LegacyGT.com

How to Buy a New Subaru at 2% Below Dealer Invoice Without Haggling

Jon in CT

^

Same thing happened to me. To be fair, in the first post Jon in CT did say that you should check with the organization BEFORE signing up with them....

The link to the NGA in the post claims they are still partnered with SOA, but the page is a fluke left behind by some lazy @ss webmaster. After I got my bummer of an email from them I tried to navigate to that webpage via the site itself and got zilch. The super suck part for me is that I signed up 6.5 months before our Forester XT lease was going to expire. I finally emailed the customer service two months later to find out they weren't in the program anymore and I missed my window of opportunity.....

Looks like the family is getting plants and gardening krap for Christmas! :lol:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well hot damn...this actually gives me a good reason to stop messing around and join ACA. I took a course this summer since the girlfriend kayaks and I'll probably be joining her next season as well.

Shame it has to be a 6 month wait, because I might not wait that long.

i just renewed my membership for another year.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Yea it's a little different up there. Fewer dealers competing=bad for buyers. I find it harder to negotiate a good price here in Michigan too maybe because they sell fewer imports here. Besides using the VIP program, getting the Subaru credit by Chase wouldn't be a bad idea either...it gives 3% cashback towards buying a Subaru and getting services at dealer. Anyway, good luck! :)

ya, i am thinking of doing that actually,but want to pay off current cc bills before adding another.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what the dealer holdback per cent is for Subaru dealers in the NorthEast? Edmunds says it is 3% except it may be different in the NorthEast. Several dealers in MA with whom I spoke said it was 2%.

I just bought a '08 2.5i LL Bean Outback with Nav and VDC for $26k and change out the door (that is, including 5% tax, $250 dealer prep/title and $86 for plates). The only options were the auto dimming mirror and a net. This seem Ok and is slightly below the Edmunds Fair Market TMV value of what others are paying ($25,959 on an MSRP of $27,551 including the $645 destination charge). (The Edmunds TMV does not include the $1,300 tax and tags - I am not sure whether it includes dealer prep/title.)

edmunds only refers to the price of the vehicle before any fees and taxes. look at the sale price of the car (obviously after options, destination and excluding any money down or trade-in) and compare that to the tmv price. It sounds like you did ok, but not quite vip.

does anyone know how edmunds obtains the tmv price?

• 2 months later...

Looks to me like it's just invoice pricing, not 2% below...

From this:

http://vip.subaru.com/vip/default/purchase.jsp

Welcome to the Subaru of America VIP Program

http://vip.subaru.com/vip/images/spacer.gifPurchase Pricing

VIP pricing for purchase transactions is based upon dealer invoice cost for the vehicle and factory installed accessories as invoiced and delivered to the dealer by SOA. This is the non-negotiable base price for all customers with proper VIP Program authorization.

The VIP price is further reduced by all applicable SOA regional dealer or customer incentives.

The special pricing under the VIP program cannot be combined with any other Subaru of America, Inc. promotional offers or vouchers (except Subaru MasterCard ® points).

The VIP customer will be responsible for all applicable federal, state and local taxes and license and municipality registration fees.

Any customary dealer administrative, advertising and/or dealer trade fees are additional.

Looks to me like it's just invoice pricing, not 2% below...

There are actually different tiers of the VIP program. I posted this link earlier in this thread: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24228&d=1157857078. According to that, the normal VIP program for employees of Subaru and suppliers/vendors is invoice pricing. The VIP program for members of Subaru partners (the ones listed in Post 1 here) is 2% under invoice. I got my car in October '06 for 2% under invoice and I also got a $150 L.L. Bean gift certificate through the VIP partner program at the time. Of course that was over a year ago, so they could have changed the offer.

we bought our 07 STI in April for 2% UNDER invoice thru the VIP program. Since hubby is also an employee, we looked at which was cheaper, the Employee pricing or the VIP Program. VIP won out, saved us another $800 from an already good price. Next will be my 08 STI hatch, we'll buy which ever is the better price for the same car.

^+1*2, got vip pricing without ever having to wait for a membership, or get a voucher. on both cars. actually got both cars just slightly lower than invoice - 2%.

EDIT: got the spec.b at that price even while dealers were asking $4k markup, total price including finance charges for the life of the loan is exactly what my starting offer was (below msrp), so i saved a lot.

In TX they couldn't move spec.b's though, I was doing a nationwide search and most of the cars I could find were in texas for invoice.

Lucky for me... haha. I only got mine down here because it was 1 of only 2 spoilerless 07s left in the country at the time.

I understand that in places like AK or Canada this program could very well be worth it. But the majority of the US Legacys seem to go well below sticker to begin with.

lol

• 3 weeks later...
Also, does this work on lease/smart finances?
^ Ford Explorer? I am not sure about lease pricing, but depending on which vip program you are in, it is either invoice or invoice -2%. Your dealer or club accounting should be able to give you the details.

Lucky for me... haha. I only got mine down here because it was 1 of only 2 spoilerless 07s left in the country at the time.

I understand that in places like AK or Canada this program could very well be worth it. But the majority of the US Legacys seem to go well below sticker to begin with.

subaru's sell at full MSRP or more up here.... unless you can talk them down, they don't have to sell for uber low pricing. with incentives and rebates, usually you can still get a decent price, however, it's not necessary for them to sell at invoice or lower since they are one of the largest volume sellers in PNW and there is only one dinky little dealership in Fairbanks to be somewhat competitive. We do have people who will buy from Carter or another dealership in Beaverton, OR. Just like buying a car from any other dealership however, I have found doing research and being armed with info to be my best ally. When I purchased my 05 LGT, I negotiated with the dealership for well over a week before we agreed on price and trade in for my previous vehicle, no VIP or Employee pricing since it did not apply at the time. I still paid just over invoice for the car since it had been sitting in inventory for some time and they were losing money on it every day it sat on the lot. :) Those are the cars you want to buy if you don't have a program to work with.

for the STI, we ordered it and used the VIP program and for the 08 I'll be ordering in May, I'll do the same. It will come on the regular shipment so it won't be special order and I'll just request my pwk about 2 wks before it's scheduled to arrive. :)

subaru's sell at full MSRP or more up here.... unless you can talk them down, they don't have to sell for uber low pricing. with incentives and rebates, usually you can still get a decent price, however, it's not necessary for them to sell at invoice or lower since they are one of the largest volume sellers in PNW and there is only one dinky little dealership in Fairbanks to be somewhat competitive. We do have people who will buy from Carter or another dealership in Beaverton, OR. Just like buying a car from any other dealership however, I have found doing research and being armed with info to be my best ally. When I purchased my 05 LGT, I negotiated with the dealership for well over a week before we agreed on price and trade in for my previous vehicle, no VIP or Employee pricing since it did not apply at the time. I still paid just over invoice for the car since it had been sitting in inventory for some time and they were losing money on it every day it sat on the lot. :) Those are the cars you want to buy if you don't have a program to work with.

for the STI, we ordered it and used the VIP program and for the 08 I'll be ordering in May, I'll do the same. It will come on the regular shipment so it won't be special order and I'll just request my pwk about 2 wks before it's scheduled to arrive. :)

What is the difference between a vehicle sold order and a dealer inventory purchase? They get shipped the same and arrive on the same truck don't they? It's often easier to work a deal on a car that has been on the lot a while, but those cars will most definitely have some paintwork problems from power washing and/or quick detailing. Always special order when you can. Regardless, you are buying yours new off the truck, but I don't see how that is any different than a vehicle sold order.

Interesting program. I could have used it for leverage, but as some have said, good bartering skills, location, and timing can land you the same end result. I plan to purchase a new '08 GT this week at invoice less a $750 instant rebate. There are several dealers all willing to make the same deal, it's just a matter of finding the right color/options.

What is the difference between a vehicle sold order and a dealer inventory purchase? They get shipped the same and arrive on the same truck don't they? It's often easier to work a deal on a car that has been on the lot a while, but those cars will most definitely have some paintwork problems from power washing and/or quick detailing. Always special order when you can. Regardless, you are buying yours new off the truck, but I don't see how that is any different than a vehicle sold order.

I believe they are allocated differently and priced differently on "special orders." this way, I can get my order in when they bring up their monthly allocation vs one all by itself. I believe it has something to do with shipping and timing.. Regardless, my situation is a little different due to my relationship with the dealership. Also, keep in mind, the pwk for the VIP program has a 45 day expiration. You have to take delivery of the vehicle w/in 45 days of the date of the pwk or you have to start over again. so, can't really do special orders...

Interesting program. I could have used it for leverage, but as some have said, good bartering skills, location, and timing can land you the same end result. I plan to purchase a new '08 GT this week at invoice less a $750 instant rebate. There are several dealers all willing to make the same deal, it's just a matter of finding the right color/options.

Keep in mind that the VIP program is 2% under invoice, then on top of that take off the instant rebate from SOA. So you're talking an extra $600-ish. Not a bad deal. And you also get wholesale pricing on an extended warranty, any accessories, etc.

08 STi??? Looking forward to pictures. I think its the first hatchback I've ever actually liked.

lol

• 2 weeks later...