LegacyGT.com

Oh snap! Popped my claybar cherry!

You can buy sealer or sealer/glaze at any good parts outfit, just ask the staff and follow the directions on the bottle. I went Maguire's and it came out awesome, looks a lot better than when I bought it.

P.S. You lube as you go (small areas), go to OCDetails website for instructions.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey all, I'm just reading up on this. As far as I can tell, wash with a dish soap to remove gunk, then lube car, then clay, then wash again with regular wash, then wax, then use a sealant? OC's website mentioned a paint sealer (wax?) and a polish? Is this correct? Would someone who is pleased with their results please refer a brand name. I am partial to Meguiar's. Tanks for your help! I want my RBP sedan to look beautimus again now that the winter is through!

no ... do not wax prior to using sealant. it will prevent the sealant from bonding with your paint. You want the paint to be very clean prior to applying sealant.

let the sealant cure a day before either applying another layer of sealant, or applying a coat of wax.

So sealer/glaze is an all in one? I'm new to this and want to do it right. If I have scratches (surface I think) I'd do that after the first wash before the clay right?

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

huh?

No ... if you're going to polish the car, it goes in this order:

1. Wash/strip all waxes, etc

2. Clay

3. Wash

4. Polish

5. Wash/cleanse/condition paint

6. Seal

7. Apply final coat of wax if desired

Sealer/glaze can be synonymous. Or glaze can be wax. I've heard both sealant and wax referred to as glaze.

If you're not going to polish the car, you can skip that step. If you're not going to polish OR clay the car, then you can skp both of those steps.

Thanks. Rubbing with a towel just doesn't cut it and I am leary of trying my vast array of solvents I have in the garage. I'll try Wal-Mart as our Targets don't have squat for automotive sections anymore (just travel mugs and steering wheel covers).

These are the ones you want to look for. They rock.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Black-Magic-Interior-Detailing-Brushes/dp/B000GKB0T4]http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000GKB0T4.01-A1T0VEFK4F7RX4._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA280_.jpg[/ame]

That one is good because the tip on the chisel is firm and stubby. Perfect for getting around emblems and seams. Another one that works well is this one:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-Exterior-Detail-Brush/dp/B000EH58ZG/ref=sr_1_1/104-6008561-0244769?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1177369440&sr=1-1]http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/21ZDPH73EBL._AA280_.jpg[/ame]

The chisel is thinner and works better sometimes. You can wrap a towel around it and slide it down the seem of the hood and fender without a problem. I also like using that one for cleaning crumbs out of seams on the inside of the car. Like that area around the shift boot that always gets crusty looking. You can never have too many detailing tools. :) The vent brushes on that first set are very helpful though. If you have to choose between one or the other, get the red ones. It will do the trick.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

You must be kidding me. What do I find on my hood today? A footprint! From a freaking SHOE!

I know that it happened in my parking garage at the apartment. No damage to speak of, but I'm wondering, do I even make note of it, or do I just let it go. It pisses me off that I'm paying $45 a month to protect my car in the garage and some jackass has the audacity to put a footprint on my hood after I spent a couple days detailing. Which is WHY it happened I'm sure, since some ass probably saw me working hard on it and thought it would be funny. But the other thing I'm concerned about is that maybe it was some idiot who went to the garage to smoke and simply saw my hood as a convenient place to rest his foot (my spot is near the door).

So, thoughts? Do I post a note about please being respectful of my vehicle, or do I just forget about it and keep an eye on things?

I think I'll just keep an eye and see if it ever happens again. Could have been a one time deal. If I see it again, then what is the next course of action?

If I had SEEN someone do that, I would have sucker punched the tool.

this fits in with everything else here, so i will ask here!

Winter just ended here, so it was obviously car washing time. Now winter has lots of crap associated with it, and this left lots of crap on the car. Other than taking a clay bar to the whole car, is there some better way to get rid of this stuff? Or is it just one of those tough it out an do it things?

Secondly, sealing/glazing necessary? what does it do exactly and should i be doing it - as up until now i didn't know it existed.

The clay bar is supposed to be used on the whole car. Claying just the dirty parts of your car would be like brushing just the dirty parts of your teeth. Assume that the entire car needs to be clayed if any one part of it does. That assumption will usually be correct. ;)

Is sealing/glazing/waxing necessary? There are a lot of 5 year old cars out there with peeling clear coats and oxidation thicker than my thumb that would say that it isn't necessary. Then there are 15 year old cars with shiney factory paint that would disagree emphatically. The question really is, which group do you want to be included in?

The bottom line is to protect the paint from UV damage and environmental damage. Waxes can do that, but they don't do it very well and they don't last very long. Sealants will last two or three times as long as a wax will and they often look better. So it is up to you on what you want to do. My recomendation is to always have something on the car protecting the paint. I don't care what you use. If you want to wax your car every month, then go for it. If you want to wax it once a quarter, then you should probably go for a sealant so that the protection stays on there.

OCDETAILS BLOG

this fits in with everything else here, so i will ask here!

Winter just ended here, so it was obviously car washing time. Now winter has lots of crap associated with it, and this left lots of crap on the car. Other than taking a clay bar to the whole car, is there some better way to get rid of this stuff? Or is it just one of those tough it out an do it things?

Secondly, sealing/glazing necessary? what does it do exactly and should i be doing it - as up until now i didn't know it existed.

I found claying to be very, very easy. You're not really rubbing very hard. It just takes some time. There's really no "tough it out" to it. I found it to be easier than applying a wax or sealant. You just clay an area and move on. Do a few panels then take a little break. It goes pretty quick really.

I enjoy detailing at any level, so I guess it may depend on the person. There's something about the "hands on" of it that's relaxing to me. You get awesome results as a reward. I've gotten more compliments on how shiny my car is since claying last week than I've ever had with any car I've owned. I've always been a "clean car" type guy, but just never had the know how.

BTW, thanks OCDetails! I've read your site top to bottom and learned a LOT. :)

OCD (or others)...quick question.

After washing, claying, washing and polishing (I use Meguiars # 2 - I think , 2 out of 10 in the scale, lighter than the DACP 83 you recommend) can I apply NXT sealant immediately after the polish with no other step in between? If not, what should I do. thanks.

EDIT: I think this is the polish I got, but in "regular" size: http://www.meguiars.com/estore/products/product_M0901.jpg

OCD...quick question.

After washing, claying, washing and polishing (I use Meguiars # 2 - I think , 2 out of 10 in the scale, ligher than the DACP 83 you recommend) can I apply NXT sealant immediately after the polish with no other step in between? thanks.

You should really apply a paint conditioner to help the sealant bond with the paint. You should at least give it a wash to clean whatever residue and fillers are left over from the polish and THEN apply sealant. :)

^^ Which paint conditioner? And can you explain what a conditioner is a little more? I don't recall seeing that in OCD's website, but I may have missed it. thanks.

EDIT: went to meguiars.com and looked aorund in the forums. I did not see mention of a step in between the polish and the wax or sealant. Here is the link: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2965

thanks

Sorry, not a paint conditioner, a paint cleaner.

I haven't used it personally (but will in the future).

Several people here like the Klasses AIO (All In One) paint cleaner.

Just gets all the oils, greases, whatever out of the paint.

OC and others have mentioned using Paint Cleaner around here several times. I'm sure digging around this forum will turn up more posts. :)

The clay bar is supposed to be used on the whole car. Claying just the dirty parts of your car would be like brushing just the dirty parts of your teeth. Assume that the entire car needs to be clayed if any one part of it does. That assumption will usually be correct. ;)

Is sealing/glazing/waxing necessary? There are a lot of 5 year old cars out there with peeling clear coats and oxidation thicker than my thumb that would say that it isn't necessary. Then there are 15 year old cars with shiney factory paint that would disagree emphatically. The question really is, which group do you want to be included in?

The bottom line is to protect the paint from UV damage and environmental damage. Waxes can do that, but they don't do it very well and they don't last very long. Sealants will last two or three times as long as a wax will and they often look better. So it is up to you on what you want to do. My recomendation is to always have something on the car protecting the paint. I don't care what you use. If you want to wax your car every month, then go for it. If you want to wax it once a quarter, then you should probably go for a sealant so that the protection stays on there.

Ya definitely only wax the car like 3 times a year. Is there anything to this sealing business or is it just get the stuff, get a rag and rub on? nice and easy? Recommendations for product? all the stuff i have now is meguires(sp?), obviously their sealant would be a good choice too?

I never clayed the whole car before because it never needed it. We have just now made it out of the cars fist winter, so it's the first time it's ever been apparent it needed it. it took me probably 30-45 mins and i am pretty sure i missed a few spots, i didn't really plan on doing all of it in one go, but i got a little carried away.

^Seeing as you like Meguiars...Look for Meguiars #20 or #21 polymer sealants. #21 is newer and more recent in their line up. Applied pretty much the same way as wax, just read the bottle.

^Seeing as you like Meguiars...Look for Meguiars #20 or #21 polymer sealants. #21 is newer and more recent in their line up. Applied pretty much the same way as wax, just read the bottle.

i'll take a peak next time i am out. Thanks.

Ya definitely only wax the car like 3 times a year. Is there anything to this sealing business or is it just get the stuff, get a rag and rub on? nice and easy? Recommendations for product? all the stuff i have now is meguires(sp?), obviously their sealant would be a good choice too?

That is kind of a long answer. Look further down on the forum for the 'why are you still waxing your car' thread and that should answer your questions. :) It is basically just like applying wax. But don't use a rag. Get a foam applicator and do it right. The Legacy paint is incredibly soft and you are going to scratch the hell out of it if you don't watch it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

That is kind of a long answer. Look further down on the forum for the 'why are you still waxing your car' thread and that should answer your questions. :) It is basically just like applying wax. But don't use a rag. Get a foam applicator and do it right. The Legacy paint is incredibly soft and you are going to scratch the hell out of it if you don't watch it.

rag for wax hey? i have a foam applicator, i guess i'll pick another one up when i go and get some of this sealant. I'll check out that thread, thanks for the advice.

Yes our paint is soft and it's a pain in the ass, it looks fantastic but it's just so damn sensitive.

[edit] i'm going to sneak a question in here, so the sealant is #21, what is NXT? i did a search on their site (meguiars) and didn't see what everyone is referring to(saw a spray wax, some cleaners and some car wash?..is it the car wash?).The #21 doesn't need a 'pre-sealer' thats built into it correct?

Linky --> http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-liquid-car-waxes/Synthetic-Sealant

Its just as OCD says, rub it on (foam pad), let haze a little, wipe off (microfiber). Done. No pre-sealers.

NXT is very similar to #21 in fact they could be called twin products. NXT is more of a blend with Carnaubu while #21 is a pure sealant. #21 is slightly more durable on a daily driver.

#20 and #21 are going to be tough to find off the shelf. Check around at auto paint supply shops. Many of them are Meguiar's and 3M distributors. They will be able to get you what you need. :) I haven't used #21 yet, but I love #20 for its durability. It is fantastic stuff. You just have to go easy on it because if you use too much then it is a real pain in the ass to buff off. It can stain if you don't get it all too, so be cautious if you are applying it on a white car. It can be hard to see when it comes time to buff it off.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived