Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even better - check out: http://www.fit-pc.com/new/

R.

That looks to be more of a smoothwall PC solution rather than for a carputer. The actual PC itself is way too slow, only 256MB ram sucks, and the fact that it has 2 lan adapters...

That EEe PC or whatever is a perfect solution though and I may someday upgrade to that... But for now i'll have to roll with my M10000. :)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

oop, they said its a "green" pc.. sorry, no longer interested. :p:lol: j/k I have to give the "green" movement a hard time..I switched to CFLs before it was cool to do so.. cos it was CHEAP LIGHT.

interesting unit tho, wonder if that fits in the glovebox and what the power requirements are.. if I didnt already have a laptop (and you could too from my previous post ;) ) I might be more interested tho.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

At 4 3/4" x 4 1/2", and 5W power consumption -smaller than a Mac mini.

Can't comment on speed however.

Love the fact that it has no fan.

If I hadn't already purchased a pc, i might have gone for this. (cappucino pc is what I have).

So I need to eliminate my alternator whine.

I was gonna buy one of these:

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2160121w345.jpg

But I am going directly from my computer line-out, to the stock head-unit's aux line-in (in the arm rest). (All single 3.5mm jacks)

If I add a bunch of RCA -> 3.5mm cables/adapters, would that work? Only problem is, there would be SO MUCH extra cable.

Any ideas?

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Any of you guys have cooling problems?

I have a EPIA M1000 and have cooling problems in the tirewell area. Wondering if I should just buy a car specific enclosure like a VOOM

I have basically a plastic storage box with a few holes drilled into it for fans. This thing heats up and resets after about 45 minutes of usage on a 90 degree day. I moved it out of the well and just in the back of the wagon……it takes longer but still starts to reboot.

I did exactly what you're doing vsick (tire well) I had an "ampie" carputer case. It came with 2 40mm fans on it that did something like 4 cfm each. I replaced them with 2 larger fans that did something like 11cfm each. They werent noisy with the car running and only had a hum wiht the car off. Even in the GA heat I never had a problem with heat. I made a mounting platform out of wood that replaced the factory foam tray so the pc wasnt in a box or anything, it just had the platsic and carpet cover over it. The wood provided support.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Have you guys seen the new Asus EeeBox? That thing is tiny and it's cheap. The only thing to figure out is how to use a smart power supply with it. Dell has one too, but it's a little bigger and comes with Vista instead of XP, they call it the Hybrid something.

I did exactly what you're doing vsick (tire well) I had an "ampie" carputer case. It came with 2 40mm fans on it that did something like 4 cfm each. I replaced them with 2 larger fans that did something like 11cfm each. They werent noisy with the car running and only had a hum wiht the car off. Even in the GA heat I never had a problem with heat. I made a mounting platform out of wood that replaced the factory foam tray so the pc wasnt in a box or anything, it just had the platsic and carpet cover over it. The wood provided support.

Darkfox,

Are you running the M1000 also? If not, what are you running?

Any pictures of your setup?

I dont have my setup anymore, my pics are on my pc which at the moment is in pieces. I used an M1-ATX with a VIA EPIA 13000 itx board in an "ampie" case.

hey if anyone needs a lilliput remote, i found one of my old ones from years gone by. I'm not sure if these were specific to particular models, but it's the black remote, white buttons (except red power button) and red 'lilliput' across the top. If you need it, hit me up with an address and i'll drop it in the mail free of charge:)

This evening I took the winglet off of my wagon's rear door, planning to install a USB GPS antenna under it.

Bad news: that would be a real pain - there's no easy/good way to get something wired in there, as it would have to go through two layers of metal, and the area immediately under the winglet is actually exposed to the elements. There was a lot of dust under there, and it was clear that there had been a fair amount of water running under it as well.

Good news: I think the entire rear door is made of aluminum, like the hood. Magnets don't stick to it, and most importantly, my USB antenna can "see" through it just fine. I tucked the antenna under the interior trim at the top of the door, and went for a drive, and the antenna didn't have any trouble at all. I still need to route the USB cable properly now that I know for sure that this locations works, but that looks like that's going to be very easy, especially since I've already got half of the relevant trim off anyway.

what about mounting the gps antenna to the top of the bulge for the rear wiper and routing the wire through the hatch panels? It would still be inside the car but would have "sky" access.

I haven't been in a wagon so I dont know how much room there is there.. but just a thought from a guy who owned an suv for 7 years.

• 3 weeks later...
I place all my GPS receivers on the passenger side top dash. There is no need to place it anywhere else, it gets perfect reception there.

:rolleyes::lol: that screams: break inside please, I have expensive audio-video equipment installed.

I have my GPS receiver mounted underneath the A-Pillar, passenger side. Routed behind the glovebox to the PC. It's perfectly hidden, and works perfect.
If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Mine has been mounted above the trim panel at the top of the rear hatch door for about 3 weeks now, and it's worked out very well. There's a couple inches of USB cable hanging down between the main headliner and the panel at the top of the door, but otherwise it's invisible. Reception has been great, I've only lost the signal a couple times.

The one problem I did have was a flakey 4-port USB hub, which cause the USB device to disappear after 5-45 minutes. That was swapped out after a couple days and the problem went away.

Two of the last 3 weeks were spent road-tripping through unfamiliar places, and iGuidance pretty much rocked. I see now why GPS devices are so popular. :)