LegacyGT.com

Suspension Install, KWs, DMS Camber Plates, and SpecB Control Arms

praedet

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should get a corner balance if all possible before the alignment if you want that kind of performance. If you plan to skip this part, just go ahead and just do the alignment. Anytime you do a corner balance, you should follow-up with an alignment.

Hopefully your camber plates will help you get something around -3.0 if all possible.. I know on my car I was able to get -4.0 (but I normally run -3.0 to -3.5 for the track up front).

now, this is my preference on my car since you may want to set up your car looser than mine but here's my suggestion:

Set up the car for daily driving specs (as I assume you want this the foremost).

Front=

0 camber (max out the stock camber bolt first, then adjust the camber plate to achieve 0 camber). If you can't get zero camber, you can deal with -1.0 camber @ around +6.5 to +7.0 caster. With that much caster, you'll eventually get negative camber while turning, so dont worry about the zero camber anyways. run zero toe if possible, if not, run some toe-in at 1/32" in.

Rear=

Lower the car to your desired height, and you'll get your static camber (it should be around -1.5 to -1.75). Try not to drop it too low as you dont have spring preload to mess with to keep the suspension travel short. Once you get the ride height right, set your toe in the rear to be zero.. you really dont want to make the car twitchy by using toe-in (when combined with toe-out up front, you'll really make the car rotate). Toe out in the rear will make the car unstable at high speeds, but it will be stable in the rain (at least as far as I know.. a more experienced suspension guru should come in and correct me if Im wrong with this setup).

Track:

Once you get your daily driving setup, go ahead and ask the shop to knock in the camber plates to full negative to see what they come up with. It should be around -3.0 or more.. when you reach max, you will get toe-out.. I think you will get something as much as 3/32" toe-out (which is great for autox), but since it's track, you dont need that much, 1/16" toe-out up front is more than plenty and we'll adjust the rest through tire pressures if we need to get the car to turn in more.

Rear:

Since the rear is not adjustable at this point, we'll just dial in the tire pressures and dampening to make the car rotate from this point.

The crticial point is finding the correct ride height to get the car to give you the maximum braking potential (if that's how you want to drive the car) or we can learn how to just do a lot of weight-transfer and pivot the car by using "slow-in fast-out" driving method. If the car can hold a swing (aka drift), then we are money if we are flat on the gas at that point. I set my car to a higher ride height up front than the rear to keep the balance more to the rear when I get on the gas, which prevents the rear end to step out too much, the car can step out under braking just fine, and I can stop the rotation by adding throttle to get the rear end to sit down.

my car has a higher ride height up front than the rear and still use stiffer springs up front.. This allows me to get on the brakes hard and keep the car sitting level as possible under braking to use all 4 tires instead of relying on the 2 up front to stop the car. If you want to do "pivoting", then set up your car with less camber (no more than -2.5 degrees up front for track use) so that you can get more braking potential than running -3.5 or -4.0.

If you plan to drive with later braking, run more negative camber.. I havent been to this track before, so I dont know what the best aligment is. I know at Summit Point Main Circuit I can use a lot more camber than VIR (since VIR has a lot more flat areas and the braking zones are a lot hotter and longer so it's better off to run a flatter setup.

Keefe

Comparison Pics are posted

Once it gets nicer later today, I will get some better pics at exactly the same place as the before, but those will work for now...

Plus, the fog was screwing w/ the focus on the camera :(

I could go A LOT lower in front and back, but I like it as is. Slight lowering w/ much better performance. The control arms WILL be put on today, and I will get an alignment :D

Ted

:spin:

What suspension. -2 camber in front is not achiveable with e.g. Bilsteins/Pinks with stock camber bolts.

Just had this done last nite. I have the Eibach EZ Cam bolts.

Got it to:

Front Camber -2

Front Toe 0

Rear Camber (unadjustable): -1, -1.10

Rear Toe 0

These specs were achieve with abou 155lbs ballast in my drivers seat (simulates my weight), 1/4tank fuel, with spare pulled out.

Rear=

Lower the car to your desired height, and you'll get your static camber (it should be around -1.5 to -1.75). Try not to drop it too low as you dont have spring preload to mess with to keep the suspension travel short. Once you get the ride height right, set your toe in the rear to be zero.. you really dont want to make the car twitchy by using toe-in (when combined with toe-out up front, you'll really make the car rotate). Toe out in the rear will make the car unstable at high speeds, but it will be stable in the rain (at least as far as I know.. a more experienced suspension guru should come in and correct me if Im wrong with this setup).

I doubt that I am more experienced with suspension setup that you Keefe, but it has always been my understanding that a little rear toe-in actually helps to stabilize the rear end. If you think about it in very simplistic term, under cornering loads with some rear toe-in the outside rear tire is trying to push the tail to the inside of the turn as opposed to toe-out which will pull it outward, rotating the car more.

I doubt that I am more experienced with suspension setup that you Keefe, but it has always been my understanding that a little rear toe-in actually helps to stabilize the rear end. If you think about it in very simplistic term, under cornering loads with some rear toe-in the outside rear tire is trying to push the tail to the inside of the turn as opposed to toe-out which will pull it outward, rotating the car more.

From my persoanl experience with my LGT you are correct.

I tried toe out before on the rear just for the fun of it before an alignment, then it really liked to oversteer!

What suspension did you have before? Stock? The front/rear wheel gaps look surprisingly even for stock. Was the car on unlevel surface when you took the shots?

how much height do they add?
The camber plates were advertised to raise it 3/8". I think it might be closer to 1/2".

What suspension did you have before? Stock? The front/rear wheel gaps look surprisingly even for stock. Was the car on unlevel surface when you took the shots?
I was on the stock suspension beforehand. The before pictures show a little more gap in the front than the rear. It was unloaded on a level surface...

Dunno, the rear gap seems bigger than usual. The car is parked by the curb, I think it's tilted towards the curb. Roads are "crowned" usually.

I added pics of the SpecB Control Arms in the install section. I also added better after pics.

Here is the damage from the monkey w/ a wrench...

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/Suspension/IdiotBrokenKnuckle1.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/Suspension/IdiotBrokenKnuckle2.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/Suspension/IdiotBrokenKnuckle3.jpg

I just love the fact that LGTs with their rear multilink suspension makes accessing/removing and changing out the rear struts so much easier than the Impreza's rear MacPhersons, esp on the sedans. GCs were an enormous PITA, GDs only slightly less so.

Ed

It's interesting what you write about fronts vs. rear. Can you post side shot of your car?

I use to have a pic somewhere here on the boards with the car set up one way for the autox where you can see even under hard acceleration with 8k/6k springs, there was still a lot of squat.. BUT under braking the car was nice and level.. so I kept that in mind and then cornered balanced near that ride height...

By the naked eye, you cant see the corner balance differences, but when you look at my car now, it's about 1/2" higher up front than the rear.. I'll have to take a pic of it tomorrow for you as the car is up on jack stands being worked on for a few things for maintenance..

Keefe

Archived