LegacyGT.com

Why The Re92's Are A Great Tire!!!

cwmiller

My point is the yaris is an econo box with around 100 hp, and a base sticker or around $12k. The tires they put on just need to be made of rubber that are round. Then comes our subaru that is a $30K car, that has a turbo motor, and is marketed as a sports sedan, and suppose to be performance oriented. that is my point, yet we get yaris tires in just a different size. thats my point!

My GF went to a Firestone shop to inquire about new tires for her car (BMW 325 iX), and they had three suggestions in different price ranges. The top-of-the-line option was RE92s.

I thought y'all would get a laugh out of that.

I wouldn't blame Subaru if they were looking to save money but they're not cheap at all, even assuming Subaru gets them way way under retail prices. What do you think Subaru pays for one, $75?

I am going to run mine on factory rims for winter tires. I am thinking about having them siped...anybody done that?

I would suggest getting some dedicated winters instead. I have been through one winter with them and I found that I enjoyed driving much more with dedicated winters. I ended up putting the RE92's onto my summer rims, probably get 1 more season out of them after this year.

Mccorry, I dont agree; that tire has plenty of siping. It's the rubber compound which is sub-par. It's tough to make even a decent all season, which the RE 92 is, but the rubber simply lacks the low temperature grip that you need - it's clearly struggling in the wet and dry when it's near freezing. On ice, no grip whatever - this has nothing to do with siping.

The safest winter conditions for the RE-92 were, in fact, snowy conditions, where the tire has something to dig into.

Not true. New... yes... they look like they have plenty of siping.

But drive them for 10K miles and you'll notice that 60% of the factory siping only goes into the treadblock a few mills. Once you wear that much off the tread, it turns into a block pattern.

That is a fact.

But that has nothing to do with the performance of the tire in general. It simply gets worse over time.

I rode mine for 12k and all of the original siping was intact.

Archived