1. 1. What should I buy next

• 2003 Evolution
    • 2003 350z
    • 2000-01 s2000
    • 1999-02 LS1 SS
    • 2006 WRX TR
    • 2005 RSX Type S
    • 2005 Legacy GT

Alright well I have decided to sell the SRT-4 and I am looking into new cars, I love my SRT-4 very much but I feel that I want/need different things out of a car. I owe $11,800 on my 05 SRT-4 and planned on getting my credit card debt out of the way and then moving on to another car, just not another SRT-4. I love the power and it is going to be hard to replace but here is the list of cars I have been considering, I have ruled out RWD cars because they seem too unrealistic for Maine weather even if the snow fall has cut down.

2005-06 RSX Type S: I think they look amazing and feel really nice, built very well and can put down a good 215-220whp with an intake, race header, exhaust and hondata but they are not cheap, you can get a 2005 with 20-30,000 miles for $18-19000. I don't know if I can justify the price when for a couple grand more I could have a used EVO.

2006 WRX TR: The AWD is awsome to have, no more wheel spin and I hear you can get low 13's out of the 06 WRXs with some minor bolt ons, they look alot nicer than the 02-05 WRXs and I hear they are built stronger, the problem is they are still $20,000 used which could get me a used EVO, but the WRX will have lower miles and be newer and less maintinence but I still think I'd have that "I settled when I was so close to an EVO" feeling because it's the same concept

1999-2002 LS1 SS: Sweet power, looks and sounds awsome. A car to be cocky about but the damn snow, the DAMN SNOW. Not to mention I could spend under $14,000 for one. Such a mean car until you get in the corners and have to go to the pump

2000-01 S2000: The top down, the go kart handling, nice looking car and did I mention the summer would be great? BUT only the summer? the DAMN SNOW the DAMN SNOW. $14-17,000. Not to mention I heard they blow motors and the transmissions are poor.

2003 350z: Nice, attractive, simple decent powered RWD car. Can be had for $16-19000 with 30-40k but I hear they have major transmission issues and they are indeed not very fast, but far from boring. BUT, the DAMN SNOW the DAMN SNOW

2005 Legacy GT: Nice looking but kinda bland, still quick and has mod potential but would I always wish I had an EVO instead? YESSS! SNOW, that DAMN SNOW! AWD! But more expensive $19-20,000k (I could just buy and EVO)

I ran out of cars to consider, I think inevitably I have to go with something good for all seasons even though having an LS1 is tempting because its cheap even with low miles, pure meany alluminim block and sexy as hell. Then there is the EVO, expensive to maintain, not very reliable or cheap to fix but such a sick car. I don't know what to shoot for. Tell me what you think and why.

First off you said no rwd which automatically takes the SS, the S2000, and the 350Z off the list.

RSX

There are nice enough car, but insurance will be higher then say a Civic cause it is an Acura and is priced were younger people could afford and wreck a lot of them. You also have a naturally aspirated car which means to get any rmore real power out of it you'll need to add a turbo or supercharger to notice a major difference. Out of your choices this would be probably one of the higher luxury like cars.

LGT

More grown up car from the rest. Has mod potential and can get some noticable differences with some simple things. As compared to the rest of your choices its probably going to be cheaper then most for insurance. Awd for snow duty. Can seat you friends for going places (which can be a good or bad thing). It definately doesn't have that boy racer feel to it. Its also a toss up between the RSX and this as to which one is more luxury. Also out of your list this is probably the least likely to have been beaten on or tracked. Also it would have factory warranty on it.

Wrx TR

Still kind of a boy racer type car. Interior is dated looking. You'd be looking at a strippo type of car which you may or may not want. There are tons of Wrx's out there. Insurance may be high due to a lot of younger people having and wrecking them. Its awd which is good in snow, 230hp, and has out of the others got a huge aftermarket out there for it. I also think subies are a lot more reliable then a Mitsu. Being a 06 it would also have factory warranty on it.

Evo VIII

I too looked at these way back when. Yeah its awd and quick. It also felt more nimble then an Sti. The basic engine has been around for a long time so the aftermarket is definately there. Supposedly they are also easier and cheaper to mod then a subie. Its also awd. However an 03 would be about of basic warranty. Insurance is going to be high due to lot of them being wrecked and high costs of repair. I just felt Evo's as having a cheapness about them. The interior screams rental car. The exterior screams boy racer. I've heard of a lot of blown engines on them too. I would also say out of your choices this is the car that gets tracked and beat on the most. I also have a friend that says his gets real bad gas mileage.(15mpg mixed driving). However this seems to be the car you are looking for everyone to tell you to get.............

If you want the Evo get the Evo.

I previously wanted an Evo before the LGT, and an RSX before the Evo.

I ended up wanting the LGT (I still don't have one yet), because I like its sport-luxury.

The Evo is very racer-ish and a great performance car. I wanted, however, something that I could appreciate inside and out. As you know, the interior of the Evo is pretty spartan. Plus, I don't think my parents would approve of the Evo, while with the Legacy my parents won't freak out if I bring one home.

The RSX is a very nice car, but after being introduced to the Evo, I didn't want a FWD car.

In the end, the Legacy had everything I wanted in a car. It's fairly quick, turbo, AWD, the interior is nice, the exterior is sleeper-status. I would like having something others don't have, but still have it be appreciated.

-ben

I have driven a boosted rsx before and it still didnt feel like it had any torque. I cant stand honda motors because of that. I say you test drive every single one of those cars and make ur choice from there. It is a wide spectrum of car choices.

you still haven't said if you wanted to focus more on pure performance or balance it out with GT style comfort and cruising. Also how much price is a factor.

If you want to go all out performance - get the Evo

if you want more reliability and keep price down - get the WRX TR

if you want to balance things out with more stealth and luxury - get the LGT

Ed

Depends on what you really want. These cars all vary in different ways.

Exactly.

All you choices are either sports-car-biased like the 350Z or S2000 or rally pocket rocket sedans like the Evo or STi. The Legacy is the only large sports sedan in the whole mix.

Evaluating your needs and tailoring them to your car is what's key. Can you live with 2 seats and small trunks, sacrificing some comfort for a more sporting character? If so, get a RWD sports car. I forget where you live, but if you have some long cold winters, I would suggest the Legacy or WRX.

Well out of all those cars, if you picked the Legacy, you would at least have the safest car. ;)

I remember the IIHS test on the Neon. One word, SCARY.

yep the crash safety ratings on the neon chassis is horrible, i still remember seeing pics of those crash dummies in neons having their legs and waists crushed in those front impact tests. very chilling

Ed

My wife has the RSX (non-type S) and I have the new Legacy GT. Ironically, the insurance rates the two very similarly (despite the Legacy's safety rating).

From a torque perspective, my wife hates it. She complains it's slow off the line and has no power. She LOVES the power the Legacy has along with its sure-footedness in the rain. I agree that it just seems like her car has no power and is sluggsh.

Interior-wise, the RSX is plasticky, the Legacy is quite a bit nicer for sure. And those RSX seats are no where near as comfortable either. Especially on long drives.

Now i have to wrestle the keys away from her in the mornings.

350z transmissions have issues, also to small inside.

Friend RSX TypeS was fun to drive stock and very reliable but kinda expensive

EVO- INSURANCE, thanks to dumb 16 year old rich kids who can't drive, but I would still love to own one someday. So much potential.

S2000/350z/Camaro- if it's your only car you won't won't RWD imo, depending on the area you live.

WRX - front end takes getting used to but I feel that the LGT looks much better

LGT luxury and insurance! It would of been $1000 more every 6 months to have an STi over the 07 LGT I bought.

It's an LGT forum but I just got mine and came from 2 previous 2 dr sport cars (2nd gen Eclipse and twin turbo 3000GT) Definately happy w/ my decision.

-David

Go for the BIG POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_twis LS1 SS has 320 hp stock and you could modify to 500 whp easy.

Yes it will suck on gas, but who cares? You have 500 whp!!!

But honestly, what is important to you? For raw power and speed, the SS gets the nod. If you want better handling, stealth mode operation and good speed to boot, go with the LGT.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Archived