LegacyGT.com

07 spec Seats in 05 LGT

acooper5

So a bit of an update with some questions and concerns. The original idea to swap the seat covers on the passenger seat doesn't look like it's going to work. The backrest is fine, but the lower part is different on the two models. I'm trying to attach some diagrams to show you the differences, but it doesn't appear to be working. The 07 seats have two breaks or horizontal lines on the butt part and the 05 only has one. This means that the cushions are different so the 07 covers won't attach to the 05 cushion. The cushion is where the occupant detector system is, hence the need to switch. Because the Occupant detection system is different the wiring is different yada yada yada

So I'm thinking about this occupant detector system. It is basically to save an airbag if there is noone sitting there right? so is there a way for me to make it think that there is always someone sitting there while I just hook up the 07 cushions to the 05 seat frame? Perhaps a resistor or something? anybody with some wiring knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BigT, I have run into the same problem. I have actually asked that same question already and openned a new thread for it, nobody has answered. I have even gone over to nasioc to check and have gotten close to finding an override but havent..:(

I still think swapping the seat cushions will work. Like you said it appears that the top will bolt on just the same but the bottom is going to need a little fabrication to fit. Hell I might even just take the leather off the cushion and swap it on the hold on.

Right now though all I am trying to do is find a way were I can trick the OCS into thinking that somebody is there. OR I have been doing alot of reading into the vacation pics and I am thinking about splicing the wires to just get the modulator with the 2007 to read to the light and airbag properly.

Semper Fi.

So far I've only taken apart the 07 seat. The 05 seat is still in the car because I don't have a torx head to take the seat belt off. Do you think there is any way to install the 05 ODS on the 07 cushion? or perhaps we can take it apart and just tape the buttons down and hide the hardware under the seat or something. Also, are you saying that you have tried switching the 07 butt cushion with the leather on it and it doesn't fit on the 05 power frame?

i dont have the power frame yet so I dont know...I imagine it would with a nice stretch. I tried to put it on my manual seat and it went on just the holes to work the seat were a little different. The 05 OCS is totally different then the 07. There are 4 wieght sensors on each corner of the seat...do they have buttons? I dont know if they did could we tape them down? Hypothetically i would think so and we could just throw everything underneath the seat and leave it there.

Right now I am going to try to trick the smart system...if I cant then I am going to just use the 05 seat power seat rails and take the back off the 07 and swap in on the 05.

Semper Fi.

Got another update. So I got some work done today. Looks like I'm just going to replace the cushions. They are not an exact fit, but pretty close, and the differences should be covered by the plastic parts. Hopefully the ODS will still work. I should know in a couple of days.

Got it done today. and the ODS works!!!! Took it for a ride with my sister and the ringing and airbag light went off. The Pass airbag light was on.

Now for the issues.

The seats are not a direct swap.

a. The bottom seat cushion is a little wider in some areas, so there is some pushing required, but no big deal.

b. The cuts of the leather are different on the bottom seat cover. As a result I was only able to attach the front and rear clips. Not the sides, but it holds on anyway. Also, I had to do some cutting of the side leather to get the bolts in to attach the bottom frame to the back frame. For this I made aesthetic compromises to meet functional needs, however all of the 'cutting' etc. is covered up by the plastic covers on the side of the seats. When you look at it, it looks perfect.

c. The back seat cushion fits perfect, except it is a little taller than the 05 cushion. As a result the plastic pieces that the headrest goes into, which usually clip right into the seat frame don't reach the frame. I have them about half way in. As a result the head rest won't go down all the way. This is my biggest concern. I'm thinking about fabricating some piping or something to fix this to prevent whip lash in the passenger seat. I'll take pics in a little bit.

d. The lumbar support is slightly lower in the 05 than the 07. To solve this I put the handle on and I have it going into the leather about an inch or so. Not a big deal, and I don't think anybody ever uses the lumbar support either.

e. The airbag in the 05 is about 1.5 inches smaller than the 07. as a result there is a little gap of cushioning on the side of the seat. You wouldn't notice unless you pushed in there and really nobody will do that. I left it alone for now, but if I start to see any creases in the leather I'll put some styrofoam there or something.

Thats about all the isses I came across. I'd offer some advice to those who may consider doing this.

#1 You need the right tools (50 torx bolt, two good sets of pliers, flat and phillips head screw drivers - the one that came with our car is good, and a good set of ratchets, a quality flashlight)

#2 Be careful with the bolts!!! Don't force anything. I striped one and it is a pain in the ass. Just take your time and be patient with them.

#3 Keep your stuff organized. Screws, bolts, etc.

#4 Print out the diagrams

Thats about it. I hope this is helpful. I'll attach pics in a little bit, but I'm probably going to have trouble. I can never attach pics. If somebody can help, let me know.

-Tom

great write up, I am doing the passenger power seat rail this weekend. I figured everything would work but good to know it does. Also, My rear seat doesnt have the problem at you stated in point C. I wonder why? That is werid. I will be so glad to get this stuff done.

I have the hooks now to lock in the rear seats and I have the template to cut the holes for the plastic clips on the top of the frame for the side pieces of the rear seat.

Semper Fi.

• 2 years later...

I did an 06 to 05 swap. The rear seats and driver seat just bolt right in. The passenger seat is a MAJOR PIA!!!

A) After 2005 they moved the lower seat belt mounting point from the seat to the B pillar. So it's impossible to just mount the 06 seat.

B) The ODS is seat cushion sensitive. The cushion changed after 2005. So you have to take the leather off the new seat and put it on the 05 cushion. Also, the cushions are different, so I had to fab up the mounting points.

C) The backrest on the 05 is also different. The airbag is longer on the 05 and wider on the 06. I had to take the leather and cushion off the 06 frame and install it on the 05.

It can be done, but it's A LOT of work. For an 07, I would double check as I think the connections changed on the drivers seat as well.

It can be done, but it's A LOT of work. For an 07, I would double check as I think the connections changed on the drivers seat as well.

Connections are all the same on drivers seat... with the exception of the memory position, but that can easily be changed with a screwdriver and the clip off the old seat. It is A LOT of work though... IF I were going to do this again, I would take the seats and swap out the rears and the drivers and take my passenger seat to a shop and have them remake my seat covers to match the rest... Def more expensive, but a far better option. Plus I like that everything would fit exactly (head rests etc... could be a safety issue with whip lash in an accident)

• 5 months later...
i took 30mins, looked around the back seat this morning after work ( yeah, i work overnight shift), and i have no idea where to start tearing them off!

mark

i dont recall right off the top of my head but theres a bolt on the seat bottom once you take that out the bottom sort of flips forward and you have to pull it out. once you get it out youll see the bolts to remove the seat back portion.

edit

the back seat is easy to remove, youll need some 12mm sockets (or 14mm??) to remove the seat backs, once unbolted the lift right up. be sure to take down the center armrest and center pass thru, i cussed about 1000x trying to get the seat out and it wouldnt budge cause those were still up! doh! :lol::spin:

please, if possible, anyone can show me some pics please?

mark

Do you have the vacation pictures? I think somebody took the seats off in there. If not, PM me and I'll try to get to you when I get home.

^^^ no biggie if you dont want em dude, Its def doable, but its a decent amount of work. Seems like the easiest is to swap the cloth covers for the leather ones. I talked to mr luv and it took him 5 hours to do the swap.

Archived