LegacyGT.com

08 Legacy Limited steering wheel upgrade

PartShippers

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what has been the verdict on this for the 09 2.5i SE?

Tried to get the dealer to do this before I even bought my car and they said there was no way they could do it.

Nope. SOA does not like that for legal and other reasons. Main thing it takes the vehicle out of that years federal compliance if you swap different year steering wheels. Second too many liabilities that neither SOA nor the dealer care to get involved with when it comes to swaps like that.

I know I don't do it. Not sure if there is one that will.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Main thing it takes the vehicle out of that years federal compliance if you swap different year steering wheels.

Yes, but no one is talking about swapping different steering wheels. Those of us that have done this simply replaced the blank piece of plastic with one that has buttons on it. Same wheel, same airbag. After realizing how minor of an operation it actually is, my dealer was more than happy to do it for me. I just happened to be more than willing to do it myself as it is a 2-bolt, 1-nut, 2 screws operation...

Yes, but no one is talking about swapping different steering wheels. Those of us that have done this simply replaced the blank piece of plastic with one that has buttons on it. Same wheel, same airbag. After realizing how minor of an operation it actually is, my dealer was more than happy to do it for me. I just happened to be more than willing to do it myself as it is a 2-bolt, 1-nut, 2 screws operation...

I see that. However, some posts in this thread have discussed swapping wheels.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...

Having done the upgrade, I was quite surprised about the channel change buttons.

Unlike other cars I've tried, the channel changer is not swithcing between the stored channels, but simply scans up or down from the current frequency :confused: - not what I expected, and IMO not very useful :(

Does anyone know if it is possible to do any kind of modification to get it to act normal - i.e. change between presets ?

• 9 months later...

ok i have a 09 2.5i single disk player.

i have a double din player being installed next week (alpine w-505)

i already have the pac unit from my last car i just pulled the stereo out of.

my question after reading all the pages (they seem to get a little crossed and confusing)

if i install the straight plug and play controls on the steering wheel will it work with my after market deck? with my pac unit

thanks russ

• 3 weeks later...

ok alpine deck is installed with steering wheel controls added.

the deck works great but the steering wheel controls do not function.

i had the single disk player in the car so not sure if that is the case or not?

does anybody have an after market deck with added steering controls working??

thank russ

ok alpine deck is installed with steering wheel controls added.

the deck works great but the steering wheel controls do not function.

i had the single disk player in the car so not sure if that is the case or not?

does anybody have an after market deck with added steering controls working??

thank russ

Have you read this thread, we have laid out the entire process... Did you remember the pac unit?

i did read it and from what i can tell you are the only one who went with an aftermarket headunit on this thread.

you lost me a bit when talking about value levels ect.

the whole unit came out of my 06 ridgeline, i will double check everything again and see what i come up with.

thanks Russ

Fair warning for those who have VDC and want to do this upgrade- you may just bust the steering angle sensor if you aren't careful (and maybe even if you are). This will cause the "VDC off" indicator to light up which disables the VDC until it is fixed. The fix may be as simple as having the dealer clear the code or as extensive as having the steering angle sensor replaced. Just an FYI so you can assess the potential risks..

ok i just noticed that my light is on as well.

i also noticed that my steering wheel is not perfectly centered now.

i did have a shop install it for me and will talk to them monday when they open.

if my steering wheel is off a bit will this cause the light to stay on or more likely the sensor has been broken?

don't know if I can get any more explicit than I did when describing the install; it certainly can't be put in laymens terms. As long as you have the harness plugged in on the steering wheel (if it's lit up, it's plugged in), and you tapped the correct wires at the stereo harness (as described before), and the PAC unit has power to it (the LED on the PAC unit won't light up if you don't...). Then there is no reason for it to not work. Now the one caution is that if you had the PAC unit installed in another car (as I did), there are some vehicles that require the pac unit to have a resistor placed between the two sensor wires (in parallel) to reduce the overall resistance of the steering wheel resistors. In my case, I had done this and forgotten about it, so the unit did not work at first when installed on the Subaru. After about an hour of checking resistances, I found that I had hidden the extra resistor in the PAC's wiring loom, removed it, and was good to go.

As for your VDC sensor, you have to be really careful to plug it, and the airbag sensors for that matter, all the way in. If the shop fucked up putting the steering wheel, then they are idiots, because if you mark it with a pencil before removing it, there is no excuse for putting it back on cockeyed...

Good luck to you

• 4 weeks later...
Just had them installed on a 2010 Impreza WRX base model with the 601 whatever single disk factory radio and the control's work, all of them, turns music up down and changes betweent the presets and mutes. Dealer installed for $83 including tax in OHIO. Very happy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived