LegacyGT.com

Automatic transmission

Italian32984

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think anyone is disputing what you like to do to your car Oscar. I think as a whole, people like yourself are in the minority on the board. What I classify as you doing as "stupid" you call a "hobby". You bought the LGT to race/break/fix/repair/break again/fix/tweak and tune. That's great that you have the passion to do that.

For us others, who use our LGT's as our DD's (Daily Drivers) we don't have the luxury.

I think it's the difference between what you want from the car and that is always going to cause a clash in opinions based on what we're using the car for.

Me personally, I want a powerful, controlled DD that can usually pace/beat most of the standard sub-$30k sports sedans out there that handles nicely and has a smooth ride. Yours obviously differs but again, it's what YOU want from the car.

and that is your opinion. so should i call you stupid just because i may not completely agree with your opinion? no. you are entitled to how you drive your car and what you want from it.

my car is my daily driver. i drive 85% for my business. without my car, i am screwed. this is WHY i have to tone down my driving until i A. have a third vehicle (lease a new business vehicle) or B. set aside the money for a new tranny. all in all, i do plan to run my LegaSTi at the track once or twice just to get an idea of what she can do and i plan to continue autocrossing. I run the risk of killing my car on the drag strip more than autocross, however, i believe by toning down the power launching, it is not much different than stepping on the gas from the lights. it's an automatic. i slap it into sport shift and stand on the gas from the third amber light. i'll let it idle to about 2200 rpm (just to be extremely cautious) and see what the car now does. i know what it was capable of doing before the swap, now i am curious on what it does now.

if that is dumb to you, then well.. sorry. i find just driving a turbo'd vehicle that is modified dumb if all you do it drive it from point A to point B. these cars were actually made to be driven more than just to the grocery store. but that's your perogative, so i'm fine with it. that's why i have MY car and you have YOUR car. ;)

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

and that is your opinion. so should i call you stupid just because i may not completely agree with your opinion? no. you are entitled to how you drive your car and what you want from it.

my car is my daily driver. i drive 85% for my business. without my car, i am screwed. this is WHY i have to tone down my driving until i A. have a third vehicle (lease a new business vehicle) or B. set aside the money for a new tranny. all in all, i do plan to run my LegaSTi at the track once or twice just to get an idea of what she can do and i plan to continue autocrossing. I run the risk of killing my car on the drag strip more than autocross, however, i believe by toning down the power launching, it is not much different than stepping on the gas from the lights. it's an automatic. i slap it into sport shift and stand on the gas from the third amber light. i'll let it idle to about 2200 rpm (just to be extremely cautious) and see what the car now does. i know what it was capable of doing before the swap, now i am curious on what it does now.

if that is dumb to you, then well.. sorry. i find just driving a turbo'd vehicle that is modified dumb if all you do it drive it from point A to point B. these cars were actually made to be driven more than just to the grocery store. but that's your perogative, so i'm fine with it. that's why i have MY car and you have YOUR car. ;)

Well it's nice that someone finally gets the overall point of this thread. Nicely said Vibe. :)

Chris..... here's the moral of the story, don't be a dumb ass and powerbreak-launch your car.... period. Just don't do it. if you've noticed there has been about 2-4 threads lately about "blown" or "rebuilt" 5EAT's lately. The people who blew them up are complete and utter morons. Under no way, shape or form should the Auto tranny in our legacy's have any issues with a full Stage 2 setup and handling the power. The abuse comes in when the person behind the wheel doesn't know how to properly drive the car in the first place.

That being said, powerbreaking to launch your car at a stop light be it in broad day or at or night trying to "see what the car's got" or in racing someone, please do me and others on the road a favor by not doing it.

Wow, and you agree with what vibe said? I don't get how your first post in this thread is anything like her post.

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Wow, and you agree with what vibe said? I don't get how your first post in this thread is anything like her post.

Yeah, SWP is saying one thing, then another.

He says im"stupid" for breaking my car, because thats not how he likes to drive?

K, if thats how it is, then i say your stupid for modding and and not doing any form of racing what so ever. THATS MY OPINION, like you said right?

You can't just call someone stupid because of something you don't like. You don't run this country, and have no right to call anyone stupid because there actions differ from yours. My opinion, i dont see how your right at all for calling anyone stupid, simple as that.

Oscar

This thread is getting heated. There are a fair amount of 5eat lgts who use their car for DD and track use. But for most of the people this is their dd. (like me)

I'm glad I don't powerbrake at all, hopefully my tranny will thank me. Yes, it is a point to say that your driving habits have a lot to do with how long the tranny lasts, but can we at least come to the conclusion that this tranny is not exactly strong.

I'm not saying it is weak though because it can support the infiniti Q56 (390 tq at 3500). It probably works in this truck because it is driven a lot less agressively then people drive there leggy's from this board.

but why bother getting a awd+turbo car and then mod it, if you don't want to play? :)

This thread is getting heated. There are a fair amount of 5eat lgts who use their car for DD and track use. But for most of the people this is their dd. (like me)

I'm glad I don't powerbrake at all, hopefully my tranny will thank me. Yes, it is a point to say that your driving habits have a lot to do with how long the tranny lasts, but can we at least come to the conclusion that this tranny is not exactly strong.

I'm not saying it is weak though because it can support the infiniti Q56 (390 tq at 3500). It probably works in this truck because it is driven a lot less agressively then people drive there leggy's from this board.

but why bother getting a awd+turbo car and then mod it, if you don't want to play? :)

Well said.

I wash my hands of this thread...

Oscar

Yes I agree. I agree that my opinion of people that powerbrake launch their cars risk trashing the tranny. Am I driving their car? No. The difference being I have my opinion on how there driving it and they have their opinion on how I drive mine.

Overall I could care less about if they break their tranny and have to get it repaired due to how they drive it. My statements still stand that I think it's stupid to brakelaunch your 5EAT but who the F cares what I say... It's your car, go drive it however you want. I'm not making the payments on it, I'm not paying the repair bills, I don't know what mods you have on it.

What Vibe was saying is that the opinion matters most to the person driving the car and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

I'm seriously done with this thread now and everyone else should be too.

yes, i think the horse is dead and it's been kicked several times now.... the stench is getting bad. :lol:

when the day is over, you all have a fantastic Valentine's Day, make sure you tell your loved ones that you love them! ;)

he he... group hug! :D

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived