LegacyGT.com

Warning:Those with STi Brembo's...

edmundu

I went to remove my caliper's, to get my rotor's cleaned up for my new pads, and to my utter amazement...I managed to snap one of the grade 10 19mm bolts!! The other, I heated, and it took the threads with it. Same thing for the other side, both of them took the threads with it, after heating.

I am in the process of having a machine shop, carefully, drill out the broken bolt, and also redrill the other holes, for Helicoil inserts. Supposedly these inserts will actually have more strength than the originals. And that because they are stainless, this should not happen again! I will be using some anti-seize along with it.

For those that thought I should have had antiseize on to begin with, you're right! I always thought antiseize shouldn't be used on brake mounting hardware, but in this case it should have....Learn from my mistake, and ensure you have antiseize on the bolts.

My car is obviously out of commission for a few days, and boy do I miss it already...

I went to remove my caliper's, to get my rotor's cleaned up for my new pads, and to my utter amazement...I managed to snap one of the grade 10 19mm bolts!! The other, I heated, and it took the threads with it. Same thing for the other side, both of them took the threads with it, after heating.

Did the bolt shear at the threads or did it rip the threads out of the aluminum bracket?

If the aluminum corroded and the threads seized, I can see how the threads in the aluminum would come out but I'm not sure why the bolt would snap. The aluminum bracket should be substantially weaker than the bolt.

Are the bolts really grade 10? I'm not that familiar with automotive grade bolts (<160ksi), but I have only seen grade 8 in English units and class 10.9 in metric.

Do you have a picture of the head of the failed bolt and the failure location?

Mickeyd2005- The one bolt sheared/snapped right where the thread starts. The first 12mm is not threaded, the bolt is stamped with a 10, and is 37mm long. It goes into a 12mm 1.5 threaded hole, pretty beefy.

I think the cold may have had something to do with it, also these bolts were used and perhaps partially fatigued, and finally by slowly torqueing it with a 2' breaker bar it just let go. The other's wold have, but I used heat to soften the aluminum, so that the threads would be sacrificed, rather than snapping anymore bolts. Much easier to helicoil an open hole, than with a broken bolt stuck in it.

Tommyh- Don't let this keep you from picking up Brembo's. Just be sure to use new bolts & antiseize.

I am always bit leery about antiseize on critical stuff... but what do I know.

Think good idea to put anti-seize on stock caliber bolts?

Stripped threads and snapped bolts is the worst nightmare of shadetree mechanics...

You're right Rob, but I don't have any easy way to secure the caliper, and drill perfectly straight. Especially the one with the broken bolt.

I use 2 torque wrenches to cover specs for any bolt, and torque to specs, which on these were 114ft/lbs.

Unclemat - the bolts have lock washer's on them, so backing out wouldn't pose any issues.

Where did you get those torque specs?

I know this may not be exactly relevant, but there isn't a single bolt on the stock calipers that has a torque spec higher than 59ft-lbs.

You're right not relevant here, as these are Sti Brembo's, totally different specs as compared to LGT sliding caliper's.

I got the torque specs straight from the FSM for STI's.

Update: I have put the car back together, and the helicoils worked out great! Actually better than new, as they are SS, and stronger than the cast Aluminum threads! I did use anti-seize this time, along with fresh new bolts and torqued to specs.

This should never be an issue again:) !

Note: IF you find that the bolts are frozen/locked in place. DO NOT attempt to break them free! Instead, gently heat the caliper mounts, to soften the Aluminum, and this obviously will strip the threads, but it is much easier to drill out & tap an intact hole, than trying to first remove a broken bolt. If you come across this situation, you will be helicoiling one way or another, so you might as well make it as easy as possible.

Archived