LegacyGT.com

2009 Cadillac CTS-v 600hp

Reliability, really? Thinking about it, I laughed. Last two American cars: Buick Century Wagon, Oldsmobile Aurora (V8). The Century died after 8 months (:lol:) and the Aurora after 7 years. Last two German cars Audi A6 and BMW 330xi. The A6 still on the road as far as I know. The Bimmer is still in the garage...it just made me laugh.

SLegacy. How long have you been driving ?

and college football is alot better (and less controversial) than the NFL. Michael Vick, kick him outta the league forever.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and college football is alot better (and less controversial) than the NFL. Michael Vick, kick him outta the league forever.

While college football is better than the NFL that is not saying much. The players are there to play ball not get an education, and most of them that I have ever met were dumber than a box of rocks. It's still all about the money in college ball, it's just kind of an NFL pre-school.:mad:

People grow at different rates, im 20 i have a kid and have been through things that most people dont even think of in there lives. Also the GM pushrod performance motors are reliable as hell. I have seen 6 speed ls1 cars with overe 130k miles on them bone stock and still dynoed at over 300rwhp. Not to mention this 620hp vette still gets 17city and 24 freeway, if you buy the slr mcclaren or viper those cars get mid teens freeway with the same or less hp. My ls1 making 347rwhp still got 24-27 freeway mpg.

He's only 21 so his total life experience as an adult at anything is rather limited.

But my powers of observation are pretty good. ;) My dad has always said that I am much quicker with car related issues than my older brother. And he's right. My brother spent the last month trying to figure out what the dealer did to make his car rattle. Turns out he had a cuff link in his center console. :lol: Oh that makes me laugh.

Again, Buick Century: lifetime 8 months. Nope, never drove it, but I can tell when an engine blows up. :)

Im sorry you a a bad experience with a buick centry, first of who but extremely old people buys those cars. My Grandpa has had only Le Sabre since the mid 80s buying a new one every 3-4 years. Not one problem with any of those cars. I have had all american cars up until my Legacy and they all lasted me. My LT1 formula was put though over 90kmiles with me behing the wheel racing all ofver this great country of ours. The only thing that ever broke was my low coolant sensor. People say american cars arent reliable and that was true in the mid 80s to early early 90s America was putting out some crap cars. But since then cars have got alot better. My dads silverado has 135kmiles on it alot of them offroading miles since he lives pretty far north and hunts and offroads in summer. We have beat that thing to shit and yeah he jsut recently had to replace the rear end, but lets take any vehicle offoad for a long period of time and see if it still holds together. That thing has to have atleast 30k-40k just offroad miles, and im not talking nice trails im talking huge rocks in the trail.

I dont, right now your seeing the death of all the turbo mitubishi cars and shit like that. Even the evo and the SRT-4s once they start getting up there in miles are gonna start breaking. Thats why SRT-4s loose there value so quick, everyone even dealers know that high mileage DSMs break. Its a fact, I have owned 3 1 eclipse and 2 talons, all were trubo all died long before 140kmiles, highest mileage one was 137k, the other 2 were right around 100k. 2 were stock one ran low 14s. Everyone with evos is gonna have a rude awakining in a couple years once they start really getting up there. Its a motor that has shown time and time again to break after have boost put on it for over 90kmiles. Obviously there are gonna be those guys who dont break. Hell i have seen a 600rwhp Trans Am with the stock T-56 jsut a stage 4 clutch and it has had that much horsepower running low 10s high 9s since it had 20kmiles on it and it now has 88kmiles and over 200 track passes with the same stock tranny. I have never seen anyone else do that with a stock tranny.

T-56's are tougher than nails though, and so are small block Chevy V8's. I will say that I do agree (it happens every now and again) with SLegacy99 about the premature expiration of domestic passenger cars. Specifically any front wheel drive domestic cars. They usually have a badly underpowered/under engineered V6 hooked up to a marginal transmission. Especially the older ones. The weakest link is the tranny in all these cars, they just suck balls. FWD tranny's suck balls compared to RWD biased layouts for durability behind moderately powerful engines. Honda FWD tranny's suck ass too, and some Toyota's even have problems.

How many RWD layout cars (regardless of whether they are offered in AWD) that have longitudinal mounted engines and transmissions do you hear about having weak transmissions? Very very damn few. Allowing the engineers to put in a transmission behind an engine that is not cramped for space lets them use stronger parts, and a layout more conducive to proper cooling. How many old Crown Vics and Caprice Classics do you still see running around? Tons of them. The engines never die, and they are backed up with good transmissions that don't die either.

The last couple of cars my relatives have owned that have bitten the dust have all been FWD and have had tranny related problems as the main reason the car was retired. My new commuter car (wife's former car) is FWD but only has a 2.4L inline 4 twisting on it, so I should be OK. I just really don't like high torque loads through a FWD unit, they don't last as long as they should. What ever you want to say about low tech GM V6's they do make really good torque, and that seems to consistently kill FWD transmissions. Honda/Acura have the same problems (and probably a higher tranny failure rate) in their V6 powered FWD models. Toyota has had issues too with the new 3.5L V6, which is actually quite powerful unlike it's 3.3L and 3.0L predecessors.

Most FWD auto trannys have problems, regardless of the car. My friends 99 accord, he went through 2 trannys in 20kmiles. The T-56 is a tranny that can handle some power. Im not disagreeing with you there. But 600rwhp is about 700 at the flywheel, and on over 200 track passes, i have seen t-56s break under 400rwhp when used at the track often. The 3.8liter is a reliable ass motor alot of chevy 350s or 305s are. The point you made about having a reliable RWD tranny, i have broken the hell out of 4 rwd auto cars. All those cars were making more than stock horsepower however.

Most FWD auto trannys have problems, regardless of the car. My friends 99 accord, he went through 2 trannys in 20kmiles. The T-56 is a tranny that can handle some power. Im not disagreeing with you there. But 600rwhp is about 700 at the flywheel, and on over 200 track passes, i have seen t-56s break under 400rwhp when used at the track often. The 3.8liter is a reliable ass motor alot of chevy 350s or 305s are. The point you made about having a reliable RWD tranny, i have broken the hell out of 4 rwd auto cars. All those cars were making more than stock horsepower however.

In a high HP high torque application something is going to give. On your friend's car what does he have for rubber in the back? A really powerful motor and a strong clutch don't always need beefed up synchros and gears if the tires can break loose really easy. The strain is turned into incinerated tires.

Generally speaking autos don't do as well with increased power loads as a manual will. There are exceptions to this rule like the Allison 1000 behind the Duramax, but even that auto needs some work when the big numbers are going through it. Remember the enemy of any transmission is heat, and autos are more sensitive to it than manuals. Keep your auto cool, and keep the fluids changed and it will be durable even with some power increases. Big power increases will call for a build converter and other upgrades to the auto tranny though.

Buddy he was running high 9s low 10s, he had a built ford 9" with 4.10 rear end gears and MT Drag Radials, he could drop the clutch at 4000rpms and get the front tires to lift and grip and go. Those tires didnt spin too much

Well T-56's are tough man. With a good driver that knew how to shift cleanly and didn't grind the crap out of the gears I can see how a T-56 with an upgraded clutch could take that kind of use.

Old people will still drive slow, except they'll be able to mow down more people in large crowds. They should stop using horsepower and start using bodies, like katana's. This is a 15 body car. smoosh.

Now that would make for interesting commercials!:lol:

How fast does this car need to be going to make sure I kill Gypsy?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Would simply love to have this car......

It will be interesting to see which car has a better resale value. The IS-F or the 09 CTS-V

One of the 2 will def. be at the top of my wish list.

One about a year old with low miles so it's within the budget;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

why is it that the picture of the CTS-V looks like it has the old CTS-V mesh grille on it, which doesn't at all fit the front of the car. There are creases between the headlights and the grille, why is the grille not wider and taller, like the new CTS grille?

If they had just trimmed some depth out of the stock CTS grille, and backed it up with mesh, with the line details intact, and a smaller lower intake...

The New CTS is a better looking car than the old one in every respect, but the CTS-V seems like it is taking a big step backwards by looking at the front end.

The car will be a discussion piece, but hardly seems practically useable in any place that gets rain or snow. The non-V isn't quite sporty enough, and the -V is too powerful to be truly comfortable with (I don't want to be perrenially afraid of my car's handling and traction limits...)

The G8 looks more promising as a truly every-day sport sedan, but I guess we'll see.

Neither of them have the abilities of the Legacy's AWD, even if they do have 60-100% more power.

I've looked at the new legacys and I keep up with automotive news... nothing is making me want to sell my Legacy for a new car. I wanted my Legacy for so long before I got it, now I am really satisfied, and even 600hp V8 cadillacs aren't really turning my head.

Archived