LegacyGT.com

Jumper Cables unsafe to use on new legacy?

I don't know about "never", but I would definitely be careful these days. The newer cars with more and more electronic controls are more sensitive than older cars to jumping. Check with your local Subie dealership to confirm yea or nay on jumping.

In any case, make sure you have the connections hooked up correctly and don't try to jump a car that has no charge left in the battery. The surge of the flat battery can damage your alternator and charging system. If the other car has a very low battery, keep the jumper cables connected for 5-10 minutes to help charge the low battery and prevent a spike on that car's charging system when you disconnect. Lastly, don't ever rev your engine to charge the dead vehicle battery unless you like molten copper wires dripping down your vehicles. I have seen this one played out twice in my life already...not a pretty sight.

I don't know about "never", but I would definitely be careful these days. The newer cars with more and more electronic controls are more sensitive than older cars to jumping. Check with your local Subie dealership to confirm yea or nay on jumping.

In any case, make sure you have the connections hooked up correctly and don't try to jump a car that has no charge left in the battery. The surge of the flat battery can damage your alternator and charging system. If the other car has a very low battery, keep the jumper cables connected for 5-10 minutes to help charge the low battery and prevent a spike on that car's charging system when you disconnect. Lastly, don't ever rev your engine to charge the dead vehicle battery unless you like molten copper wires dripping down your vehicles. I have seen this one played out twice in my life already...not a pretty sight.

Call AAA :lol:

Is this a serious thread?

Cuz, it's all shenaningans.

I've left my lights on MANY times. It's not that difficult to forget to turn off the reading light. I've jump started my car with my Honda Odyssey and with my little portable charger.

There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in jump starting procedure.

I jumped a number of times. Its not going to mess up your car.

Subaru has a big fuse inline with the battery connection, one false move and it blows, saving your electronics. I know because that fuse is expensive :(

Where and how do people come up with this nonsense?

Jumper cables are exactly as dangerous/safe to use on the Legacy as any other car.

Your forgetting this is a Spec B, the holy grail were talking about here. :lol:

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

when I had a broken leg my idiot friend drained my battery. Then he and my other idiot friend tried to jump it and did it BACKWARDS!! It ended up blowing a fuse (thank goodness there is one) and I had to get it towed by Subie Roadside to the dealer and the buy a $26 fuse and I was good to go.

Since this is going off-topic anyway... Here's a funny story that happened to my buddy.

As he was leaving the parking lot, he spies a fairly attractive young lady with her mom stranded because their BMW won't start. My buddy decides to go and rescue them. He pulls up with his jumper cables and proceeds to hook it up... except he can't find the battery. He looks all over for it, but it's no where to be found. Eventually, he surmises that the big red cap with the plus sign on it has something to do with it, but he was scared to blow the ECU or something like that... He pulls out the manual and reads it. It took him a while to finally jump start the car.

CN: German car makers like to hide the battery in the trunk, under the rear seat, or under some panels.

Is this a serious thread?

Cuz, it's all shenaningans.

I've left my lights on MANY times. It's not that difficult to forget to turn off the reading light. I've jump started my car with my Honda Odyssey and with my little portable charger.

There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in jump starting procedure.

Er... in my Legacy, the map and interior lights automatically shut off after some time (~15 minutes) to prevent battery rundown. I've left them on at least half a dozen times and each time, they automatically shut off. Turning the key to "on" is enough to reactivate the lights.

Not to start a flame war, but American cars (e.g. Chevrolet) have had this feature for more than ten years now. Japanese automakers are just getting around to it. I find it interesting too that Fords (and later, other American makes) have had auto-dimming rear-view mirrors (either standard or optional in Lincolns and other models) since 1984. These inexpensive mirrors are still "options" on most Japanese cars. What gives?

I appreciate cars of all makes and types, so I'm not hating on Japanese cars. I own one and my wife has a Camry.

Just for the record I have used my 05 lgt to jump 3 different cars and had to jump my legacy once when i left the stereo running to long.

However Unless its absolutely the only way, you should always hook up the ground on the jump-ee to a grounding point other then the battery. While i have never heard of anyone having an explosion of gas on the jumpee side when the spark hits, its better safe then sorry.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Has the average IQ of this site been dropping the past few months?

Are you talking about the thread starter?

That would be me...

Yes it is the spec b... holy grail...spe b's were not designed to be jumper cars...

:)

Please don't insult my inteligence or my IQ.

It is a perfectly reasonable question.

My older friend who is a mechanical engineer and makes his own automated equipment and services every machine on earth and has built his own house, etc etc etc... I could go on forever.....

Anyways...he's one of the smartest guys I've ever met.

He's one of those ham radio guys too.

Anyways..when I first bought my car he mentioned how sophisticated cars were getting and to be careful and he recommended that I never use it to jump start someone's car. I could turn down someone but if I saw someone stuck I'd like to know if anyone had any thoughts on the subject.

Anyways... I don't carry jumper cables (too much weight)

same reason I won't order the AVO v2 TMIC until it comes out in carbon fiber....

and yes my toilet at home is carbon fiber too.. :)

The past Lincoln LS V8 models had the battery in the trunk, reason being the engine took up all the available space and its an american car.... it was hard to locate that battery.

Yea, the Jag S-Type is the same way. As those cars share the same base platform.

I found that out the hard way when my mom's Jag needed a jump and my pops was out on a business trip, and I had to jump the Jag. Took me about 5 minutes to figure out, if it isn't in the engine compartment, then it must be in the trunk. Bloody Fords...

If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

Anyways... I don't carry jumper cables (too much weight)

same reason I won't order the AVO v2 TMIC until it comes out in carbon fiber....

and yes my toilet at home is carbon fiber too.. :)

Aww... So you already had what I suggested? :p

-Mike-

Yea, the Jag S-Type is the same way. As those cars share the same base platform.

I found that out the hard way when my mom's Jag needed a jump and my pops was out on a business trip, and I had to jump the Jag. Took me about 5 minutes to figure out, if it isn't in the engine compartment, then it must be in the trunk. Bloody Fords...

The Volvo S80 in my family has it in the back too. Found out the same way you did lol :)

By the way you don't have to go to the trunk to jump the car. There are special jump points under the hood, they are clearly marked and it should be detailed in your owners manual ;)

Archived