LegacyGT.com

My Letter to Subaru...I'm Done!!

Out of the breather. The original diff leaked out of the breather as well. They replaced the breather on that one, and it still leaked. They put in this diff a few months ago and I just noticed it leaking last week.

Have you checked the oil in the diff? Is the differential overfilled with gear oil?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange that the gear oil would be pumped out through the breather, when the oil is at the proper level. One other possibility is that the oil is being overheated, and forced out the breather.

When your new differential was installed, did you also get a new breather?

Re; the coolant leak, have you tried the Coolant Conditioner to see if it stops the coolant leak?

.......she said they are putting a part inside the diff to stop the leak from the breather valve. She couldn't tell me exactly what it was, but she's getting info second hand through the tech from the tech rep.........

Sounds like some kind of baffle plate.

If that does not solve the problem, you might consider draining the diff and refilling with your choice of 75W-90. Maybe they are putting some oddball gear oil in there.

• 1 month later...

I feel for you. Fortunately for my wife and I, the local Subaru dealer has bent over backward to help us (not that we've had any major issues). We did have a problem with the stereo in our Outback after the warranty expired and I thought it would be easiest to go to SOA since we'd reported a similar issue while the car was under warranty. They basically told us to buzz off. I then took it to the dealership and they said "we'll handle it." They replaced the stereo and every trim piece that had to come off to remove the stereo...free of charge.

All that being said, I've had similar issues with both of my local Ford dealerships and finally threw in the towel. I traded both my Fords (one of which was only 7 months old and I took a "bath" to get rid of it) and will never own another (Ford Customer Care did try to help at first but as the problem continued they stopped assisting). Sadly, my new number one factor when considering a new car is what dealership it will come from.

run the car until it blows the heads from lack of coolant. run the diff until it fails from lack of lubrication. have it towed to the dealer and wait for the rep. pick a new car out and drive away.

That would be considered abuse and lack of maintenance. They would deny the warranty.

Has anyone here actually had a problem fixed on the first try?

This is the last Subaru I'll ever have. The Legacy GT is a great compromise of performance, luxury, and value, but I can't stand the lack of customer service.

Sure. Just about all the New England dealers are pretty good at service. It appears the quality of dealers outside the snow belt areas where Subarus have been popular for decades is a whole 'nuther thang.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I have read every word in this and I feel for you. Luckily (knocking on wood) I haven't had the major mechanical issues, but I have had the dealership issues and little issues that are driving me nuts. Right now I'm dealing with rust on my 05 in the engine bay. I took it to the dealer I now go to (an hour away instead of 5min) and they sent photos to SOA. SOA replied that it is NOT covered. The dealer is now trying to find out why.

Anyways, good luck. Is there a different dealer you haven't tried yet?

• 1 month later...

I am happy for those of you who have been able to get your ECU reflashed and the shutter problem removed.

I just came back from dealer (they sold me a car with only two of the 4 TPMS valves installed, then hit my car while moving another and had to keep it a week to fix the damage. The TPMS still does not function correctly!) and they said that they hooked up my ECU to the online system and there was no reflash due.

They stated that there is a reflash for the 2007 Manual LGT but not the Automatic LGT, which I own. Do not make fun, or say that driver of the Auto should not care. Some of us could not take the shifting needed to put on 20 to 30K per year in traffic.

I run this car at the track, both road and drag, and do not want to have this issue any further.

HAS ANYONE WITH A 2007 AUTO LGT RECEIVED A REFLASH?

HAS ANYONE CREATED A CASE NUMBER WITH SOA FOR THE 2007 AUTO LGT?

I am happy for those of you who have been able to get your ECU reflashed and the shutter problem removed.

I just came back from dealer (they sold me a car with only two of the 4 TPMS valves installed, then hit my car while moving another and had to keep it a week to fix the damage. The TPMS still does not function correctly!) and they said that they hooked up my ECU to the online system and there was no reflash due.

They stated that there is a reflash for the 2007 Manual LGT but not the Automatic LGT, which I own. Do not make fun, or say that driver of the Auto should not care. Some of us could not take the shifting needed to put on 20 to 30K per year in traffic.

I run this car at the track, both road and drag, and do not want to have this issue any further.

HAS ANYONE WITH A 2007 AUTO LGT RECEIVED A REFLASH?

HAS ANYONE CREATED A CASE NUMBER WITH SOA FOR THE 2007 AUTO LGT?

You and I my friend are going to be in it together for the long haul. I have a 2008 LGT Auto. I have written to SOA about this stutter issue. There are only updates for 5MT and 6MT Spec.b MY 07 and 08 (07 and 08 are essentially the same) THERE IS NO FLASH FOR AUTOS. I have a case number, and the car has been in the shop numerous times. Document everything. I am going as far as to try to lemon the vehicle. My new problem is stalling in the cold...

UPDATE ON MY 2007 (&2006) LGT AUTO:

Just came back from a different dealer, Subaru of Gwinnett, GA, and spoke to Neal O’Leary about the stutter/dip.

He knew all about the ongoing problem with the ECU programming and the stutter/dip.

He explained that due to emissions changes that effected the 2006 and 2007 models of the Legacy and STI, that the ECU programming was faulted. Subaru had to adjust to meet the emissions standards and therefore caused poor programming in the ECU creating the stutter/dip.

Subaru has not yet figured out how to meet the emissions standards while maintaining / restoring the “brochure” stated performance.

He also said, and I am not sure it is true, that “the automatic should be a faster car than the manual, in a straight out ¼ mile run; especially the 6-speed.?”

He had no hope insight for a Subaru provided fix.

He did say that COBB and another vendor (accutech or something similar) are creating ECU maps for the 2006/2007 LGT. The programming will use the SI-Drive button to provide three different levels of performance. Cool idea to use the SI-Drive button to control the aftermarket ECU programs. I=Quick, S=Shit, S#=HOLY SHIT.

Options:

1. Live with it and hope and wait for Subaru to make a fix.

2. Get and aftermarket ECU reflash and void your warrenty.

3. Try to get a LEMON LAW return approved.

I bought this car for the handling, speed, and sleeper body. I dragged raced it three times at the track. All three times I ran a 14.9 something, at 94.something MPH. This car is faster than that.

You cant compare 06 and 07 MY as they are different...different turbos, different maps, and I'm not sure if it matters, but 07+ is CAN BUS, 06 is not. COBB will have their AP out this month for CAN BUS LGT's and it wont "void" your warranty, you will just be denied if the aftermarket tuning is what ruined your engine.

The other vender ECUTek already has tuning out for the CAN BUS LGT's but I wouldnt get it if you paid me. ECUTek had a little "problem" with locking people out of their own ECU's. For instance, if you decided you wanted to go from ECUTek to COBB, you couldnt becuase ECUTek completely took over the ECU and locked your ass out.

As I have said in many other threads, you need to call SOA and complain. Get a case number. Take it back to the dealer and keep repeating the process everytime it happens. You have a warranty, use it. I think (hope rather) once SOA sees that they are paying for all these rental vehicles and other useless labor (total to date for me is over $350 worth of rentals) they will wake their asses up and completely rewrtie the god damn ECU programing.

This is the first I have heard that excuse or explanation.

Not sure if it is true either but it is definaely a possiblity and it makes sense.

They have had all sorts of new standards. The gov. does it every year.

Eventually we will all be driving green cars that don't use any gas while a country like china that is 100 times our size does nothing about the environment.

Just bugs me......

I was in the dealership this week.

I have to replace my all weather subaru floor mats every 8 months.

I have become quick friends with the parts guy. It's nice that they have had the same guy in there since the day I bought my vehicle. I'll drive past my local subaru dealer just to go back to where I bought my car because they've always been very helpful and friendly.

They give me a good discount ont he floor mats now too! :)

Its a good story. My first set of RED Spec B mats started to come apart after a few months. They replaced them at no charge with new mats. I then went and bought some all weather mats because I didn't want a snow day or rain to ruin the new mats. (Keeping them in perfect condition now)

Then the all weather mats will split at the right foot every 8 months.

They now discount them to me.

If it is the only thing wrong with the car I can live with it.

So back to the parts guy at subaru. He recently purchased a new 06 legacy...

he has already reflashed the ECU. He also told me last week that the dealership was in the process of signign papers to become the area's newest COBB dealer.

I have COBB AP, COBB UP-PIPE, COBB Down-Pipe, Borla Catback, Cobb adjsutable shifter, etc etc etc.....

Unless what goes wrong was caued by the mod itself you shoudl be ok.

It is a small danger...but even the subaru employees are doign the ECU...it is almost a must for anyone who cares about performance.

The fact that it fixes the stutter is even better.

Personally I never really noticed a problem with the car.

I didn't exactly wait very long before ripping it apart and changing out parts either.

Oh...and the reason why I didn't by the spec b from the dealer in my town....

they are a big over-sized auto mall...you know the kind of rap those guys get.

In addition they only had one spec b. I test drove it by "accdient." It was a new guy who was on his first day. I told him I wanted to drive that...and poitned at the car. He grabbed the keys. When we came back he was yelled at by another sbuaru employee.

I noticed the car had over 500 miles on it. It was dirty, parked in the middle of the lot, and had a kids toy in the back seat.

The other dealer 12 miles away had ONE spec b. 6 miles on the odometer. Mint condition, and stored inside their showroom.

Obviously never driven before. If they are both charging the same, and they are exactly the same car....which one are you going with... :)

UPDATE ON MY 2007 (&2006) LGT AUTO:

Just came back from a different dealer, Subaru of Gwinnett, GA, and spoke to Neal O’Leary about the stutter/dip.

He knew all about the ongoing problem with the ECU programming and the stutter/dip.

He explained that due to emissions changes that effected the 2006 and 2007 models of the Legacy and STI, that the ECU programming was faulted. Subaru had to adjust to meet the emissions standards and therefore caused poor programming in the ECU creating the stutter/dip.

Subaru has not yet figured out how to meet the emissions standards while maintaining / restoring the “brochure” stated performance.

He also said, and I am not sure it is true, that “the automatic should be a faster car than the manual, in a straight out ¼ mile run; especially the 6-speed.?”

He had no hope insight for a Subaru provided fix.

He did say that COBB and another vendor (accutech or something similar) are creating ECU maps for the 2006/2007 LGT. The programming will use the SI-Drive button to provide three different levels of performance. Cool idea to use the SI-Drive button to control the aftermarket ECU programs. I=Quick, S=Shit, S#=HOLY SHIT.

Options:

1. Live with it and hope and wait for Subaru to make a fix.

2. Get and aftermarket ECU reflash and void your warrenty.

3. Try to get a LEMON LAW return approved.

I bought this car for the handling, speed, and sleeper body. I dragged raced it three times at the track. All three times I ran a 14.9 something, at 94.something MPH. This car is faster than that.

I suggest that anyone who wants to try to get this fixed join me in writing a "Letter to the Preseident" of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/

I have taken this path before with issues, they will respond. I work for a Fortune 500 and when a "Letter to the President" comes in, we get a call from the VP and must resolve and respond to the president's office within 48 hours. This is a common practice at most major companies.

Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd.

Subaru Building,

President & CEO Ikuo Mori

1-7-2 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-8316

.......Basically, they pulled the diff cover to make sure nothing was blocking the breather. They reinstalled the cover, filled the diff back up, and said the problem was caused by a combination of environmental and type of driving. It hasn't leaked since, but the temps have dropped in Vegas and based on what the service rep told me, I think this underfilled the diff as a preventive mesure. He said just a little below the bottom of the fill hole......

If the car does not sit level on their lift (rear higher than the front), then it is possible they are overfilling the differential when they fill to the hole.

I have logged over 1,500,000 miles in Subarus and the only unscheduled maintenance I have ever had was one bad wheel bearing and a engine management relay. My secret: I have never, e-v-e-r taken my car to a dealer for any service of any kind. Subarus are great cars if you keep them away from the dealers' service departments.

• 4 weeks later...
I have logged over 1,500,000 miles in Subarus and the only unscheduled maintenance I have ever had was one bad wheel bearing and a engine management relay. My secret: I have never, e-v-e-r taken my car to a dealer for any service of any kind. Subarus are great cars if you keep them away from the dealers' service departments.

ha ha.. I have only had one Subaru for a couple years now, and in my short ownership with visits to 3 different Subaru dealers, I would completely agree.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I've had my legacy gt since June of 2006.......

I F*****IN LOVE IT

honestly, i think that wherever most of these people live just have really bad dealerships and service stations.....

I had 1 recall on my Scubby, and it was the relay switch for the fan, where the fan would stay on while the car`was on, and stay off when the car`was off......which in fact was wsupposed to work the other way around.......

well all i can say is that my dealership(new york) fixed it

the only problem I ever had was because I F***ED up with my stupid driving style when I got my car`and i messed up the pressure plate on my clutch because of stupid antics when i first got it(happened arond 18,000 miles(i know stupid,,,,,trust me i felt it)

but otherwise, almost 3 years in and i've never had any problems

o by the way, every state in the US has the lemon law, in 1 way/form or another, it's a law issued by the giverment i beleve

I've Crashed My ROFLChopper into a LOLCanOhttp://legacygt.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16939&dateline=1230531251

• 1 year later...
I love my Subaru. The dealer I go to has been wonderful also. Sommers Subaru in Mequon, WI

Thats good to hear that they are good. I go to school in Milwaukee and havent found a dealer that will take the time to replace my seat belts. carr subaru in portland, or (my home) will do it but i dont know when my car will be back there. i have been to the subi dealer in racine and in milwaukee. both didnt even take time to look.

• 1 month later...
My airbag light comes on and off and I had dealer check it out. They said I have to replace my map lite assembly and its not cover under my gold plus plan warranty I bought from Subaru. I want to email Subaru and know why this isnt covered under warranty. Does anybody know email address to warranty center where I can get in contact with them?

Archived