LegacyGT.com

An Illustrated Guide to Getting Rid of that Feet Smell

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The PDF file looks really professional, did you make it yourself?

Thanks, I am a professional.

If the smell keeps coming back, its your cabin air filter. You'll need to have that replaced.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Sorry, I should have remembered that.

I wonder if you have a leak, or your mats are the offender. Have you tried the Lysol treatment that others have spoken about?

Haven't tried Lysol and reluctant to smell that in the cabin for any length of time. The mats are all weather and no leaks I've found, IE; carpets are dry. I think it's just a recurring thing, although it didn't come back on my girl's car. Hmm- maybe there's like some leaves stuck in there decaying or something.

• 10 months later...

Long ago, when I worked in research labs, we used bleach solutions as disinfectants, especially to kill viruses. The one thing you will notice when you enter a lab that uses bleach as a general disinfectant, is that there is widespread metal corrosion on the equipment.

Spraying a bleach solution down the HVAC intake will lead to corrosion of the aluminim fins on the heat exchanger, I would think.

I pulled this info from a patent for "coated" heat exchangers:

"...........The water in heat exchangers of domestic or automotive air conditioners or domestic heat exchangers frequently contains bacteria and fungi. Most relatively small heat exchangers employed in domestic and automotive air conditioners and domestic heat exchangers become colonized with mold and/or bacteria after two to three weeks of use. A “sweaty sock smell” is associated with such mold and/or in connection with such heat exchangers during spring and winter. This is because domestic air conditioners and heat pumps changeover at this time from heating to cooling and vice versa. Also, automotive and domestic air conditioners are usually first put into use in spring....................household bleach removes mold odor but corrodes heat exchanger fin assemblies after a few applications. The corroded fin assemblies cause the fin assembly surfaces to be roughened, thereby causing a greater adherence of mold spores to these surfaces................"

Guest *Jedimaster*
Long ago, when I worked in research labs, we used bleach solutions as disinfectants, especially to kill viruses. The one thing you will notice when you enter a lab that uses bleach as a general disinfectant, is that there is widespread metal corrosion on the equipment.

Spraying a bleach solution down the HVAC intake will lead to corrosion of the aluminim fins on the heat exchanger, I would think.

I pulled this info from a patent for "coated" heat exchangers:

"...........The water in heat exchangers of domestic or automotive air conditioners or domestic heat exchangers frequently contains bacteria and fungi. Most relatively small heat exchangers employed in domestic and automotive air conditioners and domestic heat exchangers become colonized with mold and/or bacteria after two to three weeks of use. A “sweaty sock smell” is associated with such mold and/or in connection with such heat exchangers during spring and winter. This is because domestic air conditioners and heat pumps changeover at this time from heating to cooling and vice versa. Also, automotive and domestic air conditioners are usually first put into use in spring....................household bleach removes mold odor but corrodes heat exchanger fin assemblies after a few applications. The corroded fin assemblies cause the fin assembly surfaces to be roughened, thereby causing a greater adherence of mold spores to these surfaces................"

Oh shit, looks like I'll be avoiding doing this one again. Thanks dude :)

....Spraying a bleach solution down the HVAC intake will lead to corrosion of the aluminim fins on the heat exchanger, I would think.

...."

Can you confirm that the cabin air intake vent has anything to do with the HVAC?? The AC condenser/compressor is a closed system and I wouldn't think it would be affected by the "fresh"-air intake for the cabin:confused:. Puzzled, as I don't see the AC being turned on when you flush the vent/fresh air system with the bleach/h2o mix, there would be no way for the solution to enter the closed AC system.(?) I didn't "used to" work at a lab, I still do and we use 10% bleach on everything, the only corrosion is in the sink drain.

lizard.

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Can you confirm that the cabin air intake vent has anything to do with the HVAC?? The AC condenser/compressor is a closed system and I wouldn't think it would be affected by the "fresh"-air intake for the cabin:confused:. Puzzled, as I don't see the AC being turned on when you flush the vent/fresh air system with the bleach/h2o mix, there would be no way for the solution to enter the closed AC system.(?) I didn't "used to" work at a lab, I still do and we use 10% bleach on everything, the only corrosion is in the sink drain.

lizard.

When you use the heater or AC, air (either recirculated, or fresh air that enters via the external vent) passes through the blower motor, over the aluminum fins on the heat exchanger (evaporator) and over the aluminum fins on the heater core. When bleach is sprayed down the intake vent it will not touch the "internals" of the AC system, but it will make contact with the blower fan, the external fins on the evaporator and the external fins on the heater core.

Hmmmm, so how does one go about purchasing said disinfectant product from airsept? Seems like they only deal with distributors... either that or they've never heard of e-commerce.

edit --> Well, I just sent an email to the company via their website to find out how a consumer would obtain said product... I guess we'll find out what the story is.

After doing a little digging though, I also came up with this (pic below) on subaruparts.com... has anyone tried this yet?

subaru_cleaner.png.de5fbb4de33aff3b6671c28cee9cdbfa.png

Hmmmm, so how does one go about purchasing said disinfectant product from airsept? Seems like they only deal with distributors... either that or they've never heard of e-commerce.

edit --> Well, I just sent an email to the company via their website to find out how a consumer would obtain said product... I guess we'll find out what the story is.

After doing a little digging though, I also came up with this (pic below) on subaruparts.com... has anyone tried this yet?

That is a good find! I wonder what the ingredients are?

Guest *Jedimaster*
ok, so i shouldn't use bleach...even if martha washingtons vagina is in my dash??

perhaps just changing the cabin filter and a shot of lysol will work with out ruining anything..

I dunno man- I'm gonna try misting some friggin' Monistat in there or something.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cpmbags.com/s4_soaps/cidecon.jpg

We use this at work to kill TB in our BSL3 labs.

As a matter of fact i have a few cans of these whenever I go traveling to disinfect the washroom in the hotel where I am staying. It kills just about anything microbial. You just know you can lick the surface after you treat it with this.

It is meant to be used in a lab setting meaning spraying surfaces that would otherwise be corroded by chlorine bleach. We use bleach for floors but stainless steel bench tops and small instruments are disinfected with CiDecon if we cannot autoclave it.

(

CiDECON® aersol spray is an effective phenolic disinfectant - deodorant that is pneudominocidal, staphylocidal, tuberculocidal, virucidal and fungicidal. Also effective on HIV-1 and other pathogonenic organisms.

This product will control the followng organisms: HIV-1 (associated with AIDS), tubercle bacilli (TB), Salmonella choleraesuis, Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Steptococcus pyogenes, Trichophyton mentagraphytes. 20 oz can.)

Is this spray something the average person can obtain? Or is it strictly distributed to labs? I'm definitely interested in trying a can of this stuff as I'm still stuck with the sweaty sock in my vents. Thx!

We use Decon products in our lab too, most come with a "health" warning usually for inhaling/skin contact/eye contact. This stuff DOES work quite well and kills just about everything under the sun. Attached is the msds and linky where you can get it. http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A317971011%2Cp%5F4%3ADecon%20Laboratories&page=1 hope the link works.:)

lizard.

Decon MSDS.pdf

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Archived