LegacyGT.com

Oh snap! Popped my claybar cherry!

So, I finally broke out the claybar tonight. Good god. I my car must have hated me before this! I don't think it's supposed to sound like that when you're claying! :(

But, I can't believe the difference it makes. Wow. There are parts of the car that were (still are - didn't finish tonight - will pick up again tomorrow) so rough ... I think this piece of clay will be instantly relegated to wheels after this.

One of my neighbors was walking to his apartment and commented "I hope you treat your girlfriend this good" and I really wanted to say "You mean neglect her body for two years and then lube her up and rub her down?" I don't think he would have got it. :lol:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bravo! Pretty amazing how bad it can get, eh? I love the way Meguiar's is marketing their clay now with the box that has a rough spot and a smooth spot on it. When I try to explain clay to someone I find that it is just easier to show them and let them feel for themselves. Cars don't feel that smooth when they roll out of the factory. If you want to make a difference in your paint then I'd say that claying it is probably one of the most impactful ways to do it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

no pics ... i'm not even done! :lol:

Not to mention my digital camera bit the dust two weeks ago. Freaking sensor died.

Yes, the paint was rough in parts from the factory. I remember the first time I really really washed it and spot washed the whole car with vinegar to remove hard water spots (You might remember that, OC!) I found a really nasty patch of IFO on the rear divers side quarter panel kind of near the tail light. Finally got that out today.

I also showed two people in my building the clay since they asked what I was doing and they both seemed impressed by the difference it makes.

The lower door panels are the worst. Just amazing how rough those are ... and the areas just behind the wheels. It looks like a lot of brake dust has built up around there.

I DID get in on the PC deal ... picked one up for $47.60 from Lowes! :woot:

So I have the PC, pads, PB SSR1 and SSR2, Wolfgang ... everything OC told me I needed (I still hate you!) :lol:

no pics ... i'm not even done! :lol:

Not to mention my digital camera bit the dust two weeks ago. Freaking sensor died.

Dude there is a recall on the sensors. They will fix it for free. What type of camera is it?

And yes claying is the step with the most wow factor when it comes to the way the paint feels to the touch.

Dude there is a recall on the sensors. They will fix it for free. What type of camera is it?

And yes claying is the step with the most wow factor when it comes to the way the paint feels to the touch.

I heard about the sensor recall, but haven't found anything that specifically points to my camera being covered.

It's a Nikon Coolpix 5400

Where did you see this info so I can see if it's covered?

Ask and you shall receive. I've had a JVC camcorder and a Canon digi cam fixed because of the CCD. Aparently Sony sent out a bunch of bad CCD's to about 10 different manufacturers :eek:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=13688&p_created=1127751253&p_sid=KIl19Bzi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yMDAmcF9wcm9kcz0xLDUwJnBfY2F0cz1_YW55fiZwX3B2PTIuNTAmcF9jdj0xLn5hbnl_JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

From the Nikon website.....

"It has come to our attention that in a limited number of COOLPIX 3100, 3500, 4500, 5000, 5400, 5700 and SQ digital cameras, an electronic component may, in some instances, fail affecting your camera's performance and/or operability.

While only a limited number of COOLPIX 3100, 3500, 4500, 5000, 5400, 5700 and SQ digital cameras are affected by this advisory, if your camera presents symptoms that can include (1) images with a strong color tint, (2) images that are totally black and/or (3) images with visible defects, Nikon will, upon confirmation that the problem is associated to this Service Advisory, service your camera free of charge.

To obtain complimentary service for cameras affected by this advisory, please click the link below to download and print the Service Return Form. The Service Return Form provides detailed return instructions.

The Frequently Asked Questions button at the bottom of this page offers more information about this advisory and, should you have more questions, also provides information about how to contact Nikon.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may experience."

You ROCK!!!

Ask and you shall receive. I've had a JVC camcorder and a Canon digi cam fixed because of the CCD. Aparently Sony sent out a bunch of bad CCD's to about 10 different manufacturers :eek:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=13688&p_created=1127751253&p_sid=KIl19Bzi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yMDAmcF9wcm9kcz0xLDUwJnBfY2F0cz1_YW55fiZwX3B2PTIuNTAmcF9jdj0xLn5hbnl_JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

From the Nikon website.....

"It has come to our attention that in a limited number of COOLPIX 3100, 3500, 4500, 5000, 5400, 5700 and SQ digital cameras, an electronic component may, in some instances, fail affecting your camera's performance and/or operability.

While only a limited number of COOLPIX 3100, 3500, 4500, 5000, 5400, 5700 and SQ digital cameras are affected by this advisory, if your camera presents symptoms that can include (1) images with a strong color tint, (2) images that are totally black and/or (3) images with visible defects, Nikon will, upon confirmation that the problem is associated to this Service Advisory, service your camera free of charge.

To obtain complimentary service for cameras affected by this advisory, please click the link below to download and print the Service Return Form. The Service Return Form provides detailed return instructions.

The Frequently Asked Questions button at the bottom of this page offers more information about this advisory and, should you have more questions, also provides information about how to contact Nikon.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may experience."

hahaha!!!!

Using the PC now ... My neighbors all think I'm nuts! :D

It took a little while to get used to, but I think I have the hang of the PC now.

The roof is going to be hard to get well ... hmm.

But the fenders and hood are starting to look GREAT!

I popped by clay cherry yesterday too. All I can say is WOW. If you have not done this yet... WHAT are you waiting for?!?!? DOOOO IIIIT!

Took me about 5/6 hours start to finish...by hand.

Washed with Dawn to strip previous gunk from the car.

Clayed.. Nerve racking experience on the first panel. I could swear there were going to be scratches etc. by the sound and feel. Esp. on the lower panels and on the rear end. But the level of clean you get from this is beyond what I imagined. There was LOADS of tar, gunk, etc. on my clay. Had to reform the clay after each area in a couple instances because there was sooo much shit on there.

One coat of Wolfgang sealant.

Viola..! By far the cleanest I've ever had any car. The only downside is that it's only getting dirtier from here. ;)

RBP in the sun is an amazing color. Looks like a sapphire.

http://lh6.google.com/image/gmoreschi/RipdJC3nk0I/AAAAAAAAAUc/c_yO1P-k2hY/s800/DSC02424.JPG

http://lh6.google.com/image/gmoreschi/RipdNC3nk1I/AAAAAAAAAUk/timDfadjrsY/s800/DSC02431.JPG

http://lh6.google.com/image/gmoreschi/RipdSC3nk2I/AAAAAAAAAUs/aOVKs88BKoU/s800/DSC02433.JPG

The "wash car" ste[ should be replaced with "remove wax".

I use this...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-7240-California-Gold-System/dp/B0002U2V1Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-3904178-1664601?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1177212245&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Mothers 7240 California Gold Clay Bar System: Automotive[/ame]

Comes with everything you need. I buy it when I need a filler for free shipping from Amazon.

OC, if you're still around...what is the best way to get clay off the edge of a clear bra? Yeah, I know, don't get it on there in the first place, but no matter how careful I am, I always wind up with some clay residue on the edge of my clear bra. Thanks in advance.
It is still ugly.

Is there a How-to thread for claying? I've never done it before, but god does my car look terrible because of it...

It really is very simple. There's plenty of tutorials on it out there so I won't explain, but you'll laugh when you do it for the first time because it's just that easy. I was a bit nervous at first. Once you get over the anxiety of the sound/feel the clay makes on the really dirty parts and realize that it isn't doing any damage it gets easier and faster.

OCDetails has a good section about it on his website.

OC, if you're still around...what is the best way to get clay off the edge of a clear bra? Yeah, I know, don't get it on there in the first place, but no matter how careful I am, I always wind up with some clay residue on the edge of my clear bra. Thanks in advance.

I use some QD and a rubber chisel shapped tool that I picked up somewhere. You can get them at Target and places like that. There is a set that is super handy that has all sorts of brushes and vent cleaning ends on them. I can't remember who makes them, but I'm sure you'll see them if you go to Walmart and take a look. Anyway, that is what I use to get stuff off the edge of clear bras and out of seams and out of emblems. Very cool tools.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I use some QD and a rubber chisel shapped tool that I picked up somewhere. You can get them at Target and places like that. There is a set that is super handy that has all sorts of brushes and vent cleaning ends on them. I can't remember who makes them, but I'm sure you'll see them if you go to Walmart and take a look. Anyway, that is what I use to get stuff off the edge of clear bras and out of seams and out of emblems. Very cool tools.

Thanks. Rubbing with a towel just doesn't cut it and I am leary of trying my vast array of solvents I have in the garage. I'll try Wal-Mart as our Targets don't have squat for automotive sections anymore (just travel mugs and steering wheel covers).

It is still ugly.

Well, after seeing this thread I took the plung and just spent the last 2 hours barin' and shinin' her up. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!

I had never clay barred (rarely even waxed either) and the bar just slid across with ease there were a couple of rough spots but 95% of the car didn't make any noise, is that normal or is it possible to overlubricate? I mean it was either smooth sailing or the clay caught, there was no median friction. TIA.

Hey all, I'm just reading up on this. As far as I can tell, wash with a dish soap to remove gunk, then lube car, then clay, then wash again with regular wash, then wax, then use a sealant? OC's website mentioned a paint sealer (wax?) and a polish? Is this correct? Would someone who is pleased with their results please refer a brand name. I am partial to Meguiar's. Tanks for your help! I want my RBP sedan to look beautimus again now that the winter is through!

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

Archived