Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would someone PLEASE convince me that I need to start building the power harness for my carputer? :lol:

Find someone in your area with a CarPC already installed, play with it :cool:

Well, i started the CarPC process today...

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=164&l3=0&l4=0&model=2152&modelmenu=1

Bestbuy had this for $199 :eek:

1GB ram 4GB SSD with Linux installed, but while in bestbuy... I took over one of the demo PC's and did a quick search for putting XP on one of the Linux based Eee PC's. found all i need :cool:

I have a legal copy of XP Home sitting here, or i could go the not so legal Pro-SP3.

All it takes is running the setup from a USB thumbdrive, downloading the drivers off asus.com support site, and a program that strips the fat from the XP install CD, and only puts like 550mb footprint on the drive.

They had none in stock, so had to order it. will be here Thursday/Friday.

I played with Road Runner for XP, Frontend for carpc, I like it so far. it's free so i'll stick with that for now.

now only 2 more big price items.... screen and bezel.

not sure if i'll just dump a few USB drives in a HUB, or buy a cheap USB HD for more storage for MP3's.

I figure if i can't get the power button to work, modding it, i'll use the wake on lan trick some use.

I won't be doing the full install til spring, but i'll be sure and take pics when i start.

And if anyone wants to know, the Linux installed on the thing... sucks.

http://tairona.idg.com.au//mim.php/prodid/5506/vid/0/angleid/6/resid/2/s/5506

Just throwing my name in here, I am also FINALLY obtaining parts to put a CarPC in. Always wanted to put one in my old car, but in the Legacy it goes. Since I accepted the fact that my Legacy is my comfort car, I might as well put some nice touches to it.

Things I have already:

Mac Mini PPC 1.25 GHz w/ 120GB HDD, 1GB RAM - $100

Carnetix CNX-P1900 with MacPac cables - $90

Things I need:

JDM 1DIN Facia - $125 from Rallitek

7" VGA touchscreen - $270 off eBay

Some 8 or 10 AWG wiring - cheap

Already have a bluetooth GPS hardwired under the hood, currently using my Dell Axim X51V, so this CarPC will take over navigation duties as well.

I'll take lots of pictures and document it well for the community.

Cool. That seems like a pretty inexpensive recipe. :)

Yea I hope so. Just going through all the past installs, including yours. I'm the unlucky one without a wagon, so I have no idea where to put my power supply and Mac Mini. Any thoughts? I haven't seen behind the stock radio and cubby, how much space is back there?

Things I have already:

Mac Mini PPC 1.25 GHz w/ 120GB HDD, 1GB RAM - $100

$100?......

hell i'd do a mac for a CarPC if i found one for $100.....

used i take it?

And yes, we do have room under the floor, just like your wagon. not much... but some space.

I'll take a pic of the trunk shelf tomorrow if i remember. I'm tempted to use part of the shelf to put the CarPC in, pad it up of course. with the Netbooks and the minimac noted above, they both could easily fit in the shelf. I'll do some measuring also of the shelf itself cause i bet no modifications would be needed for me to put the Eee PC in it. only problem is ventilation.

But someone posted some pics using one of the sides of the trunk, refabricating the carpet to conceal/protect the CarPC. I like that idea. but i really doubt the Eee PC will get real hot or need much vent space. with no spindles in the entire thing, it will run a lot cooler than the average laptop.

Quick question:

so my CarPC has 4GB SSD. not going to cut it in the long run.

the way i see it, i have two options: USB sticks, or one of those 100+ GB external drives.

the USB sticks have no moving parts, probably generate zero/minimal heat. but limited in size.

the External drive, is a normal HD. so heat, needs padding, but gigantic for size.

any downfall to placing a external HD in the car? just keep it padded and keep it cool and it should be ok right?

Edited by Backlash

that's what i'm (and lots of other people) worried about. it was posted over on the centrafuse forums, but nobody from the Flux Team has commented on it yet :(
If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

$100?......

hell i'd do a mac for a CarPC if i found one for $100.....

used i take it?

And yes, we do have room under the floor, just like your wagon. not much... but some space.

I'll take a pic of the trunk shelf tomorrow if i remember. I'm tempted to use part of the shelf to put the CarPC in, pad it up of course. with the Netbooks and the minimac noted above, they both could easily fit in the shelf. I'll do some measuring also of the shelf itself cause i bet no modifications would be needed for me to put the Eee PC in it. only problem is ventilation.

But someone posted some pics using one of the sides of the trunk, refabricating the carpet to conceal/protect the CarPC. I like that idea. but i really doubt the Eee PC will get real hot or need much vent space. with no spindles in the entire thing, it will run a lot cooler than the average laptop.

Quick question:

so my CarPC has 4GB SSD. not going to cut it in the long run.

the way i see it, i have two options: USB sticks, or one of those 100+ GB external drives.

the USB sticks have no moving parts, probably generate zero/minimal heat. but limited in size.

the External drive, is a normal HD. so heat, needs padding, but gigantic for size.

any downfall to placing a external HD in the car? just keep it padded and keep it cool and it should be ok right?

Bro.

1) You buy 1 or 2 large capacity USB drives...you can have them in 4, 8, 16 and even 32 Gb.

2) or you buy an external laptop (2.5 inch) hardrive.

Your SSD drive - should have only the WinXP (use a software called nLITE to trim it out. It worked for me on my 3rd trial - the frist two times I had no sound...but the 3rd time I got it completely right - been using it like this for 8 month now and I am not lacking anything). Also on the SSD, you should have the front end software and the navigation engine. Plenty of space.

Music/Videos wise...just use USB drives - much easier to update, remove, etc and it will speed up the boot compared to the USB hardrive.

Not much space back there, I'm afraid.

Don't sedans have some space under the floor of the trunk?

I'm planning on putting the Mac Mini and USB hub in the glove compartment, since I don't put anything in there anyway. Hopefully it'll fit.

For the power supply, I think I may be able to squeeze it back there somewhere.

I worked at Fry's during the summer and someone returned the Mac Mini and upgraded through their service contract at Fry's. It supposedly overheated and had problems, but it has no problems. Manager let me have it for $100, lucky me!

I'm not really a Mac guy though, so i may be looking to change to a PC later, anyone use these before?

http://www.fit-pc.com/new/specifications.html

I'm not really a Mac guy though, so i may be looking to change to a PC later, anyone use these before?

http://www.fit-pc.com/new/specifications.html

I've played with a different AMD Geode box very briefly (running Windows CE, incidentally), and it was pretty slow. Something like that is better suited to acting as a terminal with a multi-user server behind it.

Consider that it runs at about 1/3 to 1/6 of the clock speed of a "real" computer, and it probably gets less done per clock cycle too. IIRC the Geode was designed to be power-efficient, not fast.

Bro.

1) You buy 1 or 2 large capacity USB drives...you can have them in 4, 8, 16 and even 32 Gb.

2) or you buy an external laptop (2.5 inch) hardrive.

Your SSD drive - should have only the WinXP (use a software called nLITE to trim it out. It worked for me on my 3rd trial - the frist two times I had no sound...but the 3rd time I got it completely right - been using it like this for 8 month now and I am not lacking anything). Also on the SSD, you should have the front end software and the navigation engine. Plenty of space.

Music/Videos wise...just use USB drives - much easier to update, remove, etc and it will speed up the boot compared to the USB hardrive.

thats what i figured, the USB thumbdrives would be better.

yeah, already have Nlite downloaded.

I like Centrafuse, but the pricetag made me cringe. thats why i'm going with the free frontend for now.

I find Centrafuse to not be very "custom friendly" What if I don't want buttons for TV and Radio on my screen? :iam:

Then go to Settings > Button Layout, and take them off. ;)

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I was gonna say - you take them off. But see Seb also took 7 hrs to install Windows 7 :-)) Centrafuse is everything RR is trying to be. Even Street Deck failed...as MP3CAR now carries it. I am not bashing RR, it can be done nicely and is more versatile than CF but I do not have the will power to tune it.

I was gonna say - you take them off. But see Seb also took 7 hrs to install Windows 7 :-)) Centrafuse is everything RR is trying to be. Even Street Deck failed...as MP3CAR now carries it. I am not bashing RR, it can be done nicely and is more versatile than CF but I do not have the will power to tune it.

the main reason i like RR over Centrafuse.... the $250 price tag for Centrafuse.

If i'm making all the CarPC stuff work myself, i'll mess with the free/cheap stuff before i fork over that kind of money for software...

I even thought of doing the whole CarPC in Linux just for that reason. RR is one of the biggest reasons i'll use winxp now. And there was a few things the Linux setup can't do (yet) that i wanted to do. maybe not right away, but eventually.

RR is a pain in the ass to configure and to get right. Yes, Centrafuse costs money, but it's easy to install and configure.

really?

then since it took me 20 minutes to get RR exactly how i want it already... I guess CF would be done in 3 seconds? :rolleyes:

Centrafuse is $250.... i don't care how much easier it is to use/install/configure. I got RR for free, and setup in 20 minutes.... that blows $250 away, no matter how easy it is.