Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, I salute you. I started down that path but chickened out. May have to reconsider this when the weather gets warm again.

Can you access the bottom of the boot by reaching under (over) the headliner near the door hinge? How did you reach the top of the boot? If I remember right, I couldn't access it even with the wing off.

• 1 month later...

Car PCs looking great....

But I am not techincally inclined in any way whatsoever, nor can I deal with anything not working flawlessly so I'm just planning on buying a double din nav and altering the cubby hole to fit it....

but can anyone lead me in the direction of a write up that teaches me how to cut the cubby hole and install an aftermarket double din nav?!?!

Please and thank you.

-Aaron

Read up from the beginning. You will see pictures from my install as well as that of a few other members. First 20 pages or so. Look for the relevant pictures.

Or else look up SALVI and send him a private message.

where are you located eggy? There may be a member near you that's willing to help.

In all honesty most of the in car installation is fairly easy to do. The car comes apart in just a few minutes (or at least after you've done it as many times as I have.) The hardest parts for me was a power source (since I ran one directly from the battery.. finding a hole in the firewall was nearly impossible.. wouldn't recommend it.) and getting cables under the carpet on its way to the trunk.

I wouldn't put it in the trunk if I had to do it again tho. Too much trouble.

One thing to mention, you can put in a navi system in the dash, or there's a guy here on the forums that can actually separate your climate control and radio and put in a separate unit. I'm sorry I don't have the name handy or I'd give it to you.

If you put a navi system in the cubby you have to cut the dash support, which is fine as long as the radio fills that hole but I suspect the dash may sag w/o the support.

You can also buy complete carputer stand alone boxes, but they are not cheap.

http://www.mp3car.com has a great online store with lost of resources.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Darkfox: I really want to do a carputer, because it seems a lot cooler/unique than a regular nav system, as well as being easier to fit in the cubby area, but someone's help is a must.

I am actually living in Japan right now but I'll be back in about 2 weeks and am gonna be picking up an 05 gt, I can meet people in Toronto or Nashville. If anyone wants to help me set up a system they will be compensated of course. With thanks and $ ;)

probably. But it looks like its limited a good bit to what it can do. I imagine a device that small isn't going to be particularly powerful.

I limit myself to windows boxes for carputer stuff, even tho its severely overblown for what we need, it means that theres more software out there for it.

I should avoid this thread.. I start talking about this stuff and it makes me want to try again.. this is too expensive of a hobby right now for me!

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I am from Chicago and I approve this Car PC thread.

(Toronto; Nashville - why not drive thru Chicago one day and we talk)

I might just do that ;)

Do you have a thread dedicated to your setup or anything? If I remember correctly you had one of the cleanest and seemingly problem free installs out there. I'd love to have something similar!

Awwwww I love you Darkfox1 (outside of the politics forum)

Errr, dude, I suggested you look at the first 20 pages of this thread. When you see pictures, you click. You will get several ideas in terms of dealing with the screen install. And the summary is here:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/96961-2005-jdm-spaceship-subaru-legacy-gt-install.html

I think by and large, my second post over there should cover your questions. No worries, you only have to click the link, the pictures are stored on LGT forums - but I do suggest you open an account over there regardless because that forum is the Bible for all CarPC nerds.

Edited by f1anatic

I can easily make him a complete CarPC system already wired/configured/ and all the needed software. The fabrication included as well if he wants and all he would have to do is just route the wires for the system and install it.

I can easily make him a complete CarPC system already wired/configured/ and all the needed software. The fabrication included as well if he wants and all he would have to do is just route the wires for the system and install it.

F1 Done!

and Salvi PM sent!

• 3 weeks later...
EEEPC with solid state 8 Gb memory - 350 dollars. CANNOT go wrong and it is almost the size of a DVD case from blockbuster. That is what i would buy. You can have the music on a USB drive of many Gb but the solid drive will make boot times a breeze and 8 Gb is more than enough for the Windows; front end and Navi software.

So now that laptops are so dirt cheap right now is it best to just buy a 350 dollar laptop to use for these systems? It seems like the best option...

I used a laptop in my system and I think it's the way to go. I mounted it with foam under it, and elastic cords over the corners of the laptop holding it down, for vibration isolation. It survived sub-freezing temperatures on several ski trips last season, with no trouble. I figure it's just as robust as anything else now. I bought an SSD for it the other day (hasn't arrived yet) but that was out of curiosity more than anything else.

The hardest part was getting wires to the power button. I don't know of any way to predict how hard that will be for any given laptop, you just have to open it up and see.

See if you can find one with all of the connections (power, VGA, USB) on the same side of the laptop, it makes for a tidy install. :)

Edited by NSFW