LegacyGT.com

Rx330 OEM conversion for Full OEM HID's Write-up

I know about the DRL, but on the 08-09 models, the DRL are on the high beams, not the low beams.

So normally, when I put down the handbrake, only the High beam should be on, not both !

I spliced the ballast connector onto the H7 plug in the headlight, so I'm thinking, that I might have inverted the + and - wire ... I'll check on that later.

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, today I unplugged both ballast, check a few fuses and play with the light switch.

Then I plugged back the ballast and now they work as suppose. Only when I turn the light switch to the correct position. So now, they don't light-up anymore when I put the handbrake down....

Anyways, problem solve, I guess ....

• 4 weeks later...

So anyone wanna help me get these bad boys wired up as my DRL's? I need to find a relay that can switch on with a low voltage and pass the 12 volts I need to power this bad boy. Any ideas on where to get it?

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=96057&stc=1&d=1296824850

I have the DRL unplugged in the cabin but I'm thinking I can hook the relay up to the wire I pulled and that way the normal DRL's won't function and then I can run the hot wires out to the LED strips. What's everyone think?

photo.thumb.jpg.03d752bd8a69af235fc71268d5afc9f3.jpg

Don't pretty much all relays switch with a relatively low voltage? Then the relay just sends whatever power source you've hooked it to straight to your source. So use the DRL wire to trigger the relay and run a fused line from the battery to the LEDs?

That said, McMaster Carr probably has a huge selection of relays.

yea I don't know where to get it from. I was reading on hidplanet.com and they were saying how normally the automotive relay needs around 12v to kick on. The reason it's safer is because the 12v only triggers the relay and won't fry your wiring whereas just hooking up a ballast straight to the wiring will stress the factory harness. That's why I'm unsure what kind of relay I need.

Ah, yeah, I guess it could be different in 08-09 models. I imagine there has to be a way to trigger a relay using a 2.6v source, but I expect someone with more electrical experience will need to chime in.

See if I could figure out what relay I need I'll be fine cause I can keep it under the dash and it won't be exposed to any elements. It's just a matter of finding the right thing I guess. I also need to get a voltmeter and see what the actual voltage is of the wire I removed under the dash to disable the DRL's.

I guess I shouldn't get too far ahead of myself cause I don't even know if that wire is hot or not when the car should be in DRL mode.

I found this thread a bit ago and it has me intrigued.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=123815&TPN=1&PN=1

I think what I can do is setup 2 relay systems in my engine bay. One running my headlights off of the driver side headlight wiring and another one running my DRL beams off of the passenger side headlight wiring using the reverse relay system for this second one.

Any thoughts?

So another question. I'm reading through the 2008 vacation pix and noticing that our cars headlight system already has relays built in for the low beams.

New question. is it really necessary to run a relay harness for my HID setup with Denso Slim ballasts? What do you fellow HID'ers think.

New question. is it really necessary to run a relay harness for my HID setup with Denso Slim ballasts? What do you fellow HID'ers think.

I run a relay as the ballasts simply pull more amp's then a typical halogen bulb. I'm all for not burning my wiring loom up. The relay on the HID harness is there to allow electricity to flow directly from the battery connection.

yea but the headlight system is already using relays to do that very thing as far as my understanding of the diagrams I was looking at. I'm just thinking we may be using 2 relays per headlight which would be more things that could go wrong. I know in the case of Honda's and other cars that the wiring is definitely not made to run these types of lights and they need the Relay to draw the amps needed.

I think though that in the case of our car the Subaru got it right by having the relays built into the fuse box and everything runs through those.

Edited by Golf4283

Ok time to whore out my new retro setup. The setup is the same RX330 non-AFS i've been using but I now have LED light strips in the headlights acting as my DRL's.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-ikEb5fYp4]YouTube - LED DRL setup (2008 Subaru Legacy 3.0R)[/ame]

And a second video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoYfRdMVUQ0]YouTube - LED DRL additional (2008 Subaru Legacy 3.0R)[/ame] This setup was made by first disabling the DRL module in the cabin of the car. I then setup 2 SPDT relays which when the relay is in the normally open more send power to the LED's which then act as my DRL's. When I turn the headlight switch the relays become charged and power is directed towards the HID Ballasts. I am currently running an RX330 non-AFS retrofit with Celica clear lenses.

The two relays get their power from a third relay which is activated by a 12v ignition switch in the fusebox of my engine bay. This way the DRL's will turn off when the car is off. This was the biggest problem when figuring this setup up but thinking back on it the solution was simple.

Edited by Golf4283