LegacyGT.com

Drop in Filter Reccomendations

chikmagnet

What Drop in Filter Do You Own or Like  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What Drop in Filter Do You Own or Like

First off, don't expect measurable performance gains from a drop-in. That said, I have gone with my old standby for the last 35 years.......a K&N. They work, and are easily maintained. Frankly, the concept of a filter that can be cleaned with soap & water, and has no other method of trapping dirt will either (1) allow more dirt to flow, or (2 will be a restriction, as it will need to be denser to stop minute particles. The K&N is a proven commodity.

Cleaning a K&N is a simple process, and only needs to be done every 40-50K in normal conditions, and I have gone 20-25K i dusty conditions. I basically get them for my vehicles as I have the cleaning/oiling materias handy and it's easier than buying new filters every year.

Ron

I haven't seen an AVO up close, but it sounds like it is constructed of the same type of cotton mesh as a K&N. The oil film helps the K&N perform it's filtering work on very low micron contaminants, and yet can flow a lot. If you have a filter with the same basic construction and no oil, it seems the (1) it either lets through much bigger articles, or (2) if it doesn't, it would have to be more restrictive by design to filter them out.

Much like some of the fine woven stainless mesh filters out there. I would never put one of those on any engine I own.

Ron

I have tested the AVO panel against the OEM paper, in filtering ability, as well as performance. The oil analysis consistently showed the AVO on a par with the OEM paper in filtering. And in my datalogging, it showed to be a little less restrictive at lower MAF volts, and at higher volts they both outflowed the air needs of the engine.

I also used the Avo to put down 340whp in 90* summer heat! It really is a great filter, and although it does look similar to the K&N, it is not.

There was a thread quite sometime ago, where a guy "Spicer" (I think) did a very detailed test of a bunch of aftermarket filters for the trucking industry...primarily for large diesel engines. His test was done to determine flow, filtering, retriction at various flow speeds etc etc. AVO was not part of the test, but K&N ranked as 2nd worst on the market:icon_mad: It had very low restriction and high flow,,,,,but almost no filtering at all....it stopped small birds and medium sized pebbles :icon_mrgr

I'll add the link if I can find it later. Here it is....http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

To look at the test and say that the K&N had "almost no filtering at all" is not accurate. The trade-off has always been between flow and filtering, and this test just confirms that.

FWIW, I ran a K&N (panel then cone) on my '89 SHO from about a year after I bought it new, until I sold it when it was 10 years old with 182K miles. This engine saw the 7K redline multiple times daily, and was driven hard it's entire life. My buddy in Chicago bought it. He still drives it, the car has about 220K miles, and burns less than a quart every 3K oil change. That told me all I needed to know, and confirmed my usage of K&Ns that I started many years ago.

Ron

There will always be tests to support differing claims....

I for one like to use the oil analysis' of people's actual experiences in all kinds of conditions, and circumstances. They have shown that K&N, when properly oiled, and serviced had little to no effect on increased silicone levels in the oil, which is a primary indicator of filtering ability.

The only real knock with any oiled filter, is with too much saturation, the oil will gum up the fine MAF sensor wire/film. Which usually can be corrected with some cleaner, and in rare cases need replacing.

I just like the AVO better, because it is dry technology, less mess, no kits to have on hand to clean, re-oil.

Archived