LegacyGT.com

Rx330 OEM conversion for Full OEM HID's Write-up

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's brighter because it overlays the driver side. If you had them on one at a time they would be the same brightness. Which lens holders and lens did you use?

i used the rx holder. the e30 lens dropped right in :)

i covered up one side at a time to see the actual output of each projector and the driver side is significantly lower. its also a lot less sharp. apparently the shield being off by 1mm will result in a big difference. i guess thats the issue. ill have to take apart my headlights again.

I have 2 wiring harnesses. They're from replacement lights but they're the same. The wires are cutoff for the headlight bulb cause I couldn't remove them from the housings. They're brand new otherwise. Lemme know if you want them. I can send them your way.

• 1 month later...

im trying to find another shield to use with my rx330 bowl. i bent my stock ones. the one on the left looks like it would work perfect.

i would guess the rx330 non-afs shield (right) wont fit inside our housing without heavy trimming..

What do you mean you "bent" the stock ones. Is it so bad that they can't be repaired?

The MDX shield would be the best to use and a dremel is all that would be needed for the trimming of it. You just outline the stock one on it and cut accordingly. It actually has a better light spread then the stock one does because it allows more light out.

You might be able to fit Corolla shields as they have the same setup as we do. As far as HID shields go there is cutting the MDX one or getting ahold of some 07 MDX shields (very very hard to find) there is also the RX8 shields from the HID lights (identical to RX330's but with the mounting locations like our cars also have.

If you have the RX 330 non-asf shields I'd just say to do the trimming as it can be done in no time and installed. Or see if you can find someone with stock shields that will sell them. I have 1 stock shield that is unmodified and another that was trimmed a little. If you'd like them I'll gladly pack them and bring them back to CA with me later in December when I come home for X-mas. I can meet up with you somewhere like temecula or somewhere off the 5 in the irvine area and give them to you for just the gas money cost of like $10 that it takes for me to drive up from San Diego.

What do you mean you "bent" the stock ones. Is it so bad that they can't be repaired?

The MDX shield would be the best to use and a dremel is all that would be needed for the trimming of it. You just outline the stock one on it and cut accordingly. It actually has a better light spread then the stock one does because it allows more light out.

You might be able to fit Corolla shields as they have the same setup as we do. As far as HID shields go there is cutting the MDX one or getting ahold of some 07 MDX shields (very very hard to find) there is also the RX8 shields from the HID lights (identical to RX330's but with the mounting locations like our cars also have.

If you have the RX 330 non-asf shields I'd just say to do the trimming as it can be done in no time and installed. Or see if you can find someone with stock shields that will sell them. I have 1 stock shield that is unmodified and another that was trimmed a little. If you'd like them I'll gladly pack them and bring them back to CA with me later in December when I come home for X-mas. I can meet up with you somewhere like temecula or somewhere off the 5 in the irvine area and give them to you for just the gas money cost of like $10 that it takes for me to drive up from San Diego.

My laziness is responsible for the bent shield. After testing my fully assembled retrofit I noticed the shield was a little sideways. Instead of prying apart the headlight again I took a long flathead screwdriver to the bulb opening and tried to put pressure on the side that was high. Ended up bending the step down on the cutoff. Result, my cutoff sharpness and cutoff was thrown off.

I actually only need one legacy shield. Please bring! I will gladly offer you gas money. Or if you would rather ship, I would be willing to pay for shipping.

I like the setup but I prefer a curved shield instead of a flat shield. I'm still debating taking them apart tonight and making some custom curved shields for them.

sorry if i missed this somewhere but what are the advantages of a curved shield?

a sharp beam all the way across the entire beam pattern. A flat shield is only going to have the correct optics in the center so you end up with a sharp center section but it goes fuzzier as you go out from the center.

scroll down to the rx330 section on this page and you can see the comparo with the stock flat shield vs a custom curved shield. http://jvxdriver.com/beam_comparison.htm

You'll notice that the curved shield has the beam not only sharper out on the edges but more distinctive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
I just brought some non AFS RX330 projectors on TRS they were under clearance for $75 for the two of them because my stock headlights area getting cloudy I will be putting them in new replacements but with so many pages here I'm wondering what about the RX330 lens being replaced with one of the clear lenses that TRS sells?

I ordered some lens loong time ago back when I thought they would fit the 2nd gen legacy JDM projectors.. but I can't remember the size of those projectors and I'm trying to find those lenses.. of course I find the boxes but no lenses in them

Oh I heard they are 3" so nevermind

Edited by 1-3-2-4

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if I can buy an OEM replacement headlight lens without the housing assembly?

I have a set of RX300 retrofits that I really like, but one of the headlight lenses was cracked last week. Everything else looks to be in good shape and I would like to avoid swapping everything into another housing. I could also probably get a new headlight, take off the lens, and put it on my old one. I doubt the resale value of the housing assembly without a lens is very high.

Edited by PutnamCO