LegacyGT.com

Colorado Subaru Track Day

praedet

Yeah, I know it's the result of going fast. Believe me, I could've taken my car airborne several times, but I don't wanna f*ck anything up by doing so. I actually kept an eye on my speed over the rise just before the parking lot entrance, making sure I wasn't over 90mph to avoid air damage.

Ted, did you take your wagon airborne at all? I was nervous to.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I know it's the result of going fast. Believe me, I could've taken my car airborne several times, but I don't wanna f*ck anything up by doing so. I actually kept an eye on my speed over the rise just before the parking lot entrance, making sure I wasn't over 90mph to avoid air damage.

Ted, did you take your wagon airborne at all? I was nervous to.

Nah, you won't.. not on that "jump". As you start to add more and more speed, you can tell how the suspension reacts from the last lap. I;m sure even if the car was hitting over 125 mph, the stock suspension is soo soft that it'll be fine. I think Ted got some air just like I did.

Keefe

Any word on them doing this again? I would love to have been out there!

I think I heard Jon say that when he put this event together 5 mos. ago, he had only 3 dates left to choose from for the CSP track, so it looks like the next event will be next year (for Flatirons tuning anyway). Hopefully with the great response to this event, they will consider putting on at least two events next year? I'd be up for that! I'd actually like to continue lessons with Pettiford (and build a track car, something not as pretty as the Leggie;)).

I think I heard Jon say that when he put this event together 5 mos. ago, he had only 3 dates left to choose from for the CSP track, so it looks like the next event will be next year (for Flatirons tuning anyway). Hopefully with the great response to this event, they will consider putting on at least two events next year? I'd be up for that! I'd actually like to continue lessons with Pettiford (and build a track car, something not as pretty as the Leggie;)).

do you know if they have in-car instruction with their other events?

Keefe

Yeah :D

Here is my dive under threshold braking. Not bad I think :D

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/Track%20Day/Braking2.jpg

And here is my body roll compared to a WRX on Springs :D

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/Track%20Day/Cornering1.jpg

And lastly, here is the body roll on the same corner taken faster since the WRX is not in the way :lol:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/Track%20Day/cornering4.jpg

Thanks Steve :D

:spin:

there's still some in the car (it's really still pronounced if you drive it). It's really noticable with the Hoosiers that he was on.. if it was on street tires, you wouldnt get that much. i think in the pics because the wheels are so dark, it's harder to see the wheel gap in the fender.
Keefe

Nice pics guys! Wish I coulda been there, but I knew I was going to be out of town on business when it was scheduled........I will definately try to mak it to the next one though.

Later, Ben.

I guess body roll is relative :lol:

Compared to stock, or the WRX, or and LGT on Springs, I am almost nil. Compared to Keefe's car on VERY hard springs or my wife's car, there is some. I think it is about perfect for everyday driving :D

:spin:

Nah, you won't.. not on that "jump".

Won't get damage? Well Pettiford, or someone, most certainly left deep gouges in the road after the rise. I doubt my Subaru would like me for that (Again, I'm the voice of your Subaru's, lol. While Pettiford was making excellent points there. The whole "speaking for the cars" thing got a lil dorky the more it was repeated. Made me chuckle a bit.).

Anyone heading out to Cobb's event with Flatirons?

Where can I find more info on this event?

Edit: OK, just found the link. Seek and thou shall find!

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

Won't get damage? Well Pettiford, or someone, most certainly left deep gouges in the road after the rise. I doubt my Subaru would like me for that (Again, I'm the voice of your Subaru's, lol. While Pettiford was making excellent points there. The whole "speaking for the cars" thing got a lil dorky the more it was repeated. Made me chuckle a bit.).

The gouges actually are the ones that people lift right before they jump. When that happens, the car does a nose dive when it's in the air. If you read up on Rally driving in the dirt with hills and stuff (or stunt driving for that matter), you don't lift, you keep your foot to the floor. This keeps the car from going into a nose dive. By keeping the car throttled-on, you are making the car squat in the rear causing the front of the nose of the car pointed in the air.

Personally, I dont know why Pettiford would tell anyone to lift as you come up to the hill, you should be steady with the throttle as you come over the hill. Besides, lifting is for panies :p

In all seriousness, Mike is right about how you have to be sensitive enough to know what the car is telling you. The problem is that there's no instructor in the world that can help you to translate some that stuff. They can point out as many things as they can, but ultimately the driver has to open up to listening to different things, feel for different things, and see different things. It's all about breaking out of the convention and compliance of how things work. Just how you told me that you dont know if the brake pads you have were ever that good because you never had to use the brakes like that before. If you were to go back to stock pads and did a few hard stops in the open freeway and you will end up feeling the difference.. As you start to learn how to approach the limit of the car, you will soon notice that the little things you do you will have a dramatic impact of what the car can get from you. I use to teach and practice simple 300' skid pads. I would drive around and around in a circle, teaching myself how much I can steer and maintain a perfect circle.. and you'l learn as you try to drive faster and faster, the car will just want to understeer, thus it will teach you that in order to make the car turn more on its own, you need to lessen the steering out to maintain the speed or slow down. In the racing world, we always try to go as fast, so by default, most of us will unwind the wheel when we feel understeering comes into play or countersteer automatically when we feel oversteer.

Keefe

Archived