LegacyGT.com

Suspension Install, KWs, DMS Camber Plates, and SpecB Control Arms

praedet

I just love the fact that LGTs with their rear multilink suspension makes accessing/removing and changing out the rear struts so much easier than the Impreza's rear MacPhersons, esp on the sedans. GCs were an enormous PITA, GDs only slightly less so.

Ed

hey Ed, I hope that was all sarcasm.. I'll take the GC and GD over the BL chassis suspension work.. it's so much harder to also try putting a spanner wrench to adjust/tighten things on the BL/BP cuz of the multi-link bars being parallel with the spanner wrench and getting all in the way..

Keefe

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
So, you have had some time. How do you like your KWs? Did you change your damper settings. I had to control myself and not put them on in the middle night when I got them. I will do it tonight after work. It says to not use a impact gun to put on the top bolt and to only torque to 26 ft-lb. That seems kind of low. But it is a locking nut. Will keep you updated.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

My original comments still hold. This is a great set-up :D

The broken pavement out here makes it bumpy at times, but not punishing. After driving a MS6 recently, this suspension is sportier, but less punishing :D

I am still onthe same dampening settings, 10 from hard rear, 8 from hard front...

:spin:

sounds like some pretty high settings for just daily driving, how about setting them to near full soft? That's what you should try to do 99% of the time for daily driving and preserve some of the suspension until you autox or track the car.
Keefe

So, you have had some time. How do you like your KWs? Did you change your damper settings. I had to control myself and not put them on in the middle night when I got them. I will do it tonight after work. It says to not use a impact gun to put on the top bolt and to only torque to 26 ft-lb. That seems kind of low. But it is a locking nut. Will keep you updated.

Good luck getting the top nut on without using an impact gun. Since the KW's use the stock top hats with the recess of the top nut it's basically impossible to get a wrench on them while holding the shaft with a hex key. There is a special set of external drive sockets that do the trick but I've always just used an impact with no problems.

sounds like some pretty high settings for just daily driving, how about setting them to near full soft? That's what you should try to do 99% of the time for daily driving and preserve some of the suspension until you autox or track the car.

That's really on the soft side. The instructions say to use 6 click as a base. They also say never drive full soft or hard.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Good luck getting the top nut on without using an impact gun. Since the KW's use the stock top hats with the recess of the top nut it's basically impossible to get a wrench on them while holding the shaft with a hex key. There is a special set of external drive sockets that do the trick but I've always just used an impact with no problems.

I did the rears. I have a deep offset box-end wrench to fit in the top hat and a 5/16 open end to hold top of rod. I set my rears at 10 clicks and 1.25" height. I have about a finger and a half space space between the fender. Well within specs. I will do the fronts in the morning.

I use offset wrenches instead and torque them to spec rather than just impacting them until they are "done".

Keefe

That's really on the soft side. The instructions say to use 6 click as a base. They also say never drive full soft or hard.

the manual says you shouldnt ride at zero clicks off of full soft or full stiff, but you can have the clicks just at 1 or 2 clicks from full soft or full stiff.

I've installed a few KWs V2s for the GT..

Keefe

the manual says you shouldnt ride at zero clicks off of full soft or full stiff, but you can have the clicks just at 1 or 2 clicks from full soft or full stiff.

I've installed a few KWs V2s for the GT..

So what do you think is a good setting F&R?

I use offset wrenches instead and torque them to spec rather than just impacting them until they are "done".

Good for you. I bet I can come within 10% of any torque spec with a impact gun. Anyone that has worked on cars enough can do the same. I've done suspension work on a LOT of LGT's. I would also never do something to a customer's car that I wouldn't do on mine and I'm about as anal as they come with my own car.

So how do you adjust the rear damper on your wagon. Will the I have to pull all th panels off the get the allen in there. Is there a remote adjustment I can buy? Thanks

I'll give it a try.

• 1 year later...

I have some q's about dampening:

I assume I just plud on the purple dial and turn.

Is A full turn more than one click(level)? Is there an actual audible click?

Not an audible click, but you can definitely "feel" the clicks...

You can use the dial, or just the hex wrench that comes with it ;)

Hmm I didn't really feel much of anything. I will try tomorrow morning. How slowly do you turn it to hear the clicks?

Hmm I didn't really feel much of anything. I will try tomorrow morning. How slowly do you turn it to hear the clicks?

Go slow and you will feel the notches.

• 6 months later...

Archived