LegacyGT.com

Subaru new fuel economy ratings: 17/23

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would still like to see the boxer 2 liter diesel mated to a 6 speed Mt for the best awd mileage subaru car/hatch/wagon. ULSD is actually 10-15 cents cheaper than low octane gas around PDX. Subaru could cleanup on sales if they would beat vw-mb-bmw and now nissan to the market if it meets t2b5 us emissions. My wife definately likes the consistant 42mpg in her vw jetta tdi auto while putting on 25k miles a year. I has really payed off parking the SUV unless really needed. But we really need a AWD diesel for mountain trips.

Jim

auto 2.5L turbo or auto H6 Legacy is down to 17/23 rating according to EPA.
Those numbers in the orignial post came from feeding the 2007 LGT 5EAT's fuel economy numbers (19/25) into EPA's Fuel Economy Calculator, which converts old fuel economy numbers to 2008 fuel economy standards numbers. That calculation presumes FHI decided to use the 2007 LGT ECU calibrations, unchanged, in the 2008 LGT. I suspect that's a bad assumption.

That's the idea, to get them more accurate as to what people are really getting. Still, seeing 17/23 on the side of a Subaru is gonna hurt. Worst is the new Impreza, estimated to be 20/25. Even with roughly a 10% improvement if that's possible on the tweaked 2008 motor, that's still only 22/28. Check out the competition:

25/36 for the Civic

23/31 Mazda3

26/35 Corolla

25/31 Matrix

23/27 Caliber

22/29 Cobalt

23/31 Focus

For somebody shopping in the economy car market where fuel economy is a bigger factor, the revised bread and butter Impreza is going to be hurting... Wonder if Subaru needs to bring back a subcompact back to the market.

Along with that, Subaru had better be bending over for some loving from Toyota and ask for direct injection technology now.

You're kidding, right? I had a Focus and that dog couldn't break into the high 20's to save it's life and that's driving like grandma.

I disagree. It is compared to them because Subaru has no other car that would fit. In reality, the Legacy compares with A4s, Altimas, Fusions. So called Sports sedans. The Legacy is smaller than Camry or Accord. In its day, I would compare a Loyale to a Camry, but not Legacy being that the Legacy has always possesed that element of sport to it. It had a 2.2L engine when others offered only 2.0Ls, and standard features like ABS, power windows, etc. companies considered them more of options.

Would you compare an Altima to an Accord? I wouldnt. I would compare the Maxima. Sports sedans are their own breed. Even the 4 cylinder variants. Same with the Impreza. People compare it with the Civic, because thats where it should fit. A base model Civic has 50 less hp than a Impreza 2.5i.

Well, now the Altima IS compared to an accord. The maxima isn't compared to anything from Honda I don't think and not the Camry, but the avalon.

You're right that the legacy doesn't quite fit and is compared merely because of soa's lineup, but they're compared, so there are the numbers that consumers read about.

Presently I also own a 04 Crv- MPG is no way near what you quoted up there- that drinks more gas than a 99 accord v6 my other car, and I drove a 06 civic as a loaner car going 80 @ 22mile distance the tank was half empty. These type of feul efficent cars are made to drive "the posted limited" with hard accel and climbing you're looking at an empty wallet. GT's are fun to drive cars- simple, fun vs economy. Cuz w/ my GT I'm seeing most of these "feul efficent" cars in my rear view mirror.....far gone.

my old pretege which is somewhat similar to a focus got 30 cruising at 80 as well as some city traffic beating. at 80 my rpms were ~3500. i always got above 20 beating the hell out of it even in city.

jon in ct i agree with you....if nothing was changed internally, then there is no reason for the fuel economy change except for what you said. it's been talked about for a while now. and if you guys are worried about 2mpg, then look forward to the loss of a hybrid.

slegacy 99...i have an 07 5eat and we actually get the stated mileage. it's not about having the auto...the auto actually has better gearing for gas savings. it's about having a heavy right foot. the gt is penty quick and if people aren't racing with their penis, then gas mileage isn't a problem.

hell...just yesterday i had alot of hard runs even hitting 100 a couple of times. got 19.5 and that's with city driving as well. my gf started at around 16-17mpg and went tot he airport. came back at over 22mpg. that's alot of making up to do.

IT'S THE RIGHT FOOT PEOPLE!!!

nothing else. i get the stated mileage and you should be getting it too. just quit racing at every damn stoplight.

IT'S THE RIGHT FOOT PEOPLE!!!

nothing else. i get the stated mileage and you should be getting it too. just quit racing at every damn stoplight.

Exactly. I drive the 2.5i because I like the extra mpg and not having to pay for premium, but I average around 26 with a combo of 75 highway and 25 city. Thats pretty much rated mpg. I see all these idiots passing on uphills and just maintaining on downhills. Accelerating to 80 to pass something and then go back down to 65 and then exit the freeway.

I woke up yesterday, picked up my mom and sister from the airport, took them to berekely from sacramento, drove them around berkeley to see the campus, then took them to Davis to eat. Then we went from one end of Davis to the other for Ice cream (not that big deal I guess, 5-7 miles), then to the airport and home. This morning the indicator said 29.4.

Thats for a car with 4 people in it. Granted, 3 of those people combine into 2 regular peoples' weight.

Archived