LegacyGT.com

Headlight disassembly. *&@$#*&

GTTuner

I decided to do some mod's to my headlights.

HOW THE &@%!V DO YOU GET THE BUTYL TAPE APART WITHOUT WRECKING THE HOUSING!!!!! :(

Pardon my frustration, but those things are stuck together like they had one fall apart once!

Any tricks or tips for pulling the lens's off would be helpful.

Thanks

Thanks guys. I did consider putting them in the oven for a bit, but my wife was bitching about the transmission in the bath tub!:lol:

I was horified at how strong that sealer is. All I want to do is remove the reflectors, put some LED's in for the signals and paint the greay areas black.

Opinions please: Should I use flat black paint or gloss? I was considering using

that new plastic paint. No prep is necessary except for degreasing and tack down. I'm not sure if gloss or flat would look/function better.

Thanks for the link pwdrdayz!

I'm making mine in two a relaxed two-day project and I went to chose bulbs today... I went with the silverstar turn signals which have a silver-blueish appearance and light up amber... I will post pics in my thread when I'm finished.

Can't wait to see yours too... I don't see the grey areas you're talking about.

Holy detailed write-up... nice job! I'm too satisfied with the stock projectors to go and do something like that... I only wanted the cleared out lights so there was no disruption to the GRP/chrome/black color scheme.

And I had much more luck starting from the amber end heating the seam on the corner and prying with the turn signal hole and the top outside attachment point as places to grab. But... he's probably done by now anyway!

Holy detailed write-up... nice job! I'm too satisfied with the stock projectors to go and do something like that... I only wanted the cleared out lights so there was no disruption to the GRP/chrome/black color scheme.

And I had much more luck starting from the amber end heating the seam on the corner and prying with the turn signal hole and the top outside attachment point as places to grab. But... he's probably done by now anyway!

reason i say start from the inner side is becuase most end up messing the housing up from prying, so if you do it only there you won't see it.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Awesome advice. The oven method works great. Thank you everyone.

BTW.....Underdog, yours is an 06 and I think the entire light is chrome. The 05's were similar to a dark argent grey around the reflectors.

Silver stars, I have them too. They will shine a nice blueish hue once the reflectors are gone. Good luck, and take your time! My car is down fore the weekend. I got one light apart last night. The look on my wifes face when I pulled the light out of the oven was priceless.

Archived