LegacyGT.com

2008 Lexus IS with new V8 under the hood!!!

Lexus targets M3

IS to get 5-litre V8 with over 400bhp

12th February 2007

http://www.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_425/car_photo_212727_7.jpg We’ve always said that the Lexus IS could do with more power, and the company has answered our prayers with the IS-F, complete with a 400bhp-plus 5-litre V8. The cylinder count and power output should, on paper at least, put it head to head with the next generation, V8-engined BMW M3, not to mention the Audi RS4.

Development of the hotrod Lexus was conducted both at the Nürburgring and at the Fuji Speedway, the circuit that hosts the Japanese Grand Prix, presumably so that the marketeers can make the most of Toyota’s motorsport connections.

The rear-drive IS-F is claimed to hit 60mph in ‘less than 4.9sec’ and boasts the world’s first production eight-speed automatic gearbox. Apparently you will be able to turn off all the electronic driver aids, although as the car’s principal market will be litigation-mad America, you do wonder if that means ‘completely disable’.

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm 6'3", had the seat all the way down and couldn't put my fingers between my head and the headliner.:(

Yep, I'm about 5'10" and pretty much felt the same way. Good motor, decent handling, good build quality, tiny little midget interior.

Anyone over 5'10" will not be comfortable at all even in the front. The IS interior is tiny, like it was tailor made for an Asian. I hate the interior of those cars, makes me claustrophobic thinking of them.

im a 5'9 asian but even i was uncomfy in the IS250 i test drove, great car tho lol

Wasn't Toyota thinkin of putting a v8 in the next gen supra....wonder if thats the motor.

That thing is pretty though. Wonder what the price tag will be???

Hmmmm haven't thought about that, it may be the same engine, or at least the same head and intake with a little different ECU tune, once the Supra is supposed to be sporty sporty car from the brand....

Now the million dollar question is how much will that cost...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

From an Acura forum...

"The above CGI is from the latest R&T mag where they claim that an IS500 is probably in the works to go against he next M3. Probably sharing the V8 engine from the next Supra, maybe slightly detuned and with a price of between $50K-$60K."

Steep price but it should be a nice car, however I still rather have the new BMW 335 twin turbo.... ;-)

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived