LegacyGT.com

08 Legacy Limited steering wheel upgrade

PartShippers

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I finally got around to doing this and I can confirm that this WILL NOT work with the single disk cd player in the 08 special edition.

I hooked it all up, connected the battery and the cruise control side still worked but the new radio buttons did nothing. I took it back apart and put it back how it was.

I will be selling the steering wheel controls if anyone is interested.

Sent you a PM.

I just got this finshed works sweet. One problem... I yanked my steering wheel off before I checked to make sure ALL the clips holding the wire ribbons were disconnected, pulled the wheel off and out pops five feet of wire ribbons! CRAP!!! I got them all back together and spooled back up, if this happens there is a nifty little diagram on the part that spins that tells you how to set the spin deal so you don't snap one while turning your wheel. Otherwise very simple.

I just got the part the other day from King of Parts. Have to get myself a torq wrench though, my tools are limited atm.

Hey Tatunka, curious what you are referring to about the wire ribbons? How would we check that before the wheel is taken off? I hadn't read anything about that in the previous steps

I just got the part the other day from King of Parts. Have to get myself a torq wrench though, my tools are limited atm.

Hey Tatunka, curious what you are referring to about the wire ribbons? How would we check that before the wheel is taken off? I hadn't read anything about that in the previous steps

Yea, The part that I broke temporarily was a part behind the steering wheel, when you take your air bag off their will be two grey plugs sticking through and this part is what your control connectors/air bag attach to also. This, the grey plugs, I think is what got hung up and pulled the ribbons off so just don't go yanking on the steering wheel after removal, it should come off relatively easy.

• 1 month later...

I tried this same mod on my base model WRX and it worked. It seems as if the Legacy and Impreza WRX have the same wheel. I didn't get a chance to read this thread before doing it though.

I've got two questions. First, how did y'all disconnect the two air bag connectors? I was afraid of breaking or activating the air bag. Second, what is the cheapest anyone one has paid for this part and where? I paid $123.09 USD plus tax at the dealer. Thanks.

It looks like base model Imprezas have the same wheel as we do, but I don't know what stereo they have. As the controls are reported to NOT work on the base 2.5i Legacy with single-disc stereos, I wonder if the Impreza guys have found a work-around.

I'd like to get my hands on a leather 08 steering wheel, whether or not I can add the steering wheel audio controls.

Does anyone know where the failure occurs in using these controls on an 08 single-disc?

basmoq, where did you buy the audio controls for $100 with tax?

phenryiv1, I did not do a work around or anything special to get the audio controls to work for my single CD player. I just plugged the combined audio/cruise harness back into the same connector that the cruise harness used to be in. I was actually surprised to see it work and pissed at Subaru at the same time for not having this feature on a $25k car.

basmoq, where did you get the audio controls for $100?

phenryiv1, I did not do anything other than plug the audio/cruise harness back into the connector that previously was used by the cruise. i have the single cd player, too. I was surprised that it actually worked and upset at the same time that Subaru did not install this from the factory for a $25k car.

I just picked it up yesterday. I got it from my dealer, KO Subaru, but I doubt they will give you wholesale pricing because you didn't buy a car from them. I don't think they do anything but local pickup here in Akron, OH

I will be discecting the control before installing, so I can give you all the info needed to create your own pc board with the resistors to make it out of momentary push buttons. I may take my blank and make one to sell (or keep it for myself and sell the factory one...)

I will take pics and keep you all updated. Check back in a few weeks though, because I'm busy with a new baby, biochem in med school, and exams in doctoring...

lepore80 has installed in 2.5i SE?

I think so, but maybe he can confirm.

lwe have conflicting reports on whether this will work with single disk player. 1 working, and a couple not working.

Maybe build dates have something to do with it...:iam:

I have an '08 Impreza WRX, but the Legacy and the Impreza have the exact same steering wheel, cruise, and audio controls. I don't know if your single CD stereo in the Legacy is the same as the single CD stereo in my Impreza. Plug and play for the Impreza, but maybe this is not the case for the Legacy because the single CD player is different. IDK.

I'm still wondering how y'all disconnect the connectors on the air bag. I didn't want to tempt fate and don't have a service manual, yet. Also, what torque spec did is used to tighten down the steering wheel nut?

I have an '08 Impreza WRX, but the Legacy and the Impreza have the exact same steering wheel, cruise, and audio controls. I don't know if your single CD stereo in the Legacy is the same as the single CD stereo in my Impreza. Plug and play for the Impreza, but maybe this is not the case for the Legacy because the single CD player is different. IDK.

There is a model number on the legacy single disc unit. I THINK that it has the number "204" somewhere in it (maybe above the display). Can you look at the Impreza stereo and see if it has a model number somewhere on it?

Archived