LegacyGT.com

Noise: silencer delete vs. aftermarket intake?

NSFW

Has anyone here done the silencer delete, and later upgraded to an aftermarket short-ram or cold-air intake? Do they sound similar? Which is louder?

I reinstalled my intake silencer because I didn't care for the extra noise, and it occurred to me that an intake upgrade might sound similar.

Just curious.

An open filter element intake is in deed louder than a silencer delete but is a totally different sound. With the silencer delete you get more of a Honda-ish sound, as in deep growl. While with and intake it is much more spooling turbo noises, similar to a giant turbo diesel truck.

by silencer delete do you mean taking the bottom of the stock intake box off? if so thats a complete waste of time it sounds awful. the AEM cai that i have now is slightly louder but at least it sounds like a car should plus you can hear the turbo spool. bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

Yeah, that's what I mean. I didn't care for the boomy noise. Is the AEM loud at cruise, or just when you step on it?

can't hear it at all at cruise speeds, at WOT you hear the turbo spool (AVO 380 bb) when you let off to shift you hear the BOV which sounds exactly like a WRC car on TV i actually like the sound, stay off the boost and it's quiet. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I had stock intake, to a silencer removed/AVO panel setup, then the SPT Short ram. SPT takes the cake with sound, gives the car a much desires BOV sound plus the spooling sound is to die for. Seriously makes people realize that you have a turbo. But its not like an actual VTA BOV, like PSHHH...it's more of a pshhh if that makes sense haha

SPT intake FTW + under warrenty. Just tune it in with TDC for $125...

Zac

This may show my ignorance, but where do you find the silencer to pull out. I changed my filter and left the snorkel off, it does sound more aggresive but I'm not sure where to look for the silencer. Any help?

And as I'm sure everyone else already knows Fram's 4309 filter does NOT fir the 06 LGT. But the Purolator A35592 does. Wix filter # 46914 does too.

I took out the silencer about 2 years ago and like the deep low-tone wooshing air induction noise when I step on it (but I'm an old H-Brand ricer at heart).

About a year ago I installed the AVO panel filter and liked what I heard, more turbo spool up noises, but pretty slight for what I was expecting.

There's really no performance benefits, just a little sound and the benefit of a re-usable filter that can be cleaned.

The combination of both is pretty nice and aggressive at full throttle but still understated that it passes for a stock-ish car.

I don't want an aftermarket exhaust out back for the boxer rumble so all these up added engine noises are just fine for me.

The GFB blow off valveI installed is also a nice ricer touch that suits me just fine.:cool:

i hacked the tar out of my intake box and i think it sounds great. before this i had a blitz sus and found it to be annoying. hence the sale of the unit. my car now has just the right amount of turbo noise fo me :)

p.s. i have a k&n panel filter

Archived