LegacyGT.com

Subaru new fuel economy ratings: 17/23

auto 2.5L turbo or auto H6 Legacy is down to 17/23 rating according to EPA.

In comparision:

Camry V6 auto: 19/28

Accord V6 auto: 18/26

Mazda6 V6 auto: 17/25

Newest engine getting the best mileage here, nevermind the AWD issue. With that said, 17/23 looks bad to window shoppers, especially in comparision to the much larger on the inside Camry/Accord. Direct injection can't come soon enough...

forester: 20/25

crv: 19/26

Rav4 (4cyl): 20/25

Problem with this comparision is that the competition is much bigger, yet fuel economy is the same.

Worst off is gonna be the new impreza...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EPA..........:rolleyes:

Let them use mine as a example, I just will not let them know that boost is under 5psi while I'm breaking the new turbo in......

just over 30mpg highway:):)

Going for 450miles on a tankful

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

That's the idea, to get them more accurate as to what people are really getting. Still, seeing 17/23 on the side of a Subaru is gonna hurt. Worst is the new Impreza, estimated to be 20/25. Even with roughly a 10% improvement if that's possible on the tweaked 2008 motor, that's still only 22/28. Check out the competition:

25/36 for the Civic

23/31 Mazda3

26/35 Corolla

25/31 Matrix

23/27 Caliber

22/29 Cobalt

23/31 Focus

For somebody shopping in the economy car market where fuel economy is a bigger factor, the revised bread and butter Impreza is going to be hurting... Wonder if Subaru needs to bring back a subcompact back to the market.

Along with that, Subaru had better be bending over for some loving from Toyota and ask for direct injection technology now.

The problem is the fact that consumers actually care about the figures.........

Gas mileage is so far down on the list of priorities for myself & my extended family it is not even a factor.

Not even if gas was 4.00 a gallon

Safety & Fun top the list & always will........

BTW I cummute every day over 50 miles round trip so it is not as though I work right around the corner.....

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

That's the idea, to get them more accurate as to what people are really getting. Still, seeing 17/23 on the side of a Subaru is gonna hurt. Worst is the new Impreza, estimated to be 20/25. Even with roughly a 10% improvement if that's possible on the tweaked 2008 motor, that's still only 22/28. Check out the competition:

25/36 for the Civic

23/31 Mazda3

26/35 Corolla

25/31 Matrix

23/27 Caliber

22/29 Cobalt

23/31 Focus

For somebody shopping in the economy car market where fuel economy is a bigger factor, the revised bread and butter Impreza is going to be hurting... Wonder if Subaru needs to bring back a subcompact back to the market.

Along with that, Subaru had better be bending over for some loving from Toyota and ask for direct injection technology now.

It is mportant to note that none of those cars listed is AWD. That is where the mileage penalty occurs.

Oh I could care less, just Subaru with their feel-good environmental image is going to take a hit hopefully and make them wake-up from their slacking.

AWD. Are you also in favour of Subie moving to FWD? Weight savings and drivetrain efficiencies to be gained by that.

Explain:

forester: 20/25

crv: 19/26

Rav4 (4cyl): 20/25

When vehicles that weigh 300 pounds more and offer inches more of interior room for passengers in almost all areas yet return the same fuel economy, something is wrong with your offering.

Subaru needs to look long and hard at their 2.5L and get some improvements done already.

Are you refering to a non-turbo Forester? I believe the turbo version has a smaller turbo than the LGT. The CRV isn't a full time AWD vehicle from what I understand and neither is the Rav4 and neither of them offer the same power.

If you want good power and full time AWD, you're going to have to pay for it. I bet we'll begin seeing FWD vehicles from Subaru in the not too distant future.

I bet we'll begin seeing FWD vehicles from Subaru in the not too distant future.

I seriously doubt that. That would be contrary to the whole niche they have. They're not going to abandon their loyalists.

Go Cardinals!

4AT from Subaru really isn't really a full-time vehicle either, at least in NA form.

If you want to compare turbo Forester and V6 RAV4 2008 figures:

Forester XT auto: 18/23

Rav4 V6 AWD: 19/26

RAV4 versus Forester

Passenger Volume (cu. ft.) 108.20 91.50

Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3675 3360

Wheelbase (in.) 104.70 99.40

Width (in.) 71.50 68.30

As far as interior goes, the only thing the Forester has more of is front legroom:

Front Headroom (in.) 40.80 39.10

Rear Headroom (in.) 39.70 37.00

Front Legroom (in.) 41.80 43.60

Rear Legroom (in.) 38.30 33.70

Front Shoulder Room (in.) 57.10 53.50

Rear Shoulder Room (in.) 55.30 53.60

Front Hip Room (in.) 53.80 51.60

Rear Hip Room (in.) 52.40 51.60

The RAV4 is obviously a larger, heavier and more powerful vehicle. So why is it able to get better fuel economy numbers?

Ive said it before, but Ill say it again. I disgree with the new testing procedures. I rarely accelerate to 80 mph and rarely use my A/C. So why are we testing that way? The highway test should go up to 70 MPH in my oppinion.

As far as accuracy, the old hwy est. for my car is 27 mpg, the new 24 mpg, I reality I get btw. 30 and 32 depending on how fast Im going. I typically cruise at 75 mph

If Subaru is worried about their fuel economy figures, they need to follow suit with 6 speed MT and AT in addition to direct injection. And they need to do it right. Adding the STi 6 speed isnt the answer. It really needs to be geared so that 6th is an overdrive. My dad's 330xi is done that way and it gets 28 mpg hwy.

Try comparing to other performance sedans and wagons, not utilitiy mobiles for the rest of the herd.

The other cars I was cross shopping were the Audi S4 Avant and Volvo V70R, both of which are known to be much worse in real world mileage. S4 folks seem to have difficulty breaking 20 on the highway. I usually get mid-high 20s. So I went with the fuel efficient choice.

It doesn't make sense to compare a car with sporting intentions, a turbo, and AWD to a FWD (or AWD in the case of a CRV/RAV4) appliance.

Archived