LegacyGT.com

Colorado Subaru Track Day

praedet

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

note, for those who have slotted rotors, you may want to think about changing back to stock rotors or blank rotors to make your brake pads last longer.. this past weekend with my hard driving, I managed to waste away a brand spanking new set of front track pads (Carbotech XP16s) in 2 sessions while using the DBA 4000 slotted rotors on stock power and r-compounds.

The Carbotechs were so rotor-friendly (no grooving or any formed lip on the rotor at all) but the slots just ate away the pads like a kid eating away holloween candy.

Keefe

^ doubt it, they have better things to do.. even if your car was completely stock, it doesnt mean anything to the warranty if you drove hard on a public road or on a track.. you could have easily voided the warranty with any kind of hard driving, it doesnt have to be on the track.

it's mitsubitshi that you would have to worry about.

Keefe

Hey everyone, I got tied up getting our Rally Car ready for 100 Acre Wood over the last week and a half or so, and haven't sent out any registration forms yet. I will try to get them out to you by the end of next week, if not sooner.

Long story short, don't panic, there is plenty of time before the event to get these sent out and back:icon_mrgr

Jon C.

^ it's a turn that you could just make the commitment of turning the steering wheel and then it's almostly immediately that you straighten out the wheel well before the apex and basically have the throttle 90% pegged.. the car will rotate but not to the point where you need to counter-steer to catch the drift.. you are basically just balancing the car perfectly to turn AND go fast through the turn without having the wheel cocked to turn or to countersteer.. that is neutral steering.. the car is constantly pointing in the correct direction which is capable of doing based on throttle steering or trail braking methods..

trail braking is the actual instance when you are transitioning of coming off the brakes.. as you are coming off the brakes, you are adding in steering.. this is how you maximize the tire's capable grip (which is 100%).. some others also call this part of "open loop" driving [not to be confused with engine management tuning definition].

A tire can only give you 100% grip (hence the "traction circle".. you can google that up). The simple formula for explaining about grip for a tire is:

% Grip (total tire grip at 100% for maximum efficiency) = % longitudinal grip (braking or accelerating) + % lateral grip (left turn or right turn)

As you are slowly getting off the brakes from 100% usage down to say 90% usage, that means you still have 10% of the tires grip.. well, that 10% should used for the little bit of turning the wheel to the direction you want to go...

if you turn too much (say 20%), that means with 90% + 20% turning, you are asking the tires to translate your 110% that the tires wont give you.. so since if this is the case, you will get understeer as you are either braking too hard or that you are turning too much. Once you understand how to balance the car using the steering wheel, brakes and throttle, you will see that aggressive trail braking (basically exaggerating the motion) will result in a situation where you can pivot the car on the front tires and let the rear end swing out to rotate the car. Most beginner high performance drivers won't learn this in the early stages are you will probably be taught in a very methodical way where you don't blend so much of the throttle AND turning at the same time. Instead, it will be more like "brake, THEN turn, then gas, and now straighten out the wheel" sort of procedure.. once you understand the basic steps of car control and performance driving, you will see later that you will be able to start adding the in-between detailed steps of transitioning from braking into the steering input in a way that will make the car perform closer to the limit as well as more fluid from one section to the next.

this also applies the opposite for acceleration for oversteering where you are adding throttle too much or that you adding too much steering into the turnin to pitch the car around.

Keefe

^^^

I'm afraid my mortal mind is unable to comprehend that useful information.

Sounds to much like the theory taught in Gran Turismo, and the last thing I want to do is try to apply anything I learned in that game to real life.

-Jim

(AKA 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0)

^^^

I'm afraid my mortal mind is unable to comprehend that useful information.

Sounds to much like the theory taught in Gran Turismo, and the last thing I want to do is try to apply anything I learned in that game to real life.

in actuality, everything in real driving and dynamics can be applied into GT.. it's just that you dont have that sensation of motion, instead, your ears and eyes are the bigger roles when playing GT.

When it comes to the track driving, those theories of late braking, threshold braking, and smooth inputs actually are the critical points of driving well.. training your eyes to tell you where to go and for how much is a huge factor.. thinking ahead.

Keefe

• 4 weeks later...
They haven't been sent out yet Keefe...

Does Carbotech make pads for the Stoptech calipers?

they should, do you know the backing plate number/type that your stoptechs use? If you dont know that number, call/email Eric @ Brakeswap.com and he'll get you a set of whatever you need.

Are you planning to run Stoptechs in June????

Keefe

Archived