LegacyGT.com

Automatic transmission

Italian32984

The TQ converter is not the weak link......

Know this everyone, I am by no means a expert but for all of you with the 5EAT if you plan on bumping the power on our cars.

Get a tranny cooler first. My suggestion for someone just starting would be Accessport, tranny cooler.......

Our tranny is by no means a weak link but when some of us are putting 150+hp additional through it.......take precations;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm going to drive over to Stillen to talk about the valvebody modification.

They already do this for the Titans and 350 Zs.

Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

I am talking about all the a$$hats who think they are John Force and REPEATEDLY beat on the car and then cry to momma when the damn thing breaks. Then they have the audacity to expect someone else (manufacturer's warranty) to pay for it. If you're gonna play like a man (sorry trdvibe), then have the balls to shut the eff up and pay to have it fixed and don't be bitchin' and moanin' how you got screwed because your car isn't bulletproof and the manufacturer is incompetent because they couldn't design something that could withstand your ham-handed abuse. Your car is transportation, not a purpose-built racing machine.

Dude you have a problem, seriously. Your the only one crying about breaking a tranny, and your not the one even doing it. I broke my 5EAT at 13k miles. I didnt ONCE think to take it to subaru to get warranty to try to fix it. Im not stupid, and yes I did powerBREAK my car to 3500 rpms and the dam thing just snapped. When it broke, i calmy said, wow, it broke, better get that fixed.

Its not big deal if a tranny break, ESPEICALLY when the person knows exactly what there doing. I didn't break it and was like OMFG WTF, SUBARU SUX. Nah, i knew what i was doing and knew the price i had to pay to fix it, that price is about 1700 bucks :).

So all you people who call others idiots for breaking there trannies..wow, grow up. They knew what they were doing, and most are posting just to let people know they broke it, and then they get flammed for being dumb. Now THATS dumb.

Oscar

of the people who've recently broke their tranny.... ie Hybrid22l and Jerseyclock(not to single you guys out), neither has whined or complained about getting SoA to cover their repairs... both bit the bullet and went with a fully built IPT tranny.

Pay to Play, but i don't see a lot of ripping on the quality of the 5EAT from the people who actually broke them. Even FontanaMotorsports didn't really whine and cry about it.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

of the people who've recently broke their tranny.... ie Hybrid22l and Jerseyclock(not to single you guys out), neither has whined or complained about getting SoA to cover their repairs... both bit the bullet and went with a fully built IPT tranny.

Pay to Play, but i don't see a lot of ripping on the quality of the 5EAT from the people who actually broke them. Even FontanaMotorsports didn't really whine and cry about it.

Mike

Well said. Chit happens, live and learn, either get a built one so you can race, or don't do what you did last time. I opted for a Used tranny, found one for 1250 shipped, some LGT owner had 303 miles on there suby and tottalled it...good for me, bad for him.

Oscar

showbo, is there anyway you could find out what broke on your tranny. Was is the transfer case or boiling atf that killed it?

I realize you need to pay to play, but it would be great if we could prevent the tranny from breaking. I wish I had over 4k in my budget to put in a race transmission. But thats not going to happen.

You are basically saying repeated tq brakes killed yours?

showbo, is there anyway you could find out what broke on your tranny. Was is the transfer case or boiling atf that killed it?

I realize you need to pay to play, but it would be great if we could prevent the tranny from breaking. I wish I had over 4k in my budget to put in a race transmission. But thats not going to happen.

You are basically saying repeated tq brakes killed yours?

What killed mine was repeated ta brakes yes. Of course, i didn't do like 10 in 5 mins...I've done maybe 10, give or take 1 or 2, since a year of owning my car. Simple fact of the matter is, powerbrake launch at 3500+ is 50/50. Its either going to break, or its not.

Dont power brake that high, and u won't have to worry. When i broke mine, i haven't launched my car in a good long while. Only tried to launch once, and bam it broke. I know i busted the transfer case, because i have NO gears that will engage, not even park or reverse.

Oscar

+1, well said.

Mike

^and you didn't have a tranny cooler right?

Of course i wasn't, but a tranny cooler wont help a 3500+ powerBREAK launch...i mean cmon now think about it...lol

Would help low launches tho no problem.

JUST DON'T launch ur car that hard, and u wont have any tranny problems, look at trdvibe. Shes good to go, no problems. Just keep it under 2800 or lower with a tranny cooler, and ur solid.

Oscar

PS: so for drag racers this means BIG AZZ TURBO, with maybe a small shot of nawz to spool it up off the line, everything else, no problems

everyone's good to go until they explode it

swami says: tq braking = tranny torture; would you chain your car to a phone pole and stand on the gas? maybe you'd luck out and get some tire slip

put all the coolers you want, grinding the guts won't stop until you do

if ya wanna do it, get a rwd with lineloc instead

swami says: tq braking = tranny torture; would you chain your car to a phone pole and stand on the gas? maybe you'd luck out and get some tire slip

Negitive there ghost rider.

To each there own. I didn't buy a 30k car, that comes with a turbo, dump almost 2500 in mods, to just cruise it. If thats what you wanna do, then go right ahead and have fun modding for no reason.

I mod to go faster, and i drag race period.

I WILL break stuff, and i know i will, thats the price I pay for the HOBBY i like.

So thanks for your opinion, but i think i will keep my AWD car, and do what i want with it, if thats ok with you?

Just like almost everyone on here that broke there tranny, we haven't complained about it, we just said we broke it, and were fixing it, yet you respond as to were complaining? Geat real.

Oscar

Yeah, and then we'll see people complaining about how SoA must replace their blown up transmissions.... :eek:

Not. i'd rather give our fellow forum brothers and sisters more credit than that. Like i posted before, the ones who have owned up to it.

Mike

To each there own. I didn't buy a 30k car, that comes with a turbo, dump almost 2500 in mods, to just cruise it. If thats what you wanna do, then go right ahead and have fun modding for no reason.

I WILL break stuff, and i know i will, thats the price I pay for the HOBBY i like.

So thanks for your opinion, but i think i will keep my AWD car, and do what i want with it, if thats ok with you?

Just like almost everyone on here that broke there tranny, we haven't complained about it, we just said we broke it, and were fixing it, yet you respond as to were complaining? Geat real.

Oscar

I don't think anyone is disputing what you like to do to your car Oscar. I think as a whole, people like yourself are in the minority on the board. What I classify as you doing as "stupid" you call a "hobby". You bought the LGT to race/break/fix/repair/break again/fix/tweak and tune. That's great that you have the passion to do that.

For us others, who use our LGT's as our DD's (Daily Drivers) we don't have the luxury.

I think it's the difference between what you want from the car and that is always going to cause a clash in opinions based on what we're using the car for.

Me personally, I want a powerful, controlled DD that can usually pace/beat most of the standard sub-$30k sports sedans out there that handles nicely and has a smooth ride. Yours obviously differs but again, it's what YOU want from the car.

Oscar

exactly. no one here was complaining about if/when they broke their tranny. they were aware that it was a possibility. if/when i break mine (hopefully not in the near future) i will most likely go with a reinforced tranny more suitable to what i want to do to my car. if i mod it, i should expect that at some point, it will break the original factory one. the more you do to the car, the more you drive it hard, the more likely it will break. that is just common sense unless you're a complete moron. i'm taking it easy right now as I don't have the $4-6K for a new tranny at the moment, it's winter time with ice and snow on the roads. plus, all my money is going directly to my new business to get it up and running smoothly. once I have it all worked out, i'll be setting aside money for "Hope's Tranny Fund". why upgrade when you have a perfectly working OEM tranny? may as well use it til it dies then replace it.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I don't think anyone is disputing what you like to do to your car Oscar. I think as a whole, people like yourself are in the minority on the board. What I classify as you doing as "stupid" you call a "hobby". You bought the LGT to race/break/fix/repair/break again/fix/tweak and tune. That's great that you have the passion to do that.

For us others, who use our LGT's as our DD's (Daily Drivers) we don't have the luxury.

I think it's the difference between what you want from the car and that is always going to cause a clash in opinions based on what we're using the car for.

Me personally, I want a powerful, controlled DD that can usually pace/beat most of the standard sub-$30k sports sedans out there that handles nicely and has a smooth ride. Yours obviously differs but again, it's what YOU want from the car.

I don't see the clash of opinions from Oscar. He's not telling us what to do with our car. He's merely replying to inflammatory posts against people who torque-brake and the like.

There's no reason for a clash in opinions. The only person who can say what is wrong and right to do the car is the owner. Accept that some people are going to drag the car, auto-x it, race it, etc. Big deal if they do. I'm sure they know the consequences.

Mike

Archived