LegacyGT.com

New Wheel Poll... now new and improved, with ability to buy!

IwannaSportSedan

Which wheels do you think would look best on my car.  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which wheels do you think would look best on my car.

• Heidfeld Mesh Hyper light
    • Heidfeld Mesh Hyper dark (smoke chrome)
    • Rota Torque Silver (17x8 or 18x8 if available)
    • Rota Torque Hypersilver same size ^
    • Rota Torque Hyperblack same size ^ more likely 18"
    • Rota Tarmac II Full Royal Steel Grey, 18x7.5
    • Rota Tarmac II Full Royal Gunmetal, 18x7.5
    • They all suck, use my alternate selection (post suggestion)

If you are going with 18s, I like the torques in either of the hyper colors. The spoke profile makes them look bigger than 18s. If you are going for 17s, you don't have them listed, but I like the Boosts. That spoke design tends to make them look bigger than 17s.

I was just kiddin, man! Givin' you a hard time.

Good taste is just good taste, and it isn't restricted to just one of us. :D

With chrome headlights and side trims... titanium chrome could be very cool.

I have so much "black" on my car that I am really diggin' the dark shadow. and the Gunmetal is a bit more interesting than just gloss black, and the off-black gives a little more dimension than the gloss black with the polished face.

I liked the 1996 Mustang Cobra's dark painted shadow, machine polished face wheels when they came out, too. I was still a mustang freak back then.

I'll probably stick to the 225/40-18 for the 18x7.5 wheels. The tires should only weigh about 21lbs, and the wheels about 19lbs. Forty even should be about 4-5lbs less than the stock 17" wheels and tires, even if the mass is a fraction of an inch further from the hub.

Four 225mm width performance tires should be good for an AWD car (two wheel drive overpowers two tires' traction easier, might need wider drive-wheels) and grip should be higher than most road-legal speeds should require. Light unsprung weight might actually help the suspension, even if it doesn't provide apparent effects to accelleration.

If I were racing this car, I would probably want specialized wide and light 17" racing wheels and r-compound tires, regardless of what they look like.

(my previous summer wheels, at the top of the post, were 18x7.5, with 225/40-18 kumho Supras... that should give you an idea of what that size looks like. the shipping weight on those wheels in cardboard was well over 20lbs... and the boxes were only ~2lbs.)

At some point I want to get bilsteins and Ion springs, to tame the suspension a bit. but lighter rolling stock will only help.

There is a gut-level attraction to wider wheels, but I think lighter might actually have at least as many benefits as the small difference in contact patch.

Be careful about too much width. I am running 18x8.5s with 235/40 rubber, and I barely have a credit card's thickness between having a high grip car and a hard rubbing machine!

245's are worth the rolls in back. 245/35 18 for the last couple thousand miles, swifts, wagon.

your tires are a good bit taller than mine too which is just as bad for rubbing.

update...

Well, The heidfelds that mdork is selling are a bit out of my price range. My Cat-back exhaust is costing a bit more than I had planned, which comes out of my wheel budget. Almost 900/shipped is a bit over, when tires are added. Especially when other options are less expensive brand new. Some wheels are just more expensive than others... just the way it is.

Subydude says that the full royal gunmetallic Tarmac IIs are out of stock, and not expected to be available, as the Tarmac II is going away. I have also enquired with MachV about those wheels, but haven't heard back just yet.

Torques are still on the list, but Subydude didn't give me an idea of what he has in stock.

I did get prices on Roh Adrenaline, which are good, but the wheels that fit are only 7" wide. While I don't absolutely need 8" wide wheels, at least 7.5 would be good (for more common 225 series tires.) For 7" wide wheels, I could get WRX 17"s for much more of a bargain, which has also crossed my mind.

So... I am still waiting on status updates from subydude, and mach V... and I guess we'll see what becomes available, I am also scouring the wheel classifieds here and at NASIOC...

How set are you on 18's, mine are 17x7.5, FYgunmetallic T2's.. A few pics are in my gallery..

Fairly well set.... considering I just ordered them. :D

Full Royal Gunmetallic 18x7.5 Tarmac 2. The LAST set I could find. There aren't many left out there, and according to some, Tarmac 2 is being discontinued. I'd believe it by the discounts.

Subydude and Mach V were out of them, although both very helpful vendors.

I ended up finding a set at Modacar, in california.

lookin' forward to receiving them, and getting tires on them. They should look great on the car.

Congrats, man. Tarmac 2's are awesome wheels, too bad they're going away. Wrap them with 225/40 rubber and skip the 35 profile for those Iowa roads! ;)

PS- can't go wrong w/ Bilsteins and iONs, just remember to go with wagon rear springs on the sedan for an even drop.

now rocking the 2007 Mini Cooper S

Working on the tires today and tomorrow, as well as some exhaust stuff. I should be receiving the wheels next week, and get the tires mounted locally.

Next question is whether I should save up for the chrome-line door sill panels, or STI decals for the center caps... but that is not so much of a hurry, and will be somewhere down the line, if at all. :D

I think this is turning toward my alternative to the Spec B. Spec IWSS - Stage 2, or something. :D

I sold dark ten-spoke wheels, and the similarity to what I just bought is not lost. but the polished face makes ALL the difference, as well as the dropped 5-bolt (rather than ten-bolt) center. the T2s are probably a pound or two lighter, as well. At least the Exels are still on a Legacy... but that person hasn't posted pics of them on his car, yet. :D

pictures will certainly be posted... too bad my camera sucks... but it is at least something to be able to put pics up.

But between the wheels and tires, the RBS spoiler going back on the front, and the Megan Racing/Magnaflow custom hybrid cat-back... this car is getting dressed for warmer weather. :D (smilies don't let on that I am excited about all of this, do they?)

Congrats on the purchase!

That sucks to hear the Tarmac II is being discontinued. Were you able to find the Full Royal/Black T2's? When I saw the thread you referenced it made me want them for my car.

I didn't find the Full royal black, and I haven't seen that listed anywhere besides Subydude. I don't think they have any, either. they may have other colors, but I am not sure.

Mach V has a set (as of 3-28-07) full-royal steel grey, (medium gray shadow, polished face.) and at a fantastic price. Call and talk to Dan (MachVDan, here on the forum), or Will, and tell them that Matt(IwannaSportSedan from LegacyGT.com) told you about them. Those would look stunning on a silver car.

Subydude's website has really good pictures, click on the full royal steel grey, or any of the others.

http://www.subydude.com/osc/product_info.php/cPath/220_21_158/products_id/259

MachV's site, these are the guys that have a set of them in stock.

http://www.fastwrx.com/rotagroup.html

Modacar had the Full royal Gunmetallic, (slightly off-black, with a tinge of bronze in it, but still VERY dark) and that is what I ordered. Their website had them, as well as other full painted, and FR-steel gray listed, but I am not sure what they have in stock.

RacingLab.com sells rota, but I only saw silver and gold full-painted on their website.

Keep in mind, as well, that some vendors know this wheel as "Group-A", rather than "Tarmac II". but they are the same thing.

UMCP: They offered them for 650$ shipped half way across the country... who knows what they would do for pickup without the shipping costs... And they may not last that long, if they are being discontinued.

I do understand about paying for the house first, though; and the spouse. (or spouse to be) "If she ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

Best of luck to you and yours, either way the wheel deal goes.

LittleBlueGT... your car looks fantastic with those wheels. Another reason that I was VERY close to buying those, before I found some T2s still in stock...

Archived