LegacyGT.com

Crashed my Spec B

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In North Carolina the vegetation is quite thick covered by all kinds of other brush. Pitch dark. I need to go back by the scene, but part of me does not want to.

I am 35 and consider myself a safe driver with now only one real wreck under my belt. I never would have thought it would have been in my favorite car.

I have family in Lexington, so I'm on those roads as much as possible when I'm visiting - as there's nothing as fun to drive on anywhere around where I live.

At night though, I'm very very cautious. I nearly hit an elk in a rental car in Wyoming at 40 MPH, and the only reason I saw it was because I saw the headlights of an oncoming car blink at me as I was going around a curve - it caught my attention (the elk was blocking the light). Had there been no car for that, like there wasn't the previous 5 miles as well as the next 5 miles I don't know what would have happened.

So that experience pretty much frightened me into a grandma on anything but an interstate at night.

That truely sucks. Sorry to hear. But it is good that your ok.

As you've seen theirs a good demand on parts. If anything is left intact you may concider selling parts off your car. At least make some $$$ back.

Glad to hear you're okay. Hopefully daylight will reveal that the car can be made whole again, but roof damage is pretty tough. If the pillars are structurally sound, it might not get totalled, but we'll have to wait to see about that until your pictures get posted.

In regards to the whole insurance and driving things, yes, we as an online community have had a fair bit of crashes of late. However, remember that we're really only a small portion of the overall ownership of LGT's, OBXT's, FXT's and such. I'm willing to bet that a sizeable majority of owners never find their way here, especially those who leave their cars completely stock. And we have no real way of knowing what the insurance/accident records of those drivers are. Being a Honda enthusiast before my first Subie 5 years ago, I'm going to guess that far more accidents occur in Civics than LGT's as a percentage of that car on the road. Could be wrong, but...

Driving wise, yes, it's always a good thing to get your car to the track, or if you don't have any real performance driving experience (and I mean true experience, not driving like a maniac on some backroads - the kind of experience where you can EXCEED the limits of your car in a relatively safe environment) - do a HPDE (high performance driving experience) event or clinic. With an instructor. Don't let your ego drive you to shun real teaching, because it will only serve to make you a better driver in all situations. Even if you don't live near a track, make it a weekend trip sometime! I personally guarantee you'll have an awesome time!

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Glad to hear you're okay. Hopefully daylight will reveal that the car can be made whole again, but roof damage is pretty tough. If the pillars are structurally sound, it might not get totalled, but we'll have to wait to see about that until your pictures get posted.

In regards to the whole insurance and driving things, yes, we as an online community have had a fair bit of crashes of late. However, remember that we're really only a small portion of the overall ownership of LGT's, OBXT's, FXT's and such. I'm willing to bet that a sizeable majority of owners never find their way here, especially those who leave their cars completely stock. And we have no real way of knowing what the insurance/accident records of those drivers are. Being a Honda enthusiast before my first Subie 5 years ago, I'm going to guess that far more accidents occur in Civics than LGT's as a percentage of that car on the road. Could be wrong, but...

Driving wise, yes, it's always a good thing to get your car to the track, or if you don't have any real performance driving experience (and I mean true experience, not driving like a maniac on some backroads - the kind of experience where you can EXCEED the limits of your car in a relatively safe environment) - do a HPDE (high performance driving experience) event or clinic. With an instructor. Don't let your ego drive you to shun real teaching, because it will only serve to make you a better driver in all situations. Even if you don't live near a track, make it a weekend trip sometime! I personally guarantee you'll have an awesome time!

Exactly, Well Said! The first thing I have done with all my cars I have owned is to test the limits of the handling in safe environment and do a high speed panic brake test, so I know what is going to happen when the shit hits the fan for real.

if it elegantly went into the brush and vegetation w/o seriously slamming into something, I doubt it's totaled. I guess we'll know more when you post pics.

glad you're ok though.

I could not get there today unfortunatelly, but I receive a call from the estimator and he said it was about 12K damage. He is sending it to a "preferred shop" to see if his report is accurate. If it exceeds this it will be a total loss, if it is not, then they will repair it. I have mixed feelings about it.

I could not get there today unfortunatelly, but I receive a call from the estimator and he said it was about 12K damage. He is sending it to a "preferred shop" to see if his report is accurate. If it exceeds this it will be a total loss, if it is not, then they will repair it. I have mixed feelings about it.

IMO,,12k worth of damage=a bag of snakes when it's fixed:icon_sad:

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Glad you are OK tho. Time will help, but IMO, I think you may be better off not getting the car back. Have had 2 vehicles crashed and both of them were never the same again. But that is your choice to make... Best of luck on how everything works out.
If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

Never realized that the "B" in Spec B stood for Brush. Seriously though, that completely sucks, and I hope you can get another one if the car is totalled.

If it is totalled, the Spec B should command a VERY high salvage value, as evidenced by all the vultures, I mean, enthusiasts on this board. Depending on your ins. co., they may use CCC or NADA for assessing the market value of the car. CCC generally yields higher values, and will be different for the same car from one region of the country compared to another (i.e Subie value may be a bit higher in Vermont versus South Texas).

I am very curious to see what kind of salvage value comes back for this car. If the adjuster calls a salvor who knows anything about the Spec B, it's going to fetch a high price. If you want the salvage you have to buy it back from the ins. co. by paying them the high salvage bid, so obviously a high bid is to your disadvantage.

This explains why my ins. agent hesitated in providing coverage for me even though I have a spotless record and excellent credit. He called me and said the car fell into the "hot" category because of it's high horsepower and such. I'm like, it has about the same hp (technically) as a Honda Odyssey. But I guess I haven't seen the ass-end of any minivans sticking out the bushes lately! :)

yeah that wont be totalled. Dont ask me how i know :). I've been there too man, life will go on. Glad to hear you're alright. Shit does happen.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

my repair ended up costing 8k by the time it was all done...I was expecting that the car just wouldn't be right due to the driver's side suspension and axle getting replaced, but the car rides as good as it ever did...If the car comes back to you I hope your luck is as good as mine was.

If they total it, at least try to get the SpecB numbered badge and frame it so you'll have something to remember her by. Also, judging from the number of vultures....I mean, interested parties, you might be able to make some money in the end as long as it isn't too painful for you.

Glad you're OK. That's what is most important.

Also, don't give up hope. If they total it, there are still some '06 SpecB's out there, last I heard. Maybe the settlement combined with a sweet price from a dealership will have you back in the club!

Archived