LegacyGT.com

My '05 Legacy GT has been the most disappointing and unreliable vehicle ever

Anyone in NY suggest a dealership they view as 'reliable'... or at least 'knowledgeable' that they could recommend him personally. There's this saying: Garbage In... Garbage Out... if the guys working on it are garbage, and don't know garbage, your going to get a garbage result.

I'd 100% visit another dealership. I went to 4 in my area (~30 mile radius) before buying my '08, and they were all quite different in terms of service. I went with the one that treated me the best.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, but they have twice the number of cylinders to smooth out the idle...

Evo's manage to idle smoothly, Acura TL's manage to idle smoothly, Infiniti G35's manage to idle smoothly, Mazdaspeed6's manage to idle smoothly...

...my Legacy GT manages to idle smoothly.

Point being: if the car is as rough at idle as the OP states, there's probably something wrong with it. It's his car, he should know better than anyone else.

Some people on this site act as if they are personally offended when somebody else posts about the issues they're having with a Legacy GT - I don't understand that... :confused:

Mike,

I have followed your frustrations since you bought the car. I believe you and this car were just not meant to be. But you've really had one problem with the car that can be blamed on Subaru. I am surprised you've not replaced your ecu yet. This seems to be the culprit if you have new injector packs and plugs. You can get your ecu replaced for free under subaru's recall for the ccoling fan problem.

Also change your dealer for one more competent.

It sounds like you have been dealing with a seriously crappy dealer! Have you been taking it to this same dealer for all of the warranty work? I would take it to a different dealer to have the work done. I bet the guys in your regional forum could recommend someone around you with a much better service department and track record. I wouldn't give that dealer another dime. Who knows maybe a dealership with a better service department can actually fix your car!

BINGO. After reading Mike's entire initial post, it was very clear to me the car is not the problem, it's 100% dealership.

Mike, I had a similar issue with trembling at idle, and once it was correctly fixed, viola. . . problem solved. Everything else you ranted about was about the service you were receiving, or rather NOT receiving, from your dealership.

Take your car to a different dealership.

BINGO. After reading Mike's entire initial post, it was very clear to me the car is not the problem, it's 100% dealership.

Mike, I had a similar issue with trembling at idle, and once it was correctly fixed, viola. . . problem solved. Everything else you ranted about was about the service you were receiving, or rather NOT receiving, from your dealership.

Take your car to a different dealership.

Wait, your dealer fixed your viola? :eek: Wow, a multi-service center. :spin:

Just raggin' on ya dude. I know you meant voila. Those stupid french words...

Maybe it is the SPT Intake, which is throwing off the MAF.

me thinks this is your problem.

if i remember correctly, people with na cars have problems with cai

if its when the engine is cold maybe the maf and the extra "choke" fuel don't "mix".

take off the cai and go back to stock

Mike, here is my "professional" opinion...

Normally with the symptoms you have decribed I would say you have an injector problem. But you say the dealer "reportedly" changed the injectors. If that is true several other things come to mind...

First if the injectors were replaced, how long ago? The earlier batches of injectors (Legacy GT & STi) seem to have more stumbling/misfire type problems than the later batches. If the injectors were changed early on, maybe you got another bad one (or two, or three...)

Second, has anyone ever checked the electronic throttle body? There have been a few cases where the throttle body was working erratically causing similar concerns.

Third, has anyone ever checked the fuel tank for debris/contaminants? Being that the '05's have an in-tank fuel filter one tank of dirty fuel can cause a problem. I've found that since the filter is now in the tank no one wants to check it. If it's clogged or blocked it could be your concern.

And last, while they are checking the fuel filter have them test the fuel pump...

Whomever you take the car to next should be asked to use their new Subaru Select Monitor 3 while road testing the car. With the SSM3 they can monitor the cylinder roughness, throttle position, fuel pressure & delivery, etc. When the car acts up they should see which component has the erratic readings and repair that part.

Like I said, the most common culprit for the concern as you described it is a faulty fuel injector, if one of the cylinders shows roughness you can bet that injector is garbage.

Hope this helps!

:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by qikslvr http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

it's not necessarily the idle, it's the rockin of the drivetrain from all that power.

Corvettes manage to idle smoothly...

At twice the cost I would sure as hell hope it would at least idle smoothly. I know my LGT would with another $28,000 in parts.

Ya, that other line was kind of a joke. Please turn up or adjust the sarcasm sensors. It isn't a rough idle. It's the design and flow of exhaust. I think the people with equal length headers feel a much smoother idle or should I say they perceive a smoother idle.

Anyone with ELH want to chime in on that?

Let's kick this pig!

If you have a documented case with SoA for a specific issue you started having before your warranty ran out, you won't be paying to have it fixed post warranty. I was told this by a dealer for my still unresolved dashboard rattle. I'm fairly certain this is SoA policy.

Please tell us you towed it to a different dealer.

Mike, here is my "professional" opinion...

Normally with the symptoms you have decribed I would say you have an injector problem. But you say the dealer "reportedly" changed the injectors. If that is true several other things come to mind...

First if the injectors were replaced, how long ago? The earlier batches of injectors (Legacy GT & STi) seem to have more stumbling/misfire type problems than the later batches. If the injectors were changed early on, maybe you got another bad one (or two, or three...)

Second, has anyone ever checked the electronic throttle body? There have been a few cases where the throttle body was working erratically causing similar concerns.

Third, has anyone ever checked the fuel tank for debris/contaminants? Being that the '05's have an in-tank fuel filter one tank of dirty fuel can cause a problem. I've found that since the filter is now in the tank no one wants to check it. If it's clogged or blocked it could be your concern.

And last, while they are checking the fuel filter have them test the fuel pump...

Whomever you take the car to next should be asked to use their new Subaru Select Monitor 3 while road testing the car. With the SSM3 they can monitor the cylinder roughness, throttle position, fuel pressure & delivery, etc. When the car acts up they should see which component has the erratic readings and repair that part.

Like I said, the most common culprit for the concern as you described it is a faulty fuel injector, if one of the cylinders shows roughness you can bet that injector is garbage.

Hope this helps!

Opie has always helped me out with my service/maintenance questions.

He has given the OP very good advice.

JTFC... I'm sorry this is such a crapshoot for ya. :(

It's sounds like the real problem is the service, not the car. It has only been a small number of problems - they just can't seem to fix them correctly.

That shouldn't reflect poorly on Subaru's quality or reliability, just on the poor quality of the service department of that particular dealer.

Archived