LegacyGT.com

Automatic transmission

Italian32984

I am posting this because as an atuo owner I was curious right away what a automatic transmission could hold for power. Well just recently I had a friend with an 06 auto at stage 2 break his tranny launching the car. He did his normal 3500 rpm rev and then let off the break. I would have to say that with this and reading about someone else breaking it at launch, that the automatic should not be launched. Think about this. Our cars have all 4 wheels spinning, , which in turn our cars grip the road like beast, great for starts, hard on the tranny. Your transmission has not give, it is taking on the load of all those tires. Unlike say a mustang, where the rear tires will go crazy. They may not launch like us, but there is less strain on the transmission because the tires and wheels dont grip like our cars. So whats the moral of this story, dont lanuch with an automatic.

Chris

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just installed my tranny cooler today. :)

i will confess, in the past i have done some crazy crazy power launches... :O but now i am worried after reading what some of the members here have blown their 5EATs. :( so no more power launching at 4K or even close! i'd rather be safe than sorry!

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

ha ha ha.. ya. hubby saw my incar vids of me racing... and it spiked up to about 4K at times. that was just one time (launch) though... since i got a thorough lashing and verbal beat down, then a very very long lecture of why i should not do that and how it will affect this part or that part, blah blah blah. this is why i got my tranny cooler installed and promised to not do any more power launches over 2K rpm.

and it is possible that my tranny is half dead by now. hubby just hopes and prays i don't screw it up or blow it up before we order his STI. he'll be more than pissed if i do.

I am posting this because as an atuo owner I was curious right away what a automatic transmission could hold for power. Well just recently I had a friend with an 06 auto at stage 2 break his tranny launching the car. He did his normal 3500 rpm rev and then let off the break. I would have to say that with this and reading about someone else breaking it at launch, that the automatic should not be launched. Think about this. Our cars have all 4 wheels spinning, , which in turn our cars grip the road like beast, great for starts, hard on the tranny. Your transmission has not give, it is taking on the load of all those tires. Unlike say a mustang, where the rear tires will go crazy. They may not launch like us, but there is less strain on the transmission because the tires and wheels dont grip like our cars. So whats the moral of this story, dont lanuch with an automatic.

Chris

Chris..... here's the moral of the story, don't be a dumb ass and powerbreak-launch your car.... period. Just don't do it. if you've noticed there has been about 2-4 threads lately about "blown" or "rebuilt" 5EAT's lately. The people who blew them up are complete and utter morons. Under no way, shape or form should the Auto tranny in our legacy's have any issues with a full Stage 2 setup and handling the power. The abuse comes in when the person behind the wheel doesn't know how to properly drive the car in the first place.

That being said, powerbreaking to launch your car at a stop light be it in broad day or at or night trying to "see what the car's got" or in racing someone, please do me and others on the road a favor by not doing it.

are you kidding me? good luck cutting a decent 60' in an auto without powerbraking.

powerbraking is not excessively dangerous, IF you follow a few conditions (after all, aren't all pro-stock cars using built autos with transbrakes?)

keep the powerbraking UNDER the stock stall.

flashing down from 3500 to 2600 is VERY bad for the transmission.

use a transmission cooler!

hot fluid kills clutchpacks.

are you kidding me? good luck cutting a decent 60' in an auto without powerbraking.

powerbraking is not excessively dangerous, IF you follow a few conditions (after all, aren't all pro-stock cars using built autos with transbrakes?)

keep the powerbraking UNDER the stock stall.

flashing down from 3500 to 2600 is VERY bad for the transmission.

use a transmission cooler!

hot fluid kills clutchpacks.

Still dangerous to someone not capable of pulling a "good" powerbrake launch. Besides the fact that the car and the tranny aren't meant for that type of abuse.

0-60 time just shove the car into sport and let the car do the rest otherwise, relying on Subaru to warranty repair your car because you were either at the dragstrip trying to get a better 1/4 time or street racing someone probably isn't going to get fixed.

Chris..... here's the moral of the story, don't be a dumb ass and powerbreak-launch your car.... period. Just don't do it. if you've noticed there has been about 2-4 threads lately about "blown" or "rebuilt" 5EAT's lately. The people who blew them up are complete and utter morons. Under no way, shape or form should the Auto tranny in our legacy's have any issues with a full Stage 2 setup and handling the power. The abuse comes in when the person behind the wheel doesn't know how to properly drive the car in the first place.

That being said, powerbreaking to launch your car at a stop light be it in broad day or at or night trying to "see what the car's got" or in racing someone, please do me and others on the road a favor by not doing it.

My guess is you don't race at a track (dragstrip) much.

I think he is just trying to say if you dont want issues, dont powerbreak, and thats what i was trying to say. Heck launching in a stick all the time can break the tranny too. Im with swp-legacy gt, Im not going to power break, because I dont want to break my tranny, and I dont drag race, so no need for it.

Chris

Doing this with your daily driver is dumb...remember me when you are taking the bus one day while your car is in the shop. If you want to drag race (beat the snot out of) a car, have the common sense to buy a hobby car and do it at the track. You get what you deserve when you break machinery using it in a way it was not originally intended (designed) to be used.
It is still ugly.

i've drag raced and autocrossed my daily driver since day one. going on 2 yrs now. no issues what so ever. however, when the time comes and i do break my tranny from something I'VE done, then i don't expect SOA to pay for it. why would they? i also drive 85% of the time in my car due to my field of work. 27K miles on it so far, almost all city.

powerbraking is fine as long as it's within or less than 2800 rpms. just don't recommend going over kill at 4000 rpm (like i did on the one launch) because that's where you will break things. i was fortunate i didn't break the car, however, if i had... hubby would be pissed since not only would i be needing to fix my car, but he'd not be getting his STI as planned for April.

and i do plan to get another vehicle so i have one to drive on a daily basis vs this one. that way i can turn this car more into a track/motorsports/fun car than my usual daily driver.

i definitely don't recommend power launching your car at ever stop light, stop sign, etc. however, doing it every so often to help build up a little boost will not KILL the car. if you take a look at the people who've killed their trannies, they have not only modified the car, but did not have a tranny cooler, were in higher temp areas, etc. it's the HEAT that kills these cars more than anything. i happen to live in an area where the air is denser than normal, i'm more sea level, cooler air, etc. i now added the tranny cooler just as an added safety. only time will tell if i do blow my car up after the STI swap.

are you kidding me?

the car isn't meant to accelerate in a straight line for 1/4 of a mile?

what CAN it do then?

Doing this with your daily driver is dumb...remember me when you are taking the bus one day while your car is in the shop. If you want to drag race (beat the snot out of) a car, have the common sense to buy a hobby car and do it at the track. You get what you deserve when you break machinery using it in a way it was not originally intended (designed) to be used.

LOL. i ran 13.63 at the track on gutted OEM pipes and a stage 2 AP tune. to say this car IS NOT made for any kind of performance, than someone needs to inform the marketing department! ;) 0-60 mph in under 6 sec should NOT be used as a selling point for the LGT anymore! ;) nor should they even consider selling the LGT Sti version or Spec B since the car isn't made for such performance. :lol:

are you kidding me?

the car isn't meant to accelerate in a straight line for 1/4 of a mile?

what CAN it do then?

I am talking about all the a$$hats who think they are John Force and REPEATEDLY beat on the car and then cry to momma when the damn thing breaks. Then they have the audacity to expect someone else (manufacturer's warranty) to pay for it. If you're gonna play like a man (sorry trdvibe), then have the balls to shut the eff up and pay to have it fixed and don't be bitchin' and moanin' how you got screwed because your car isn't bulletproof and the manufacturer is incompetent because they couldn't design something that could withstand your ham-handed abuse. Your car is transportation, not a purpose-built racing machine.

It is still ugly.

well, if you're gonna play, then expect to pay. ;) as they say, gotta pay to play. but yes, i see what you're saying. don't be a wuss and start crying when you do something that screws up your car. take it like a man, and pay for it! it's YOUR fault! as i said, i may not have balls, but i take responsibility for my own actions.

he he.. i have a tshirt:

if i had balls, they'd sure as hell be bigger than yours!

:lol:

Sub 8 sec 1/8th mile times are sooooo much fun;)

Simply do all the suggested AT maintenance upgrades & the occasional trip to the track will not hurt @ all.....

Hoping to hit 95 for a trap speed before the end of the month;)

Keep the launch to around 2500 & you will be fine

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

We have a transmission fluid temperature idiot light on the dash. Anyone ever made it come on? I would hope it would preceed a failure.

I've power-braked many times. Never for more than a second or two though.

We have a transmission fluid temperature idiot light on the dash. Anyone ever made it come on? I would hope it would preceed a failure.

I've power-braked many times. Never for more than a second or two though.

Also curious. This whole issue gets me nervous. I have never tq braked my car. I have newly gone stage 2, but this stuff still scares me.

I generally baby my car, but why buy a semi-quick turbocharged car if your not gonna use it?

I've sent a few e-mails out to some auto-experts and waiting for replies. Mostly I think the failures are happeneing because of boiling ATF, however other people have stated our transfer case is weak. The lazy shifts don't help either.

Right now I'm thinking tranny cooler, valve body mod and highstall tq converter and possibly some new hoses.

Anybody want to trade, my 5eat for your 5mt:(

Archived