LegacyGT.com

GM is going to beat Subaru to the punch.

While I agree with you on some things, I think you have a mispercetion of Subaru. While I have never talked to management I would have to assume that a Subaru is a "niche" car. It isn't a mainstream car, and never will be. The fact that all of their cars have AWD pretty much negates them from being sold in volume in many of the states were the weather is fine all year round.

AWD is not necessarily an atribute to scoff at. As more cars come with AWD touted as safety, even with traction in the dry, and stability, it is becoming more mainstream. Subaru and AMC Eagle aren't the AWD cars that people think of anymore. There will always be more of a demand in more inclement climates, you are right about that.

I am not really talking about Subaru climbing out of their niche. I am saying that other mainstream manufacturers are climbing IN to Subaru's niche. Subaru is going to have a tough battle to defend that niche marketshare against a much bigger player.

I personally think Subaru is fine where they are at and they will continue to move forward. Subaru's continue to get built better and are slowly refreshed. I don't think most people care if subaru has a coupe, or if the legacy isn't a wagon. I see about 10 billion outbacks for every 1 legacy wagon I see. I also see about 1 billion legacies for every 1 legacy wagon I see. Who knows, but I think you are being unrealistic if you think subaru is trying to become the next "GM."

Subarus are being built better, safer, and as reliable as ever, and recently more powerful.

Most people, as you previously said, are not buying subarus in the main stream. Subaru owners tend to know what they want. I know what I want, and I eventually want a coupe. LOTS of subaru owners tend to want the practicality of a wagon. more than one-one-billionth of the owners here have wagons, and love them. And other markets still get them, with much lower numbers of units sold. Every other market, aside from Japan proper, are smaller than the US market. The US market is the only one that lost the Legacy wagon. Why cut off your nose to spite your face?

I don't want Subaru to become the next GM. No way!

But GM might be climbing into Subaru's AWD practical Niche with a good looking coupe. Subaru has no coupe, and thus, has no way to compete to defend their niche.

In a faster paced world, slower model updates, and receding option content is the wrong direction for a company that is trying to GROW their US Market share.

They need to be doing it better and cleaner than the other car company, not writing checks that their product can't cash. (due to non-essential problems like options, colors, and lack of inventory. the core product is sound, but isn't immortal.)

Oldsmobile was the oldest horseless carriage manufacturer in the US.

Plymouth was around quite a long time, too.

Just because a company has had longevity doesn't mean it is guaranteed to survive in the future, if it makes poor business choices.

It isn't going to fold overnight. but that doesn't mean that current trends are the right ones.

Why would they be in trouble?

Look at the changes in the market over the past ten years:

Plenty of car-based SUVs/tall wagons with many more coming to market

Haldex and related systems offers a fairly cheap way to adapt FWD platforms to AWD

Electronic stability control

Better winter tires

Other companies have increased the size of the cars

Average V6 family car is decently fast

Average family car now has a solid dose of luxury features available

This looks like the AWD coupe I've been looking for since about 1998. It would make a sweet refresh for the AWD coupe my girlfriend is driving now, if it becomes real. I'd rather it be a Subaru, but I'm not picky...

I do wish I had the $XX,XXXX to buy the new Nissan GTR though. That looks like the car I've always wanted...

How about this car, with Saab AERO-X wheels.

Cheque please. I was at the private Canadian debut of the Saab Aero concept...friggin hottest car ever made.

Honestly just build this, exactly like this, scale down the interior a tad, and you'll make bajillions.

http://www.trollhattansaab.net/images/aero-x/Aero%20X%20canopy%20up%20dark%20hangar%20hi.jpg

Archived