LegacyGT.com

GM is going to beat Subaru to the punch.

link

We can only hope this Opel coupe comes to the US as the Saturn Whoop-Ass, SAAB Sonnet, heck, we'd even let them call it the Allante II. For now, it's known as the Opel Gran Turismo Coupe concept. Whatever it gets called is fine with us. It's sure handsome, and if scuttlebutt is true, it can back up the fast profile with real performance. The coupe is rumored to have a 300 hp turbocharged V6 lurking under the cleanly-drawn sheetmetal. That motive force is distributed to all four wheels, and the underpinnings are donated from the next-generation Vectra. Of course the concept is equipped like the full-boat, optioned up model would be (and then some); so it has all the goodies like a hard-disk based infotainment system, parking assistance, and undoubtedly more. We'll get to see this car up close and personal at the Geneva show, which is so close now that we're like 8 year olds on Christmas Eve. For now, we'll have to be satisfied to gaze longingly at these leaked photos that turned up on Spanish website km77.

[source: km77 via Motor Authority]

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/03/gtc4.jpghttp://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/03/gtc10.jpg

Subaru could have listened to me, and built a successor to the SVX on the current Legacy platform.

I doubt that will happen before this becomes a Saab or Saturn, or even Pontiac in the US market.

High output 6-cylinder, with AWD... (and a bit of G35 Coupe knock-off looks) is not bad at all.

I'll believe it when I see it:rolleyes:

If it when it does come one could only hope it does not go under the Saturn brand. For those of you that have never dealt with that dealership network.............

It's a joke!!!!!!!

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

If Subaru comes out with a competitor that looks good like that, then we shouldn't be worried. I mean what would you rather buy.. a GM, or a Subaru?

Then again that is if Subaru comes out with that car.. heh

-ben

Really hot coupe...

Gosh, if GM really kicked their reliability and quality in North America they could really grab the lost market share..

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

That's a lot of "IF's" for a has been company. Could happen. Porcine could take wing too.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Subaru is not the largest automaker in the world like GM is. In fact, it could possibly be nearly the smallest.

If GM brings this to North America, whatever the brand name, Subaru should be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

Subaru has NO coupes. This Coupe is slick, and AWD, with turbocharged 6-cylinder power.

SUBARU should OWN that market, but they ignore it. Subaru should be sitting up a little straighter in their chairs at this, not yawning.

If GM can make a coupe like this, they can certainly make a sedan, wagon and they probably already have an CUV...

Subaru can't afford to take anything for granted. They don't even sell 200,000 units in this country.

GM, however isn't a juggernaut, although they have been taking it up a notch as of late. The production Aura is blander than the concept... this probably would be, as well.

It will be something to keep an eye on. And for those of us who wish for a sporty all-weather everyday coupe... Subaru is a no-show.

If they did build a new Legacy-based SVX successor, I would be hugely enthused, especially if it takes Legacy's handsome, and SVX's sleek, and puts them together well with chassis and power to spare.

Subaru can't afford to take anything for granted. They don't even sell 200,000 units in this country.

:orly:

Company sets sales record in 2006; Fourth consecutive sales record; December total is highest-ever sales month in the history of the brand

CHERRY HILL, N.J., Jan. 3, 2007 -- Subaru of America, Inc. today announced it has exceeded the 200,000 unit milestone for 2006 sales and achieved its fourth consecutive sales record, selling a total of 200,703 units for the year. Subaru also recorded its highest-ever monthly sales number in December, exceeding 20,000 units for the first time, with 20,613 units for the month.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

I mean honestly, we are talking about GM here.

Reaction at Subaru Corporate Headquarters --> "Yaaaaaawnnn!"

So true!!!!!

SOA better not be yawning though......I see nothing but contraction in there lineup & beside 1 car, NOTHING of interest:(:(:(

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

i've said many times that Subaru needs a halo car ie. a two door coupe with a H-6 turbo 375 hp 6 spd auto or manual the parts are there use them. bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

:orly:

Company sets sales record in 2006; Fourth consecutive sales record; December total is highest-ever sales month in the history of the brand

CHERRY HILL, N.J., Jan. 3, 2007 -- Subaru of America, Inc. today announced it has exceeded the 200,000 unit milestone for 2006 sales and achieved its fourth consecutive sales record, selling a total of 200,703 units for the year.

Subaru also recorded its highest-ever monthly sales number in December, exceeding 20,000 units for the first time, with 20,613 units for the month.

OK.... but that hardly invalidates my point. The last report I had heard was about FHI wanting to increase US sales, because they were only about 196k units, and opening a branch office in LA...

But still. Chevy probably sells more trucks than that in a few months.

Subaru is not a major player, and does not have the spare resources that GM does, even in GM's state currently.

However, rather than using that as an excuse for the contraction that is so aptly mentioned, Subaru should be focusing on clawing for EVERY sale it can make.

Letting other brands capitalize other markets with AWD cars that Subaru no longer offers might as well write off marketshare.

Subaru needs it far more than GM does.

Subaru needs to be doing this better and cleaner than the other guy. not giving up without a fight.

They aren't even showing up in the coupe market, and leaving other markets.

Who knows what will happen if the new impreza falls flat like the Tribeca did.

They have not supported the Legacy, the Outback is not upgrading to keep up with other CUVs on the market, in terms of features.

Forester is due for an update that is at least 18 months off (probably a year after the Impreza refresh...)

It is extremely sad, because the hardware is great. The management is what sucks.

They need to get on the stick and move the ball down the feild, not kneel on the ball, or fumble. (to turn a football analogy.)

As much as I love my Legacy GT...

someday it will need to be replaced, and Subaru won't have the product to keep me, if they even have enough to stay afloat.

After their record setting December, their February was down more than 5% over last year.

Well, when one starts making statements of fact mixed with opinions, and the facts are wrong, it sort of undermines your opinions. m Invalidating your points wasn't my intent anyway. Your opinions, yer welcome to them.

Look, launching or re-designing vehicle platforms is enormously expensive. Just take into consideration all the laws for design safety in every country they want to sell it in.

Now, Subaru in the last several years (5-6 years) has gone from a company they few people outside the NorthEast and mountinuous areas had ever heard of, to one that people recognize. They bought a boat-load of advertising during Lance Armstrong's run in the Tour. During this time they started racking up impressive safety records with NHTSA for crashworthiness. Now in 2007 every one of their cars is recommended by Consumer Reports with better than average reliability.

They've been very patient positioning the company, gaining brand-name recognition, a reputation for safety and reliability. You don't get to this point by changing your vehicle line-up every two years. It is impossible. Re-designing a vehicle sets the clock back to the start. New vehicles takes years to shake out design issues.

Yes, the lines are getting long in the tooth. The B9 - is well, icky.

I guess I'm not as pessimistic as you. I put their strategy into perspective as someone with engineering experience and as a person that sweated getting cars through crash testing. (I worked on Finite Element Analysis for a bit for a vehicle manufacturer).

OK.... but that hardly invalidates my point. The last report I had heard was about FHI wanting to increase US sales, because they were only about 196k units, and opening a branch office in LA...

Subaru is not a major player, and does not have the spare resources that GM does, even in GM's state currently.

However, rather than using that as an excuse for the contraction that is so aptly mentioned, Subaru should be focusing on clawing for EVERY sale it can make.

Letting other brands capitalize other markets with AWD cars that Subaru no longer offers might as well write off marketshare.

Subaru needs to be doing this better and cleaner than the other guy. not giving up without a fight.

They have not supported the Legacy, the Outback is not upgrading to keep up with other CUVs on the market, in terms of features.

Forester is due for an update that is at least 18 months off (probably a year after the Impreza refresh...)

It is extremely sad, because the hardware is great. The management is what sucks.

They need to get on the stick and move the ball down the feild, not kneel on the ball, or fumble. (to turn a football analogy.)

someday it will need to be replaced, and Subaru won't have the product to keep me, if they even have enough to stay afloat.

After their record setting December, their February was down more than 5% over last year.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

I am impressed, its good to see GM finally coming around in the design department. The front end is a little over done, but I am sure it would be toned down a bit for production. The rear and sides are gorgeous.

What's subaru have to counter this sweet AWD/Turbo coupe with. A fugly 5 door hatch STI thats supposed to be announced next month in New York. Subaru has been going down hill for awhile now. The Legacy was their last well designed car, and I assume there last for a long time.

Well, when one starts making statements of fact mixed with opinions, and the facts are wrong, it sort of undermines your opinions. m Invalidating your points wasn't my intent anyway. Your opinions, yer welcome to them.

The facts weren't wrong. They perhaps may have been a few weeks old, is all.

If that undermines my credibility, than no one has any to begin with, and this forum might as well shut down, because no one has anything worthwhile to say.

Look, launching or re-designing vehicle platforms is enormously expensive. Just take into consideration all the laws for design safety in every country they want to sell it in.

I don't dispute the costs of designing cars. Obviously it is expensive.

Subaru is in the business of making cars, though. If they can't afford to compete, they will go out of business. It is just a matter of time.

I don't want that, of course. I love my subaru, I see the merit in the product, and I want them to do well, and continue to create good products.

However, I am not rosy about the trends that a lot of us see happening with their product, and without it there may not be a rosy future for Subaru.

Now, Subaru in the last several years (5-6 years) has gone from a company they few people outside the NorthEast and mountinuous areas had ever heard of, to ]one that people recognize. They bought a boat-load of advertising during Lance Armstrong's run in the Tour. During this time they started racking up impressive safety records with NHTSA for crashworthiness. Now in 2007 every one of their cars is recommended by Consumer Reports with better than average reliability.

They've been very patient positioning the company, gaining brand-name recognition, a reputation for safety and reliability. You don't get to this point by changing your vehicle line-up every two years. It is impossible. Re-designing a vehicle sets the clock back to the start. New vehicles takes years to shake out design issues.

Yes, the lines are getting long in the tooth. The B9 - is well, icky.

I guess I'm not as pessimistic as you. I put their strategy into perspective as someone with engineering experience and as a person that sweated getting cars through crash testing. (I worked on Finite Element Analysis for a bit for a vehicle manufacturer).

I don't dispute most of that either, although I don't think the brand name was as obscure as you suggest, in areas outside New England.

I have known about subaru for a LONG time, I venture that others have, too; but until recently their products have not appealed to me.

Now they seem to be retracting from that position already, since as recently as 2005. Not to say that their other products are unappealing. Just not to me.

I agree that the tribeca is ugly, though. A grille fix would fix 90% of the problem, and a "tush lift" would fix most of the rest.

Between repealing options, bodystyles, colors, and letting product "wither on the vine," AND not competing in the resurging coupe market, what positive direction does Subaru have? They have good product, but they desperately need a direction. Product can't stand still, regardless of expense.

I am not sure if Subaru's marketing efforts have been patient, or just slow. Depending on your outlook, I suppose it could be seen either way.

Don't mistake my pessimism for ill-wishes. But the thing is, that most of the time, if problems aren't realized and addressed, they are usually perpetuated.

I want Subaru to do well, but I don't see them doing THAT particularly well right now, despite sales records (which I wonder about being a lagging indicator).

But if they don't spend the money on product development, and forward momentum, they are going to lose sales to other brands that do step up.

Whether someone esle wins the sales, or Subaru goes out of business someday, that means fewer subarus for those of us who do like them.

Call it tough love, if you like. :D

Baseline Cliff notes. Subaru should be making a car that competes with this, and one could argue that they should already have it on the market, yet we don't even see one on the horizon.

Well, I bought the Legacy because it is a nice blend of sports sedan and sleeper. This concept vehicle you pointed out just ain't my cup of tea. Does nothing for me. Would it sell better than a Legacy. I doubt it.

You don't see Subaru doing well because they haven't updated their product lines. I see Subaru as doing well because they've expanded US market share and seem to be garnering reliability recognition and safety awards.

Some say tomato, some say tomahtoe...

Guess we have to agree to disagree.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Can't wait to see the Opel Astra, I mean Saturn Astra hit the show rooms...

If Subaru did make a 2 door 250+ hp car (as hot as the SVX) my dad and I both would want one. However, it must be available with a 6 speed manual. I woulda have gotten an SVX instead of a LGT, but who wants a 4EAT? No one. I wouldnt wanna see a 5EAT either in such a car.

Make it available with a Turbo 2.5L base and a turbo 3.0L option to satisfy those Americans who are afraid of only having 4 cylinders.

Well, I bought the Legacy because it is a nice blend of sports sedan and sleeper. This concept vehicle you pointed out just ain't my cup of tea. Does nothing for me. Would it sell better than a Legacy. I doubt it.

You don't see Subaru doing well because they haven't updated their product lines. I see Subaru as doing well because they've expanded US market share and seem to be garnering reliability recognition and safety awards.

Some say tomato, some say tomahtoe...

Guess we have to agree to disagree.

I am not sure we disagree as much as you think. I bought the Legacy while looking for a four door as well. Sporty, dignified, and practical. Great combo.

But I am a sports car guy at heart, and I love a sporty coupe. A real looker with Legacy's chassis structure (or even better), turbo power, and AWD, would be amazing, and not very common.

I'd love to be able to say that I would rush out and buy one, if it were to magically become available, but I can't promise that. But I will need to replace or support a Legacy with another car someday... and I do love coupes.

A sexy car could sell more than the Legacy currently does, only because the Legacy (not counting the Outback) sells so undeservedly poorly.

Every car company is bringing coupes back onto the market, from Nissan Altima, to Audi A5, to the Chevy Camaro. Companies and brands that had lost their coupes in the SUV boom are bringing them back now. Subaru is not, at least not that anyone has heard. Not even an Impreza coupe to succeed the 2.5RS GC8... Let alone an SVX successor.

I don't see Subaru being able to sustain their contractionary practices. Every model year, more and more choices GO AWAY. it should be the other way around. Tribeca has come on-schene, but Baja was left languishing, and cancelled, as now the Legacy Wagon has, as well. And no real new things on the horizon. No concept cars. No nothing. B5TPH was ugly, and not a realistic concept of future product, and that is about all we've seen.

Safety and reliability are great, don't get me wrong. Subaru has had that reputation for a while. But are we expected to think that they are going to keep the current lineup as is for the forseeable future, aside from the Impreza replacement that no one has really seen yet? (and camoflaged, it doesn't look that good...)

Subaru needs more to hang their hat on than just a nice comfortable safe feeling.

Maybe we do disagree about subaru's forward outlook. but we both agree that their product is good. It isn't going to last forever, though... and continuing cutbacks are not going to give it more longevity, but rather less.

Well its an ugly ass car, but i like the thinking behind it. When the new camaro comes out and the new G8 we will know whether GM has picked up the ball or not. These will be the first of the "new generation: models from the "new" GM. If they can make some decent stuff then there may be hope yet. They have every advantage on their side right now so they are the only ones who can blow it.

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

While I agree with you on some things, I think you have a mispercetion of Subaru. While I have never talked to management I would have to assume that a Subaru is a "niche" car. It isn't a mainstream car, and never will be. The fact that all of their cars have AWD pretty much negates them from being sold in volume in many of the states were the weather is fine all year round.

I personally think Subaru is fine where they are at and they will continue to move forward. Subaru's continue to get built better and are slowly refreshed. I don't think most people care if subaru has a coupe, or if the legacy isn't a wagon. I see about 10 billion outbacks for every 1 legacy wagon I see. I also see about 1 billion legacies for every 1 legacy wagon I see. Who knows, but I think you are being unrealistic if you think subaru is trying to become the next "GM."

Archived