doesn't have to cost you that much, the bezel kit was only about $30, and as for the stereo, I paid about $150 for a brand new (one model short of being the current "new" unit) Pioneer Premier HU on ebay. I don't have much issue with using ebay for HU's because with Premier units, the warranty is only two years, most HU's only have a one year warranty, being that I saved nearly double what I paid, I can afford to have one go bad (which has never happened BTW). I love the Premier units because they always have a few models with Burr Brown processors! Don't get any better than that :)

• 1 month later...

If anyone is interested, I've got the Part# 83154AG001 for sale for $60, plus S&H.

I scratched it up when I did the install the first time, so my wife made me buy a new one to replace it.

The scratches aren't huge, but they are noticable. PM if interested :)

Here's the thread I created for the sale in Classifieds here with pics

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85709

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Fair warning for those who have VDC and want to do this upgrade- you may just bust the steering angle sensor if you aren't careful (and maybe even if you are). This will cause the "VDC off" indicator to light up which disables the VDC until it is fixed. The fix may be as simple as having the dealer clear the code or as extensive as having the steering angle sensor replaced. Just an FYI so you can assess the potential risks..

• 1 month later...

hey partshippers,

can you pelase take a photo of your head unit?

a bunch of us in australia are looking at the same thing, and i would just like to verify that we have the same basic unit before i go out and buy the part.

thanks

overl0ad

from some file photos

http://us.autos1.yimg.com/img.autos.yahoo.com/izp/subaru_legacy_25gtlimited_2008_dashboard_audiosystem_640x480.jpg

hey partshippers,

can you pelase take a photo of your head unit?

a bunch of us in australia are looking at the same thing, and i would just like to verify that we have the same basic unit before i go out and buy the part.

thanks

overl0ad

• 5 weeks later...
Fair warning for those who have VDC and want to do this upgrade- you may just bust the steering angle sensor if you aren't careful (and maybe even if you are). This will cause the "VDC off" indicator to light up which disables the VDC until it is fixed. The fix may be as simple as having the dealer clear the code or as extensive as having the steering angle sensor replaced. Just an FYI so you can assess the potential risks..

I wanted to bump this thread to see how many have been sucessful with this install on VDC cars without causing errors. I would like to install these buttons right away but don't want to mess up a car that has a little more than 100 miles on it.

Thank You.

My car has VDC on it and I installed it with no problems. The steering wheel does slip off easily as someone posted before. Mine seemed like it was stuck but I just gave it a little jiggle and then it came straight out. It didn't really require that much force at all.

My car has VDC on it and I installed it with no problems. The steering wheel does slip off easily as someone posted before. Mine seemed like it was stuck but I just gave it a little jiggle and then it came straight out. It didn't really require that much force at all.

Thank You..... I am ordering the buttons today :-)

• 2 months later...

Been reading through the thread. Has it ever been confirmed that the install on the 2.5i worked?

I have a 09 2.5i SE, single cd head unit. Basically pop off the steering wheel, and the harness is already back there? No cutting, splicing, just plugs right in? If someone has gotten this to work on their 2.5i, I want to do this asap

@docsmitty - From page 5 of this thread, lepore80 confirmed that this install worked on his 08 Impreza WRX. It looks like he ordered the exact same Legacy part number, Part # 83154AG001

@aigochamaloh - for the 08 Legacy, the 2.5i SE guys could not get it to work. I have the 08 2.5i Limited, with the 6 disc changer, which is works for people. Don't think anyone has tried this with the 09 2.5i single CD yet though, you may have to be the pioneer there and give it a shot. You can always order the part and try the install, if it doesn't work, just sell it the part here in the classifieds.

Just make sure you read all the warnings and follow the steps pretty carefully, for most people the install/uninstall goes off without a hitch. But a few people, myself included, came across a few snags along the way.

Good luck

Thanks gsuperman. My radio model number is not the 204. I have a P-206UNB. Board search doesn't come up with anything for that model at all. Maybe I do need to just take the plunge.

The part number you order come with the new plastic cover and the buttons with harness? So disconnect battery, get wheel cover off, undo air bag clips and other wires, etc. I really don't want to bust my VDC angle sensor, I'll have to be careful.

Hmm, looking at cars101.com, seems like every trim but the 2.5i comes with a 6 cd changer and mounted audio controls. Hopefully it'll be a simple thing and works, if not, I guess I can bite the bullet and sell it on the board. I'll think about it some.

Archived