LegacyGT.com

My '05 Legacy GT has been the most disappointing and unreliable vehicle ever

Good point... but you have to accept that a car ownership experience includes the dealer, the manufacturer, AND the car's reliability. Even if Subaru vehicles are reliable, do you really think they can build a brand if everything about owning the car sucks?

SOA and the dealer haven't been helpful so Mike's perception of Subaru has drastically, and understandably, gone south. He's an enthusiast as well, think about all the stories we DON'T hear about. You think someone who goes through this really wants to get another car from the same manufacturer? I probably wouldn't...

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good point... but you have to accept that a car ownership experience includes the dealer, the manufacturer, AND the car's reliability. Even if Subaru vehicles are reliable, do you really think they can build a brand if everything about owning the car sucks?

SOA and the dealer haven't been helpful so Mike's perception of Subaru has drastically, and understandably, gone south. He's an enthusiast as well, think about all the stories we DON'T hear about. You think someone who goes through this really wants to get another car from the same manufacturer? I probably wouldn't...

Good point. I'm fortunate to be in easy driving distance of four different dealers, though the closest one usually gives pretty good service. Actually, maybe that's *why* they give good service - because they know that if they don't give good service, the other dealers will get the business.

It's good to have choice.

I feel ya! :D I have about ohhhh.... 6-7 dealers within an hour of me out in the PNW. :p

Mike, move out here and solve your problems. :hide::lol:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

How country is Country for an SI guy? :lol:

You could live within 30 mins of Microsoft and be WAAAYYY out in affordable country. :D Or Boeing too. Affordable is just 15 mins from either Everett or the Tukwila campuses. :D IT galore out here buddy.........

Have you actually ever thought of moving? I know the PNW is not your style so maybe something out east. Seriously, for your IT talent there is a market in sooooo many other places affordable. You don't like NY, so get the hell out of there! :D Go up to Bristol and work for ESPN. :)

I have a couple points, for what it's worth. I tinkered a lot on 3 different Mitsu3000gt / Vr4. 3 ltr twin AWD. The 3si.org forum was superb for troubleshooting. I have had SVX, WRX, and now have a 05 LGT and 05 2.5i (4 wifey).

I got my LGT, after taking out a 150 lb pig on hwy 1 at 60mph in wifey's 2.5i (before it even had plates). after a minor 700$ worth of plastico the 2.5i looks, runs fine. not one metal part was changed. the pig launced the 2.5i fully off the ground. i was impressed. huge mess.

the 05 2.5i had in service history a changed ECU.

the 3000gt/VR4 ECU (and many mitsu) had a freakin weird ECU problem that would cause the most intermittent & unrelated errors - after chasing bad running conditions for months replaced that ECU and voila - runs great. Used to get intermittent CEL codes, rough running, and TPI errors. three shops could not adequately trouble shoot the symptom - including dealer - so I read up on it myself & got a data logger.

this forum doesn't have the depth, due to the age of platform, to outline all possible scenarios with the ECU.

I'd suggest also to try to find a data logger, to better understand the rough running - it's not that tough.

Given all the hassle, my suggestion is to find a junkyard ECU (the one I bought was $175 vs dealer $1200). It was pretty easy to swap out, and much less time than the run around you've already done.

When it's acting up, swap the ECU. If it fixes it, you're done.

just my 2 cents . I think the '05 LG is a fine platform, lot of value for the $$.

be persistent to find the problem - you are the best one to solve the issue, you can't always count on a typical shop.

^^^ Good points but you can't swap out the ECU in a LEgacy because of the chipped key. If you do, the dealership has to reprogram all your keys.

Good try, but no dice. My money still sit with the STP intake messing up the MAF. My brother once had an old Alfa Romeo that used to run like crap intermintently, it turned out the plastic intake had holes after the MAF sensor that was letting in more air than what was metered. It did exactly as the description of this GT. The intale was replaced, and the car ran like a dream.

X

---

• 1 year later...
My 05 Legacy GT is a lemon as well. Faulty ignition wires, 2 failed injectors, 3rd brake light on spoiler not working(SOA tried to charge me), drivers side door handle broke somewhere on the inside of the door(SOA tried to charge me), somehow my fault???, now has rough idle, SOA won't fix because it's not throwing a CEL, and now my foglights dont work and console around shifter is peeling....$31k car(100k warranty) and this is what I get. Next time it will be a BMW or Lexus. Atleast they stand behind there products.

My 05 Legacy GT is a lemon as well. Faulty ignition wires, 2 failed injectors, 3rd brake light on spoiler not working(SOA tried to charge me), drivers side door handle broke somewhere on the inside of the door(SOA tried to charge me), somehow my fault???, now has rough idle, SOA won't fix because it's not throwing a CEL, and now my foglights dont work and console around shifter is peeling....$31k car(100k warranty) and this is what I get. Next time it will be a BMW or Lexus. Atleast they stand behind there products.

Legacy GT's don't have ignition wires.

Injectors fail ('05 Yellow tops are known to be problematic).

SOA isn't trying to charge you, your dealer is. Find a better dealer.

Foglight bulbs burn out

Extended warranty doesn't cover everything

You won't get must Lexus or BMW for 31k...

;)

My main gripe is that birds like to crap on this thing more than all the other cars I've owned combined.

I discovered parking under trees is a bad idea.

The only problem I've had with my 05 GT is the radiator fan stuck to on. Too lazy to bother getting it fixed, though.

Holy thread necro!

My main gripe is that birds like to crap on this thing more than all the other cars I've owned combined.

That's what the sunroof is for. Makes a great bird blind. Just make sure you clean up your shells - they can mar the leather...:lol:

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Just to share a recent experience, a good friend and former boss bought a 2006 BMW 330cic (convertible). Note: This is the last year of the e46 model, quite literally had about 8 model years to work out bugs and such.

Anyway, he starts seeing smoke come out of the hood one day around 5-7k miles. Brings it in. BMW dealership says it's excess cosmoline (?) that hadn't burnt off yet, normal, etc. Washes the engine off and sends him home.

Same thing happens 3 more times over the next 8-10k miles. They tell him he's not driving enough and that the car's not getting hot enough. He told them he regularly drives 30 minutes each way to work and takes the car on hours-long trips.

Finally, he's had enough. He brings it in, dumps it on them, and says "Fix it. I don't care if you have to take the engine apart, but it's a brand new 45k car and smoke is coming out of the engine bay on a regular basis. Fix it. And I want a 3-series loaner."

So they give him a 335i coupe automatic (nice) as a loaner and take the car in.

Turns out the head gasket was leaking. They had to take the top end apart, put a new head gasket in.

He had to track down this information over weeks, barely had any feedback from the dealership, and no one apologized for the extreme run-around he was given.

He got the car back after 2 1/2-3 weeks, fully detailed (at least they could do that), with just a "here are your keys".

Now he's got a 45k bimmer that had a head gasket leak for 15k miles, with just a new head gasket, and the engine taken apart by who knows who.

All car manufacturers experience problems. And sometimes you get a lemon, or just a really bad experience.

Good luck to you!

Joe

P.s. About to hit 50k on my 06 Civic SI with minimal problems, but plenty of others have had to have their transmissions modified for a 3rd gear syncro problem.

Sounds like bad customer service has been more of the problem than the actual car. Still, if you get a car brand new you shouldn't have to worry about it having issues.

+1 for checking the laws and reporting the dealer.

When did Subaru stop using the yellow top injectors?

They still use the yellow top (and a blue top) but something has changed after the '05 model year and the problems on those particular yellow tops. Lots of stumbling, rough idle concerns and misfire CEL's. Many are cured by replacing an injector (or 2, 3, 4).

• 1 year later...

Archived