LegacyGT.com

***Dyno Day on July 21 at Yimi Sport Tuning in Santa Clarita***

Boostjunkie

Hey Manny,

Nice meeting you dude. I pulled 325/308? Down 20/15 from Harman's Dynoject in May. Everything looked in order, except that i did these pulls in 100+ ambient. So everything is pretty much in good running order, now I have to bring her out to the track and see how she does :D

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a STI pull up about 30 minutes before I had to leave yesterday. Did it run on the dyno? was it stock?

Surprisingly, I'm getting a bunch of ney-sayers on the Mazda forum claiming that Yimi's dyno must be running higher than any other Dynojet. I thought the response would be more like "way to go! Mazda well represented!"

But instead its mostly flaming.

Paul,

would it be possible to recalculate my dyno run with it "Uncorrected"? lots of negativism being expressed and how much you can fudge the numbers based on SAE correction factors. I don't know if that can only be done real time based on the computer settings during the run, of if it can recalculate an uncorrected plot after the fact.

if so, just PM it to me on this board. thanks!

Mike's numbers are lower than HMs dyno.

yeah. I saw that. sure proves to me that Yimi's dyno is "middle of the road".

but that indirect evidence is too difficult to convey.

if there was a stock STI or WRX that ran yesterday, I sure would appreciate the dyno plot. or at least the whp/wtq numbers. but a plot is always more believable, as we all know. :rolleyes:

Kevin, your car is a lightweight:eek:, but with bad-ass power.

Anthony and Paul told me that my car was probably right in line with HM's dynojet, but with the boost/tune i'm running, the 100+ temps caused my car to dyno lower(cause of the ecu pulling timing across the board?). Correct me if i'm wrong tho, Paul.

I believe the general consensus is... the Legacy 5EAT blows on the dyno, and my tune/block are doing okay 3+ months since my protune :spin:. I'll try to bring some next track numbers in a week or so.

Mike

I saw a STI pull up about 30 minutes before I had to leave yesterday. Did it run on the dyno? was it stock?

Surprisingly, I'm getting a bunch of ney-sayers on the Mazda forum claiming that Yimi's dyno must be running higher than any other Dynojet. I thought the response would be more like "way to go! Mazda well represented!"

Paul,

would it be possible to recalculate my dyno run with it "Uncorrected"? lots of negativism being expressed and how much you can fudge the numbers based on SAE correction factors. I don't know if that can only be done real time based on the computer settings during the run, of if it can recalculate an uncorrected plot after the fact.

a lot of guys on here think that my numbers are too high...no flaming but they do think its high, whatever, let them be, let the nay-sayers be nay-sayers...we already know you can build a hell of a car kev, so no worries man

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

a lot of guys on here think that my numbers are too high...no flaming but they do think its high, whatever, let them be, let the nay-sayers be nay-sayers...we already know you can build a hell of a car kev, so no worries man

i believe your numbers... hah

i went 261 awhp 317awtq with MR headers/up, catless invidia dp, magnaflow cbe and avo drop in

oh, I am not saying the Mazda 3 isn't bad-ass... I told Kevin it is my favorite of the subcompact sports cars... Wrx included.

I meant my comment as holy *ck, it put down 250/300 stock.

deciding what to do while waiting (and waiting, waiting.....) for Cobb to finally release the new AP v.2 for the Mazdaspeed3.

a GB is going on right now for a full TBE package for $950 shipped.

or I can get a killer deal on a really nice CBE for only $550 shipped.

I might leave the stock (single cat) DP on and buy a catless mid-pipe to remove the 2nd cat along with that 3" CBE exhaust. Should be good for maybe 20-30 more!

deciding what to do while waiting (and waiting, waiting.....) for Cobb to finally release the new AP v.2 for the Mazdaspeed3.

a GB is going on right now for a full TBE package for $950 shipped.

or I can get a killer deal on a really nice CBE for only $550 shipped.

I might leave the stock (single cat) DP on and buy a catless mid-pipe to remove the 2nd cat along with that 3" CBE exhaust. Should be good for maybe 20-30 more!

Waiting for cobb... LOL. I hope they come out with one for you soon man.

Mike

Paul,

I can certainly give you a graph with no SAE correction applied. The numbers will be lower due to the 100* temps we saw on the dyno yesterday. There are no external correction factors applied other than the SAE correction, which is pretty standard and just attempts to correct for temperature, barometric pressure and humidity.

I believe that the correction factor is accurate in terms of compensating for temperature, but is less accurate in compensating for elevation changes on forced induction vehicles. Given that Yimi is only 1000 ft above sea level, the altitude portion of the SAE correction factor is virtually nil.

As for otherwise being generous, I don't think so at all. Yimi's dyno reads basically the same as the Dynojet at Harman Motive, which is generally considered to be a very normal to conservative Dynojet. Of course both dynos read higher than an older Dyno Dynamics or most any Mustang dyno and a little lower than most Dynapacks. Dynojets by their nature are pretty dang consistent from unit to unit, because all they do is calculate power from time needed to accelerate a know mass (the rollers). You can't futz with the numbers from a Dynojet, they are what they are.

I spoke with Chris @ Cobb on Friday. They have a prototype AP running the shop's Speed3. They are done with the ECU cracking and remapping. The hold-up is getting a production supply source for the new CAN bus on +07 ECUs.

He said that once CAN connectors/cables finally arrive, that Cobb plans to first satisfy all the pent up demand for 07/08 Subarus.......I presume that means the LGT too. The decision that Cobb hasn't made yet is what brand to offer APs for next. They are ready to do the Nissan/Infiniti VQ engine platforms (350Z, Altima 3.5, G35/M35) now. So its going to be either that or the Mazdaspeed. You know which vote I gave him!

did that STI run yesterday? would still like to quote some stock Subaru car for comparison sake.

Paul - thanks for the good explanation. I wish the Mazda crowd was half as educated as Suby guys.......or at least LGTers!

yeah. I saw that. sure proves to me that Yimi's dyno is "middle of the road".

but that indirect evidence is too difficult to convey.

if there was a stock STI or WRX that ran yesterday, I sure would appreciate the dyno plot. or at least the whp/wtq numbers. but a plot is always more believable, as we all know. :rolleyes:

A stock STi puts down anywhere from 245-255 whp on the Yimi dyno. A stock Evo 9 ran yesterday and put down about 249whp. In very similar heat a couple of days ago, marcocb8's stage 2 LGT (catted with stock catback) did 229whp on the Cobb map and 248whp on a Protuned map. A stock 05-06 LGT is around 210 whp.

Your car ran very strong Kevin. Sucks that the Mazda guys can't be happy for you having a Wednesday car.

did that STI run yesterday? would still like to quote some stock Subaru car for comparison sake.

Paul - thanks for the good explanation. I wish the Mazda crowd was half as educated as Suby guys.......or at least LGTers!

If you are refering to the blue WRX, that was Anthony's car (Yim's Subaru tuner). It's FAR from stock. Fully built 2.5L block with cammed and ported 2.0L heads. HUGE rotated T66 turbo. Did 375whp on straight pump gas on a preliminary tune. Should be right around 400 whp fully tuned out on pump. Well over 500 whp on pump + alky or race gas.

I spoke with Chris @ Cobb on Friday. They have a prototype AP running the shop's Speed3. They are done with the ECU cracking and remapping. The hold-up is getting a production supply source for the new CAN bus on +07 ECUs.

He said that once CAN connectors/cables finally arrive, that Cobb plans to first satisfy all the pent up demand for 07/08 Subarus.......I presume that means the LGT too. The decision that Cobb hasn't made yet is what brand to offer APs for next. They are ready to do the Nissan/Infiniti VQ engine platforms (350Z, Altima 3.5, G35/M35) now. So its going to be either that or the Mazdaspeed. You know which vote I gave him!

That's not too surprising... the LGT guys, and future 08+ WRX/STi guys would stage a burn down cobb's facility if they didn't :D

Unfortunately, that VQ market is bigger than the mazdaspeed market, no?

Mike

Archived